Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #46
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
Nope... they also had a 2.5 hour party, a dance assembly in the gym, cleaned their desks, did a thanksgiving project (this is 3rd grade, not Kindergarten mind you), and had a second party the next day for a birthday. And they watched another movie that wasn't Rio but she couldn't remember what it was.

Stacy
I'm not Alice, and I'm not a teacher, and I would be livid if my kids' school wasted this much time. Even for my 1st grader. I know that your point is that your kids could miss school without any issues. They're still young, so I beleive that. I just would have some serious, serious issues with the entire class wasting so much time, even during a shortened week.

FTR, our school doesn't allow for celebrating birthdays in the classroom. At a previous school, such a celebration would consist of handing out cupcakes at snack time. Parties are restricted to the last hour of a day--I happened to be there for the Christmas party for my DD9. The teacher continued to teach while the moms set up the food and activities. For her class to see a movie, they have to earn it through good behavior.

I'm really surprised that you're okay with so much wasted time. I would be so upset if my children were coasting through school. There's a really good chance this will bite them in the butt later, when they're ill-prepared for advanced classes down the road. I'm not trying to pick on you, I just think you may not realize that your kids are being shortchanged.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #47
allyphoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Reread the quote. She was out for a WEEK, then returned for the 2 days before Thanksgiving. She missed FIVE days of education, and missed NOTHING??? How is that possible?
Part of is is that the Monday before Thanksgiving was the day the entire 5th grade did Junior Achievement BizTown, and much of the week leading up to it was spent filling in the BizTown workbook. And the rest of it was, as another poster suggested, review for kids who need more repetition.

Quote:
Why aren't those bright kids being challenged?
In my DD's case, because her math teacher took an entire quarter of the school year to come up with the more-challenging math curriculum DD had been promised. I'd provided a list of above-level books I'd have been happy to provide, and links to downloadable competition sample problems, with the request that she spend a few minutes each day making sure DD felt confident tackling the next problem or two. The teacher decided that DD's challenge would be Ken-Ken and math palindromes. (Even the principal was floored by that one.)

At parent-teacher conferences, her language arts teacher asked if there was anything she could do differently. I asked her to please mark all of DD's spelling / punctuation / grammar errors, and to give her constructive criticism on how to better organize her writing. "But she already writes so much better than most of the other kids!" protested the teacher.

For the "I would be looking for another school" folks, easier said than done. The public school we're in is the only one available, and the teachers she has are the only ones available. The private schools locally all work on the "challenge means more homework" model, and I'd much rather my kid had 6 hours of free babysitting to read under her desk every day and her evenings open for following her own interests, than that my kid had 6 hours a day of extremely expensive babysitting and so much busywork in the evening that she had no time to follow her own interests. We've tried homeschooling; it's not an ideal solution for us, for multiple reasons.

For many kids, the best you can hope for regarding school is that you've picked the least-worst option, and what looks least-worst when you're picking is not always a very good fit in the end. This year was a particularly bad one for figuring out what option was least-worst, and there were several things I'd have done very differently if I'd known going in how it was going to turn out. Since we didn't know going in, we're stuck making the best of what we've got, and attempting to make entirely different mistakes next year.
allyphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #48
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Most people on the Disboards seem to have exceptionally bright kids. I guess my question is this: why are so many parents content with just having bright kids getting good grades? Why aren't those bright kids being challenged? Why is it OK that a bright kid can miss out on a week of education, and miss nothing?
Because in the era of budget cuts and teaching to the test that's just normal, so unless you have the means and proximity to send the kids to a good private school you learn to accept it.

There isn't an advanced track available in our district until high school. From K to 8 all kids get the same NCLB-testing-oriented course sequence except those who need special ed/remedial instruction. And this is a "good" school district; to be in a better district we'd have to be able to afford a home that cost at least 5x what ours did, or commit to driving an hour+ each way and hope a school-of-choice application is approved. So we deal with the shortcomings of the schools available to us the best way we know how, which includes outside enrichment and travel.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #49
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl

Just curious about something in this post. Your 7th grader only gets 10 minutes of homework every other night? My 4th grader gets about 45 minutes - 1 hour every night and that seems about the norm around here.
Yup. 10 minutes give or take every other night. Nothing on weekends until this year & then 2 weekend were projects assigned early in the week. I am not happy with this situation. 5th grade was much more homework for him. I do have "stuff" I feel he needs to work on other days. I would love to see him pushed more. Sorry it took so long for me to reply; I haven't been by this way!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #50
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyphoe

For the "I would be looking for another school" folks, easier said than done. The public school we're in is the only one available, and the teachers she has are the only ones available. The private schools locally all work on the "challenge means more homework" model, and I'd much rather my kid had 6 hours of free babysitting to read under her desk every day and her evenings open for following her own interests, than that my kid had 6 hours a day of extremely expensive babysitting and so much busywork in the evening that she had no time to follow her own interests. We've tried homeschooling; it's not an ideal solution for us, for multiple reasons.
It is similar for us. DD is in the advanced reading and language and above average (not perfect) in math. We did change schools, from a low performing school that was giving her, as a first grader, 6 years old, over an hour of homework a night plus 30 minutes of reading.

Now they are in a great school that believes in the balance between work and fun. They have one of the highest success rates in the state. They don't teach to a test they teach you how to think. Which means higher test scores, higher graduation rates and higher percentages of the children going to college.

Are the kids going to go to The International Academy in Bloomfield or to Cranbrook? No. But they are doing excellent.

As a side note, we believe the vacation is just as good for them. WDW improves their manners and interactions with other people in large crowd settings. Between the World Showcase and the tours they learn as much as they would in school....simply about different things. There is no knowledge that isn't good knowledge.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #51
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc

Reread the quote. She was out for a WEEK, then returned for the 2 days before Thanksgiving. She missed FIVE days of education, and missed NOTHING??? How is that possible?

Let me tell you what's going on this week in my geometry class: Tomorrow we're starting similar triangles; they'll be learning how to find the geometric mean, the 3rd proportional and the 4th proportional. Tuesday they'll learn the parallel line theorem in similar triangles. Wednesday they have a full period test. Thursday and Friday they'll be learning a three-part theorem that deals with the altitude to the hypotenuse of a right triangle, and solving linear and quadratic equations based on that theorem.

And the kids who are in school will know a lot more next week than they do right now. Any kids who are not in school will be behind.

On any level, there should be learning taking place in every single classroom, every single day. Kids should always end the week-- end the day even-- knowing more than when they began it. Otherwise, our classrooms aren't educating, they're babysitting. If I thought for a minute that my kids were doing nothing for an entire week, you had best believe the administration would be hearing from me.

Most people on the Disboards seem to have exceptionally bright kids. I guess my question is this: why are so many parents content with just having bright kids getting good grades? Why aren't those bright kids being challenged? Why is it OK that a bright kid can miss out on a week of education, and miss nothing?

As far as teachers "wanting their kids to succeed"-- of course I do!!! That's why I plan my lessons so carefully. Of course, that's of no good to someone who isn't there for my lessons. The other day, one of my honors kids came up with a theorem I've never seen before... along the lines of "Hey, is it always true that...?" I went home, proved his theorem, and came into school the next day and taught it to all my classes. (I also sent a memo to the members of my department, administration, and his guidance counselor.) No, it won't make him rich and no, it doesn't represent any significant change in the way we do the problem. But he came up with something I've never seen before. Why?? Because he was THERE.
I really wish my child had you for a teacher. I am NOT ok with the way things stand. I can't afford the other private school option. The only pushing & prodding come from home & Mom/Dad. We are in a school district where 130 out of 150 kids in the class made "honor roll". How is that possible? I am doing my best to explain that "it is important", "it does matter" & "yes, I know the teacher says you don't need to memorize your math facts, but believe me you do!" I have an assortment I use to put homework at 30 minutes per night, but I can do that anywhere. Yes, sometimes I really do feel like I homeschool! I also expect problems down the road with study habits & expectations because it has got to come back & bite him sometime. At least I hope it will!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #52
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
I really wish my child had you for a teacher. I am NOT ok with the way things stand. I can't afford the other private school option. The only pushing & prodding come from home & Mom/Dad. We are in a school district where 130 out of 150 kids in the class made "honor roll". How is that possible? I am doing my best to explain that "it is important", "it does matter" & "yes, I know the teacher says you don't need to memorize your math facts, but believe me you do!" I have an assortment I use to put homework at 30 minutes per night, but I can do that anywhere. Yes, sometimes I really do feel like I homeschool! I also expect problems down the road with study habits & expectations because it has got to come back & bite him sometime. At least I hope it will!
Wow. DD's math focus now is on the multiplication tables. They have to have them all memorized and be able to rattle them off. That will decrease the time it takes for them to do the work in algebra and long division when they get there. I can't imagine them NOT doing math facts.

DS is in 1st grade and he already knows about 1/4 of his multiplication tables.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #53
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright

Wow. DD's math focus now is on the multiplication tables. They have to have them all memorized and be able to rattle them off. That will decrease the time it takes for them to do the work in algebra and long division when they get there. I can't imagine them NOT doing math facts.

DS is in 1st grade and he already knows about 1/4 of his multiplication tables.

Stacy
Nope, our school district frowns on the "kill & drill" of math facts as wasted time. There is sooo much wrong with my son's school that I don't even know where to begin. We are stuck for now, so keep supplimenting as if we are homeschoolers, which is hard because after 6 hours of school who wants to hear mom say: nope, not done!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #54
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

I'm sorry to hear about the people who have less than challenging school districts. We're fortunate to have a great one--dumb luck, as we only looked at 4 houses when we moved here, and wound up in the #2 district in the state. We also have an assortment of private schools, a charter school, and school choice here.

Since we're leaving soon, I just wrote my letter to the teachers--I had talked to them previously, to make sure there wasn't an issue. In addition to any schoolwork to be done, I'm having my kids (DD9, DS6) keep journals, try a new food each day, and I'll have "Mommy worksheets" made up. These will include things like, "Learn to say thank-you in 3 languages." "Calculate the airplane's speed, given the time and distance travelled." I'll have to throw a bunch of science ones in there for my little science nerd (DD9).
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: