Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
CammelleandBre
Mouseketeer

My dd will miss 5 days out for our trip in 10 days. I'm not worried about it she's a straight A student, and a fast learner. Do what you like. They are your kids.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
As I read some of the threads on this...

We are going back to WDW in September for 9 days. The kids will miss school for 6 days. DD will be in 4th grade, DS will be in 2nd grade.

Last year they both missed 5 days which were excused. The law in Michigan says that a child has to have 10 unexcused absences before they are considered truant. So there is no issue with the school. They do their math and their reading and we are all set.

Is there an age or cut off that people stop taking their kids out of school?

It isn't a question of money for when we go but it isn't a vacation if I have to stand in 95 degree heat with 90% humidity and wait an hour to ride Dumbo or 2 hours for Splash Mountain or Space Mountain.

We went last September and the longest wait time we had was 15 minutes for Dumbo. We walked onto BTMRR (3 times in a row, just kept circling around), Haunted Mansion, POTC, Mission Space, pretty much every single ride or attraction.

We actually went to Epcot and all 4 of us held hands and stretched out and were still 5 or 6 car lengths away from the next person in the park.

Stacy
I let my DD10 decide. Afterall, it is her grades that we are *worried* about and her that has all of the makeup work. There is no set # of days she can't be out as it's a private school. But, they have a policy that all classwork and homework is to be made up upon the return to school. It is not give beforehand. It was very difficult for her in Grade 4 to do the makeup class/homework on top of the current homework and she is a straight A student. We have all decided that we will no longer pull her from school now that she will be entering in grade 5. We are going during our April vacation. I tried August and it was just way too hot. We have been enough times and use FP so we will not wait in any lines for 2 hours. No ride is worth that wait for us.

Good luck with your decision.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Midde school was the cut-off for us. We felt it would be too much work for our kids to catch up, and the kids wouldn't enjoy vacation if they were stressing about school. It really depends on the child--at that age, I think they're old enough to provide input in this regard. I would watch carefully for signs of struggling to catch up, and stress over school.

That said, I'm going in 2 weeks, with just my younger two (DD9, DS6). My older two are in HS (DD17, DS15), and have no problem skipping this trip. They don't want to miss school and work. DH will stay home with them, while I take the little guys. My older two are actually thrilled that I get to do this with the younger two, because I did it with them when THEY were in elementary school.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #19
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

My 4th grader was taken out for a week in November for a trip to WDW and it was totally excused. Her school is great and the Principal believes that family trips are quite educational as well. Her teacher sent her work with her and she worked on it on the trip down and back. She even finished assignments the class never got to.

My 4th grader is an all A student and never missed a beat. I do have to say that she is the type child that could be "unschooled" as she loves learning and will research and investigate what she wants to learn.

My high schooler, I will not take out of school. Both kids were taken out of school for 4 days in August (we start the first to second week of August) fo a funeral out of state. My high schooler had a hard time catching back up and she is a very smart kid in honors classes. It was just really hard on her so no more missing school for her.

My 4th grader did bring her teacher back some gifts and brought her class back some treats. It was what she wanted to do.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #20
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

I have taken DD9 out of school each year for anywhere from a couple days to a total of 2 weeks (2 individual weeks) and I would continue to do so as long as her grades hold up. My problem is that DD4 will start school this September and I am not sure how she is going to fare in school so I will be scheduling our trip this year so that we arrive home the day before school starts. If she does well in school then I would consider changing it the following year.
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #21
wendyt_ca
DIS Veteran

My little brother is 10 and we will be taking him out if school for 4 days to go to WDW in May. We have no issues.

HRH/GFV Sept 5-Sept 13, 2014/GCF/Vegas April 26-May 3, 2014/AKL SV(DVC)/BLT TPV(DVC) Oct 12-20, 2013 (Girl's Trip)/AOA/AKL SV(DVC) - May 12-20,2013 (1st Trip with little brother)/Townhouse condo off-site - Feb 13-20, 2013/AKL SV/BLT TPV (DVC) - Oct 3-9, 2012 / DLH Paris (DVC) - Sept 10-12, 2012 - London/Paris vacation/AKL(DVC) - April 21-29th, 2012(Girl's trip)/Split Stay - Poly TPV/AKL SV/CR MK View - Oct 11 - 19, 2011 /CBR Oct 31 - Nov 8, 2010 /The Venetian Las Vegas Sept 25 - 30, 2010 - First trip to Disneyland / CSR Nov 27 - Dec 8 2009 /POP June 15, 2008 - June 25, 2008 - Our Disney Honeymoon / Sheraton Vistana Sept 22, 2006-30, 2006 - First Trip/DH proposed during Wishes in Rose Garden
wendyt_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #22
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I know I'm in the minority, but it's not something we would ever consider.

We take our vacations over the summer. For what it's worth, in the past 3 trips we've only waited on line more than 20 minutes ONCE for any ride... I was a newbie and we got to Toy Story Mania at 1 pm.

And, just for the record, a kid who misses an entire week in my Geometry class--whether it's for the flu or any other reason-- is in some serious trouble. It's hard to learn math from someone else's notes, and almost impossible for most kids to learn it from a textbook...yes, even for all those A students. If a teacher ever told me my kids wouldn't miss much during a weeklong absence, I would be seriously concerned about what was going on in that class.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 01-10-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #23
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

I too am a teacher and have had students out for Disney trips, as well as taken my own child out for Disney trips now that I'm able to stay at home. My opinion is that as long as the kids make up any work missed then there are no problems being out. The first time we pulled our then 9 year old (4th grader) out for a Disney trip we requested the work in advance and he made it up while on break as we went the week before Christmas break. We just pulled him out at now 12 years old (7th grade) for a surprise trip and he made his work up when he returned. For us its a lesson in opportunity cost. We enjoy the vacations and our time together much more when we aren't sardined in with others. Off season rates help too, but they aren't a deciding factor. As my oldest nears high school I wonder how often we'll be able to pull him out, but I figure we have at least one more year and then we'll play it by ear as we evaluate his performance in school.

I should mention too that my husband is in the military so we have done our trips Pre and post deployment. The school district excuses these absences since we can't always vacation as a family when the kids are on break. For our last surprise trip his teachers excused most of his work except for any tests and major projects/assignments. This is the first time we pulled him out on this district and we were surprised by this, but I know he appreciated it!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 2/2015 -POFQ; 5/2015 - WL

Last edited by lovingeire; 01-10-2013 at 08:40 AM.
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

We are extending DSs 7th grade vacation by 3 days. Airfare was a difference of $1500. That is almost the total price of my hotel & tickets, so he will miss some school again. I have never had the school give me work in advance, I have asked & been ignored: other parents do get, so I will try again. My son gets about 10 minutes of homework every other night. 2 days since September it has been over 1 hour. There have not been a lot of projects & tests seem to be given prior to vacation. We will see how it goes this year & re-evaluate for next year. Last year, he had 1 night of a lot of homework, maybe 2 hours, that caught up 3 days. Risk/reward worked for us last year. He had also missed a couple days sick last year, which he hasn't this year. Wishing you the best!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
nat8199
Mouseketeer

My DD will be missing a week of Junior K for our Disney trip. I could not care less. I will continue to pull her out for vacations, though we will not be doing Disney again for probably 5 years, as I see fit.

However, I will definitely be reevaluating each year. My cut-off will probably be middle school.

I will definitely not take my kids out of high school. Unless it is for a once in a lifetime thing, like an all expense paid African safari. By middle school Disney will be a school break only trip.

Too many pre-family to count!

Me - 32 DH - 34 DD - 5 DS - 4 DS - 4
nat8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
We are extending DSs 7th grade vacation by 3 days. Airfare was a difference of $1500. That is almost the total price of my hotel & tickets, so he will miss some school again. I have never had the school give me work in advance, I have asked & been ignored: other parents do get, so I will try again. My son gets about 10 minutes of homework every other night. 2 days since September it has been over 1 hour. There have not been a lot of projects & tests seem to be given prior to vacation. We will see how it goes this year & re-evaluate for next year. Last year, he had 1 night of a lot of homework, maybe 2 hours, that caught up 3 days. Risk/reward worked for us last year. He had also missed a couple days sick last year, which he hasn't this year. Wishing you the best!
Just curious about something in this post. Your 7th grader only gets 10 minutes of homework every other night? My 4th grader gets about 45 minutes - 1 hour every night and that seems about the norm around here.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl

Just curious about something in this post. Your 7th grader only gets 10 minutes of homework every other night? My 4th grader gets about 45 minutes - 1 hour every night and that seems about the norm around here.
Us too. DD is in 3rd grade and she has 45 mins minimum.

DS has about 10 mins plus reading in first grade.

Stacy
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
My 4th grader also gets about an hour or little more worth of homework every night but Friday and thankfully tonight as they have an awards ceremony tonight for part of the kids. My older daughter is in high school but even in middle school she had homework almost every night and it was not 10 minutes worth.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #29
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

we'll be taking my DD out of school for over a week for the 6th year in a row -- we always ask for work in advance and she is always reminded that she's lucky she can do her hw sitting by the pool rather than in a classroom. She's also done it in Africa in AK and in Epcot in The Land.

btw, she has 1-2 hours of hw each night, while many of her friends at other schools who are in grade 7 have none. They recently released a report in Canada stating that kids who didn't have hw did more reading on their own, so they had higher literacy rates. So I feel pretty good about my DD having time to read for fun on her trips.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #30
allyphoe
DIS Veteran

This past November, we took 5th grade DD out for a week; she was back in school for 2 days and then they had Thanksgiving break. I'd been hesitant in the past to take her out, because of the whole "even smart kids fall behind" thing. Let me tell you, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. She missed nothing that week.

I talked to the principal beforehand, and she told me it would be an unexcused absence. I said that would be great, because kids aren't allowed to make up homework for unexcused absences, and I'd actually prefer having the consequence be a week of zeros than a week of makeup work. DD did end up making up the (very very little) graded work the class did that week, and the online attendance system shows that the absences were excused under the "principal's discretion" clause.
allyphoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: