Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other
 
Aliceacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,401

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyphoe View Post
She missed nothing that week.
I would be shopping for a new school.
__________________
DH: me: DS (16) , DD (14): DD (11):


I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #32
Srbright
Mouseketeer
 
Srbright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc

I would be shopping for a new school.
For not missing anything in the two days before Thanksgiving? We live in one of the highest ranked school districts in the USA (test scores, graduation rate, and college attendance) . DD's class watched "Because of Winn Dixie" and "Rio" for those two days.

Stacy
__________________
October 2014 CBR 7N/8D
(Was CSR (9N/10D), POR (8N/9D) & ASMo (6N/7D), how many times can I change it?)
September 2013 - POR (9N/10D)
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #33
sk!mom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
For not missing anything in the two days before Thanksgiving? We live in one of the highest ranked school districts in the USA (test scores, graduation rate, and college attendance) . DD's class watched "Because of Winn Dixie" and "Rio" for those two days.

Stacy

Over and over? A school day is longer than a movie. If my child could miss a week without "missing anything," I would question the quality of the education she's receiving.

That being said, I had no problem with pulling DD out in elementary. She's a good student and we were fully capable of offering any instruction that she missed. Even so, we pulled her for vacation only once for an additional two days after a short break.

By middle school it was out of the question. DD is an excellent student but her classes are very fast paced and she would never enjoy a vacation with all the work hanging over her head. She's a junior now and would refuse to miss school if we suggested it.
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #34
Srbright
Mouseketeer
 
Srbright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk!mom View Post
Over and over? A school day is longer than a movie. If my child could miss a week without "missing anything,"

Nope... they also had a 2.5 hour party, a dance assembly in the gym, cleaned their desks, did a thanksgiving project (this is 3rd grade, not Kindergarten mind you), and had a second party the next day for a birthday. And they watched another movie that wasn't Rio but she couldn't remember what it was.

Stacy
__________________
October 2014 CBR 7N/8D
(Was CSR (9N/10D), POR (8N/9D) & ASMo (6N/7D), how many times can I change it?)
September 2013 - POR (9N/10D)
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #35
cobright
DIS Veteran
 
cobright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 958

Perhaps she missed nothing that week because she's a bright kid and what instruction was missed was enforcements learning before the break.

I know that my daughter and son could go into a coma for 10 days come out of it and be back on par with the rest of their class in 2-3 days.

Thankfully most vacations have opportunities for learning that most comas do not.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #36
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran
 
theworldneedscolor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 780

I am a junior in high school taking difficult courses, and I still can miss school. Teachers want you to succeed and are willing to work with you to make that happen.
__________________
DMom DDad Me! DSister Leroy Oreo

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #37
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other
 
Aliceacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,401

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyphoe View Post
This past November, we took 5th grade DD out for a week; she was back in school for 2 days and then they had Thanksgiving break. I'd been hesitant in the past to take her out, because of the whole "even smart kids fall behind" thing. Let me tell you, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. She missed nothing that week.

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
For not missing anything in the two days before Thanksgiving?
Stacy
Reread the quote. She was out for a WEEK, then returned for the 2 days before Thanksgiving. She missed FIVE days of education, and missed NOTHING??? How is that possible?

Let me tell you what's going on this week in my geometry class: Tomorrow we're starting similar triangles; they'll be learning how to find the geometric mean, the 3rd proportional and the 4th proportional. Tuesday they'll learn the parallel line theorem in similar triangles. Wednesday they have a full period test. Thursday and Friday they'll be learning a three-part theorem that deals with the altitude to the hypotenuse of a right triangle, and solving linear and quadratic equations based on that theorem.

And the kids who are in school will know a lot more next week than they do right now. Any kids who are not in school will be behind.

On any level, there should be learning taking place in every single classroom, every single day. Kids should always end the week-- end the day even-- knowing more than when they began it. Otherwise, our classrooms aren't educating, they're babysitting. If I thought for a minute that my kids were doing nothing for an entire week, you had best believe the administration would be hearing from me.

Most people on the Disboards seem to have exceptionally bright kids. I guess my question is this: why are so many parents content with just having bright kids getting good grades? Why aren't those bright kids being challenged? Why is it OK that a bright kid can miss out on a week of education, and miss nothing?

As far as teachers "wanting their kids to succeed"-- of course I do!!! That's why I plan my lessons so carefully. Of course, that's of no good to someone who isn't there for my lessons. The other day, one of my honors kids came up with a theorem I've never seen before... along the lines of "Hey, is it always true that...?" I went home, proved his theorem, and came into school the next day and taught it to all my classes. (I also sent a memo to the members of my department, administration, and his guidance counselor.) No, it won't make him rich and no, it doesn't represent any significant change in the way we do the problem. But he came up with something I've never seen before. Why?? Because he was THERE.
__________________
DH: me: DS (16) , DD (14): DD (11):


I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 01-13-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #38
sk!mom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Reread the quote. She was out for a WEEK, then returned for the 2 days before Thanksgiving. She missed FIVE days of education, and missed NOTHING??? How is that possible?

Let me tell you what's going on this week in my geometry class: Tomorrow we're starting similar triangles; they'll be learning how to find the geometric mean, the 3rd proportional and the 4th proportional. Tuesday they'll learn the parallel line theorem in similar triangles. Wednesday they have a full period test. Thursday and Friday they'll be learning a three-part theorem that deals with the altitude to the hypotenuse of a right triangle, and solving linear and quadratic equations based on that theorem.

And the kids who are in school will know a lot more next week than they do right now. Any kids who are not in school will be behind.

On any level, there should be learning taking place in every single classroom, every single day. Kids should always end the week-- end the day even-- knowing more than when they began it. Otherwise, our classrooms aren't educating, they're babysitting. If I thought for a minute that my kids were doing nothing for an entire week, you had best believe the administration would be hearing from me.

Most people on the Disboards seem to have exceptionally bright kids. I guess my question is this: why are so many parents content with just having bright kids getting good grades? Why aren't those bright kids being challenged? Why is it OK that a bright kid can miss out on a week of education, and miss nothing?

As far as teachers "wanting their kids to succeed"-- of course I do!!! That's why I plan my lessons so carefully. Of course, that's of no good to someone who isn't there for my lessons. The other day, one of my honors kids came up with a theorem I've never seen before... along the lines of "Hey, is it always true that...?" I went home, proved his theorem, and came into school the next day and taught it to all my classes. (I also sent a memo to the members of my department, administration, and his guidance counselor.) No, it won't make him rich and no, it doesn't represent any significant change in the way we do the problem. But he came up with something I've never seen before. Why?? Because he was THERE.
I changed the color because I always wonder the same thing. Why are so many parents satisfied with a school that you could skip without missing anything?

As I said up thread, I was willing to take DD out in elementary because we could handle the material and catch her up. By middle school and high school, her classes were very fast paced and we weren't as comfortable with catching her up. She simply would not enjoy a vacation as much. PreCal and Physics, this year, are definitely beyond DH and I helping her and they move fast. She missed a couple of days in the Fall due to illness and she missed a lot in those two classes. Catching up was stressful! Oh, and I have the stereotypically smart Dis kid
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 3,881

I agree with the PP's--if your child isn't missing anything, there's something seriously wrong with the school. We leave in 2 weeks, and I expect a lot of make-up work for DD9 (4th grade). She gets homework every night, plus what they do in school. How can there not be lots of work to make up? She's also in the advanced math group--I know they go over concepts fairly quickly. She understands them, and she loves math, but I'll be watching closely to make sure she stays on top of things. You can miss a week of math, even 4th grade math, and miss a few concepts. It's even worse if you're in the accelerated group, because the teacher doesn't repeat things 25 times like might for a more heterogenous group.

I'll also say that my older two kids (15 and 17) wouldn't dream of missing school for a vacation. They simply wouldn't want to miss the instruction and homework--it wouldn't be worth a vacation to them. They would be so stressed! DD17 even asked me a couple years ago to avoid scheduling doctor's appointments, etc. during school hours, because she didn't want to miss anything. While she's a good student, she works hard for her grades.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other
 
Aliceacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,401

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
I know that my daughter and son could go into a coma for 10 days come out of it and be back on par with the rest of their class in 2-3 days.
.
And you're OK with that? There's no individual instruction, no work to challenge their minds and their curiosity?? They're in a holding pattern, waitng for their classmates to catch up, instead of learning all the glorious things there are to learn in this world, and it's OK??

I'm sorry, I simply do not understand how.
__________________
DH: me: DS (16) , DD (14): DD (11):


I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #41
Srbright
Mouseketeer
 
Srbright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc

And you're OK with that? There's no individual instruction, no work to challenge their minds and their curiosity?? They're in a holding pattern, waitng for their classmates to catch up, instead of learning all the glorious things there are to learn in this world, and it's OK??

I'm sorry, I simply do not understand how.
They are in first and third grade. It happens that cobright and I have similar experiences because we share the same children. (Although we should applaud him that he's involved in this trip BEFORE the week before we go this time).

I thought I had made it clear enough that they were in elementary school at the beginning if the thread. Also, because of our own education and mindset the children are as challenged at home as they are at school.

So, does that fact that they didn't miss anything in the two days before Thanksgiving or the week before Thanksgiving bother me? No. Because they have to have breaks and have fun.

Stacy
__________________
October 2014 CBR 7N/8D
(Was CSR (9N/10D), POR (8N/9D) & ASMo (6N/7D), how many times can I change it?)
September 2013 - POR (9N/10D)
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #42
taitai
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
Nope... they also had a 2.5 hour party, a dance assembly in the gym, cleaned their desks, did a thanksgiving project (this is 3rd grade, not Kindergarten mind you), and had a second party the next day for a birthday. And they watched another movie that wasn't Rio but she couldn't remember what it was.

Stacy
They do this when they should be learning and this works for your family? A 2.5 hour party? Really? We have parties but they are capped at 60 minutes. You do NOT go over as they need to get back to studies. We NEVER have birthday parties at school. Birthday parties take place outside of the classroom on the weekends. I can't imagine anything like that at our school. My kids, who like all kids on the Dis, are super bright and excellent students. In all the advanced/gifted programs available to them. They are challenged at school. They learn new and interesting things every day. They also complete ALL of their instruction each day in a foreign language (Immersion program). So, while yes, I could teach my 3rd grader the differences between scalene and right triangles and all about complimentary angles, etc., I can't do it in Mandarin. I don't know the language and the words. Not learning that in school would put them behind the rest of the class and would be hard to catch up.

Every time I read these threads, I am so, so, incredibly happy that we live where we do and that our kids have the teachers and school they have. They are so fortunate to be challenged and engaged every day.
taitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #43
cobright
DIS Veteran
 
cobright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
And you're OK with that? There's no individual instruction, no work to challenge their minds and their curiosity?? They're in a holding pattern, waitng for their classmates to catch up, instead of learning all the glorious things there are to learn in this world, and it's OK??

I'm sorry, I simply do not understand how.
Aliceacc, I'm going to tell you how. More than that I'm going to give you some insight as to exactly why you struggle to understand what is to me, and others like me, a simple observation of reality.

You have eagerly given your judgement about the capabilities of children and classrooms you have never met if you are unhappy underneath that same lens then I apologize. This post might not be to your liking but please understand that it is written with love.

I take from your post that you are a teacher. It is my experience that teachers believe that they provide 90-100% of the total academic instruction each of their students receives while attending school. Without a formal study to back this up, I'm willing to concede that in most cases this is an accurate estimate.

Why do I ascribe this mentality to you? Fair question (that I only imagine you have asked). Because when someone mentioned taking their children out of class you immediately lamented their loss of instruction as if their daily bread were being deprived. When I suggested that my children were roughly 8 days ahead of their classmates at any given point (or could be made to be so leading up to a vacation), you suggested that meant they were devoid of learning, of instruction, and simply waiting for for their classmates to catch up.

You have suggested that there could ever be a moment when my children's minds and curiosity are not being challenged. This position could only be uttered out of ignorance. This position would be laughable if it weren't held so earnestly by so many teachers like yourself. And do not take this as a slight against the profession. We do not and would not homeschool and we value our children's teachers as an integral part of their development.

As a teacher you necessarily devote 80% of your resources to the neediest 20% of your students. I'm sure that without you most of your students would never learn the proofs of Euclid. But you must accept that may exist a student who will learn them just fine with or without you.

You must accept that even being deprived of you for a week, some students will grow into just as great or awful an adult as if they had forsaken that fortnight of recreation. And you must accept that it is the parents of that student who are in the best place to make that decision and not yourself. To do otherwise goes beyond ignorance and marks you, even more terribly, as arrogant.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #44
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other
 
Aliceacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,401



To each his own, folks. I'll save the name calling for those who seem to enjoy it.

Enjoy your trip.
__________________
DH: me: DS (16) , DD (14): DD (11):


I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #45
cobright
DIS Veteran
 
cobright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 958

No one's calling you names Alice.

If you feel it personally when I suggest it is arrogant for a teacher to believe themselves the exclusive source of academic growth in every child's life, well then that feeling comes from inside of you.

Now if you tell me that you know for certain that my children will be worse off academically if they miss 5 days of classroom instruction, then I might call you arrogant. But you (and as a result I) haven't, and I doubt you will. You won't because you don't know me or my kids and to suggest this would be horribly rude and arrogant. I know those words don't describe you anymore than the blind judgement you made about the necessary effects of missing a week of class describe my kids or their school.

See how that works? I accept on faith that the disparaging remarks and implications you made about parents choices and priorities concerning their children's education were not meant for me. Following this logic you accept that when I say people who say such things about me and my family (which you do not) are arrogant jerks.

The only way you can suggest that I am calling you names is by admitting that you were being a judgmental boor in the first place. There is something to this about wanting a cake and eating it too.

An easy solution would be, when someone asks a practical question, give them a practical answer and skip the bromides and sermons.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.