Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Children Missing School

As I read some of the threads on this...

We are going back to WDW in September for 9 days. The kids will miss school for 6 days. DD will be in 4th grade, DS will be in 2nd grade.

Last year they both missed 5 days which were excused. The law in Michigan says that a child has to have 10 unexcused absences before they are considered truant. So there is no issue with the school. They do their math and their reading and we are all set.

Is there an age or cut off that people stop taking their kids out of school?

It isn't a question of money for when we go but it isn't a vacation if I have to stand in 95 degree heat with 90% humidity and wait an hour to ride Dumbo or 2 hours for Splash Mountain or Space Mountain.

We went last September and the longest wait time we had was 15 minutes for Dumbo. We walked onto BTMRR (3 times in a row, just kept circling around), Haunted Mansion, POTC, Mission Space, pretty much every single ride or attraction.

We actually went to Epcot and all 4 of us held hands and stretched out and were still 5 or 6 car lengths away from the next person in the park.

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

We're going next month, with all 3 kids, for our anniversary. One child is 29, and will be coming with her partner. The second is 27 and will bring her husband and their 2 kids, age 2-1/2 and 8 months. The third is a 17-year old high school senior. She'll be out for a week.

I have no qualms about taking her out for a week. She is college bound, takes mostly advanced classes, and is an A student.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Kristian
Mouseketeer

September is our favorite time of year for Disney. This past September the longest we waited in line to ride anything the entire week was maybe 15 minutes, and that was Peter Pan on the night of MNSSHP during the time that a lot of people were in Fantasyland trick or treating. We had planned to go back in September this year and we still might, but we are looking at trying to go in May. Our dd, who is 4, will be starting school this fall and if we go in September she will miss 5 days. It's preschool, so I don't mind at all for her to miss. However, it is her first year in school and basically we'd only be in school for a week before she would have to miss for a week due to our vacation. Were trying to make the trip in May in order to keep from having to take her out of school after just starting her first year. With that being said, I see no problem with you letting your kids miss school if it won't be a problem with them missing. I think that as long as grades are good and they can miss and not fall behind, then go for it. I think that it get's harder for kids to miss as they get older, like in Junior High and High School. Some friends of ours were planning on taking their 14 year old out of school for a week to go to Disney and even though she had the days to be able to go and they were going to be excused, the daughter decided that she didn't want to miss because of her AP courses. She could have made up the work, but there would have been a lot of it, and she just didn't want to miss that much class. It really just depends on each child individually.

Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
lfortin16
Mouseketeer

teacher's opinion

I think family time and family vacations are very important. I am a teacher of grades k - 5. 1 week (or a little more) out of school isn't too bad, as long as the kids keep up on their reading and math. If your kids are good students, it shouldn't be a problem. It might be harder to catch up when they get to grades 8 - 11, but not impossible.

I wish I could take time off to do the same thing. As a teacher, I'm limited to school vacations and summer- all peak crowds.

Have a great time!
lfortin16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

My kids miss a week of school each year for our vacations. This year they are 12 and 10 years old and will be missing 7 school days for our trip. To me, it has to do with how your child does in school. If a child is a struggling student, then missing a week of school can be catastrophic. If they are on the brink of failing a grade then to me, it would not be worth it... because that would be putting the child in a no-win situation which is unfair to them. Likewise, if a child is a chronic school skipper, then it would be hard to justify taking an entire week+ off of school for a trip. I'm thinking the teacher who posted previously to this, would probably agree with that sentiment.

However, if there are no issues with grades, or keeping up with assignments, etc, then I will always feel okay about my kids missing one week out of the year for our family vacations. I sort of treat my kids to the week off because they work so hard at their grades, and being good students (for the most part )

BTW - when my step-daughter got to high school, she opted to not go on trips that kept her out of school for a week at a time. She did not WANT to miss a whole week, and we allowed her that choice, which wasn't a big deal, since she lived with her mother at the time. So if my other two get to a point where the stress over missing a week, we will have re-evaluate our "trip philosphy". LOL.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post

We are going back to WDW in September for 9 days. The kids will miss school for 6 days. DD will be in 4th grade, DS will be in 2nd grade.

Last year they both missed 5 days which were excused. The law in Michigan says that a child has to have 10 unexcused absences before they are considered truant. So there is no issue with the school. They do their math and their reading and we are all set.

It isn't a question of money for when we go but it isn't a vacation if I have to stand in 95 degree heat with 90% humidity and wait an hour to ride Dumbo or 2 hours for Splash Mountain or Space Mountain.

We went last September and the longest wait time we had was 15 minutes for Dumbo. We walked onto BTMRR (3 times in a row, just kept circling around), Haunted Mansion, POTC, Mission Space, pretty much every single ride or attraction.

We actually went to Epcot and all 4 of us held hands and stretched out and were still 5 or 6 car lengths away from the next person in the park.

Stacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
My kids miss a week of school each year for our vacations. This year they are 12 and 10 years old and will be missing 7 school days for our trip. To me, it has to do with how your child does in school. If a child is a struggling student, then missing a week of school can be catastrophic. If they are on the brink of failing a grade then to me, it would not be worth it... because that would be putting the child in a no-win situation which is unfair to them. Likewise, if a child is a chronic school skipper, then it would be hard to justify taking an entire week+ off of school for a trip. I'm thinking the teacher who posted previously to this, would probably agree with that sentiment.

However, if there are no issues with grades, or keeping up with assignments, etc, then I will always feel okay about my kids missing one week out of the year for our family vacations. I sort of treat my kids to the week off because they work so hard at their grades, and being good students (for the most part )

BTW - when my step-daughter got to high school, she opted to not go on trips that kept her out of school for a week at a time. She did not WANT to miss a whole week, and we allowed her that choice, which wasn't a big deal, since she lived with her mother at the time. So if my other two get to a point where the stress over missing a week, we will have re-evaluate our "trip philosphy". LOL.
We had no problems taking the kids out of school for the last few years. My kids are 12 and 10. Now that my DS is in 7th grade we decided not to continue and we will have to go at a vacation time. He is an honors student and certainly would have no problem keeping up if we did take him out. DD does well in school (they don't use letter grades) and has never had issues with being out.

I would say it is a personal decision and ours was to keep DS in school for middle school and up. I would have no problem taking my kids out if we felt it was what we wanted. We just felt middle school was a good time to limit the time out of classes and the workload is a lot more than in the earlier grades. We do have friends that pull their kids every year and will continue to do it. I see no ill effects and it's great to see them spend the family time together as the kids get older.

mm1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
mouse2mouse
Mouseketeer

We just took ours out for 5days. DS-college, DS-high school, DD-middle school and DD elementary. They are in a private school and I cleared it at the begining of the year. I followed up with all the teachers and had their missed work ahead of time. It was frustrating to get them to do the work but I wouldn't change it for anything. It was one of our best trips yet!! It is the best vacation for our family

I had them do the work before we left. We went the week after Thanksgiving...so it worked out while they were out for Thanksgiving to do the work.
mouse2mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I really have no problems taking the kids out of school. We always take homework and missed assignments.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post

Stacy
We have taken our children out of school (for various reasons) each year for at least 6 days ea. time from Kindergarten through 12th grade. Never a problem, they were all honor students. I just kept a good rapport with the teachers and principal at all the various schools, did volunteer work, and was never turned down when we needed time off.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Our kids have only missed 2-3 days due to disneyworld. Not a big deal. My daughter was in preschool last year when we went and my son had his assignments sent home. The year before last it was nice because we drove down, so he did them on the way there and back. A couple days isn't a big deal. Would I do a week? No....he would miss way too much. We had the flu about a month ago and he missed 3 days of school and it took him a week after he went back to catch up. I also wouldn't go to disney in Sept. I'm sure it's great crowd wise but that's right when the kids are going back to school and getting into a school routine again. However...missing school isn't that big of a deal in the long run....I say go for it!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Some people don't do it to begin with.

Some people stop taking kids out of school when they hit middle school.

Some people don't have a cutoff at all.

Your mileage may very. Void where prohibited.

Please be aware of your school district and state policies regarding unexcused absences.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
dragonfly08
DIS Veteran

Totally depends on your kids and their teacher/school.

I would never take my 4th grader out for more than a day if I could help it, definitely not a week. While her teacher would absolutely work with her and provide make-up assignments, IMO it wouldn't be worth the amount of time and effort DD would have to put into catching up. She's in an advanced program and earns excellent grades, so it's not at all that she's a "struggling student". But she's also easily stressed and very sensitive. With over an hour of homework each night, plus the morning independent work and other class activities she'd have to make up, it's more pressure than I'm willing to put her under for a vacation. YMMV...some kids would handle that better than mine would.

My kindergartener, on the other hand, I'd pull for a week no problem if I wanted/needed to.
dragonfly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly08 View Post
Totally depends on your kids and their teacher/school.

I would never take my 4th grader out for more than a day if I could help it, definitely not a week. While her teacher would absolutely work with her and provide make-up assignments, IMO it wouldn't be worth the amount of time and effort DD would have to put into catching up. She's in an advanced program and earns excellent grades, so it's not at all that she's a "struggling student". But she's also easily stressed and very sensitive. With over an hour of homework each night, plus the morning independent work and other class activities she'd have to make up, it's more pressure than I'm willing to put her under for a vacation. YMMV...some kids would handle that better than mine would.

My kindergartener, on the other hand, I'd pull for a week no problem if I wanted/needed to.
This is where I think the cutoff comes for us.

In elem. my kids really have no homework (some days they have something that takes 5-15 minutes to complete, but they are supposed to be reading every night). We took my older DD out for vacations many times for 2+ weeks. While the teachers gave her things to do, they did not expect her to complete every assignment they did in class so she really didn't have much to make up.

The last time we went during school she was in 7th grade (our HS is 7-12) and we went the last week of Sept/ first week of Oct. It was obviously more effort to get the work from all 9 of her teachers and she had to stay after school several days (both before and after the trip) to make up science labs and gym classes. She was able to make everything up with no problems, but as the work increases each year it will be more stressful to make up missed time.

We drive 23 hours each way, so we like to spend 2 weeks so we make the most of the trip. Now that's too much for her to miss.

We went to Disney at the end of August (right before our school started) this past summer. And we're planning a trip this April that coincides with the kids' spring break. We will be gone for two weeks, but they will only miss 4 days of school.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

We have a 6 and 20 year old. We took older DS out most years, for five days, kindergarten through 8th grade. We were going to stop in middle school but the school said, " Why ?, go enjoy the family time.". High school was a big no no for us. Block schedules, honors and AP classes, strict attendance policies just made it impossible to justify it. College age kid, will take a day or two to make a long week-end but not more. I will continue to take younger one out through middle school as well. We did first week of January last year as older DS was off but the crowds were really too much for us. Think we are going to try early May next time as older DS is done very early may, and we will pull DS6.

Be sure you know the school guidelines and the consequences if you choose to go outside of them and know your district test dates and be sure your kids are good with missing and then make your decisions.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I would have considered it when older DS was in kindergarten or first grade (we have the same 10 unexcused absence days), but my kids are in 4th and kindergarten now and it would never even be an option.

My oldest would fall too far behind and he struggled a bit at the beginning of 4th grade anyway. If the absences weren't excused, that is too early in the school year (for my peace of mind) to risk it. You never have any idea what the year will bring and I would worry about going over the number of days and the hassle that would ensue from it.

We thought about taking them out around Thanksgiving break for our trip through the southwest and California, but it ultimately isn't worth it (especially if DS9 struggles adjusting to 5th grade). It's harder for my husband and his work schedule (his busiest times are summer and holidays when school is out), but he agrees that we doesn't want to risk it, so he'll make it work.

They are out of school more days per year than they are in, so we planned our vacation in July before they go back in August and we're looking forward to it.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: