Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Betzee
Mouseketeer

Ohana's and Peanut Allergy

My daughter has a peanut allergy, very severe. She doesn't have to actually eat the peanuts, just touching is enough for a reaction.

I've booked a meal at Ohana's, not realizing that they serve quite a lot of peanut sauces in their food.

Now, we are very careful and have never had an issue at Disney, they are great with allergy concerns, and I've always had a chef come and walk us through what we can and cannot have her eat. But, I'm worried about this one and ready to cancel the reservation. It just seems to risky to me, with everyone in the restaurant probably eating peanut sauce on their meat, and probably hundreds of little ramkins being filled with it in the kitchen, it would be so easy to get a little on the plates.

And, I've heard that the noodles are served with a peanut sauce, true or no?

Will someone who's been to Ohana's please let me know their thoughts about this? Are all the noodles served with the peanut sauce? Is it as prevalent in the restaurant as I think?

I'm 99% ready to cancel, it's just not worth the risk, I think, but I'd like to hear if anyone who has the allergy has eaten there.

Thanks so much!

July 1975 -- Trip with Parents
May 1995 -- CBR with my Sister
February 2008 -- First Family Trip at POR
Sept 2009 -- Grand Gathering with Family at CBR
February 2013 -- Family Trip at CSR
Betzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I just read a thread yesterday (or the day before) that they've changed to ONLY the peanut sauce.

If someone in my party had a peanut allergy I doubt I'd even walk by the place with them, at this point. That's my opinion. I don't know WHAT they are thinking.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.

I understand your concern, it has to be tough for your little girl. What about trying Ohana for a breakfast ADR and canceling the dinner? This way you still get the Ohana experience, but with more foods she can enjoy.
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP,
2014-POP,

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

I have a very similar problem. I'm allergic to peanuts and I break out in a rash if I even touch something that has nut residue on it. If someones breathes on me and they've been eating peanuts, I get the rash. If I eat peanuts, it's an ER visit. I don't stop breathing, but the pain in my stomach is absolutely unbearable. Once I've eaten anything with nuts, I have constant pain everytime I eat for weeks afterwards. (just trying to say how severe it is)

We usually visit Ohana for breakfast which is quite safe however I visited once for dinner. We were put at a table that was in the corner and had quite a large gap between our table and the others. We had mentioned the nut allergy on the reservation. I spoke to the Chef who assured me that my meal would be prepared in an entirely separate section and he would make anything that I wanted. They asked me if the allergy was just if I ingested peanuts but I said that cross contamination was a problem too. I was told that the bread they serve the table isn't safe for people with nut allergies, only due to cross contamination.

We made sure everything that we ordered was completely safe. I can't remember what everyone ordered but I do know what I had:

Mixed Greens for the Appetizer but they prepared a different sauce for this.

The Skewers I had were Oak Grilled Chicken

I had the Egg Noodles without sauce. They offered me another sauce that was safe but I declined. Can't remember exactly what it was but I didn't like it. They gave me a side of mixed vegetables too.

I was told that the Bread Pudding for dessert was safe but I didn't like it.

I didn't have a reaction during the meal or afterwards. Peanuts are obvious on the menu but it's not on everything on the menu. You can check out the current menu at allears.net and see if there is anything your daughter might like there.

O'hana breakfast is much better in my opinion and safer (no peanuts!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betzee View Post
My daughter has a peanut allergy, very severe. She doesn't have to actually eat the peanuts, just touching is enough for a reaction.

I've booked a meal at Ohana's, not realizing that they serve quite a lot of peanut sauces in their food.

Now, we are very careful and have never had an issue at Disney, they are great with allergy concerns, and I've always had a chef come and walk us through what we can and cannot have her eat. But, I'm worried about this one and ready to cancel the reservation. It just seems to risky to me, with everyone in the restaurant probably eating peanut sauce on their meat, and probably hundreds of little ramkins being filled with it in the kitchen, it would be so easy to get a little on the plates.

And, I've heard that the noodles are served with a peanut sauce, true or no?

Will someone who's been to Ohana's please let me know their thoughts about this? Are all the noodles served with the peanut sauce? Is it as prevalent in the restaurant as I think?

I'm 99% ready to cancel, it's just not worth the risk, I think, but I'd like to hear if anyone who has the allergy has eaten there.

Thanks so much!

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

They will keep your table peanut free and will consider cross-contamination if it is a concern. If you are worried about others in the restaurant having peanut sauce, then you should probably cancel.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
They will keep your table peanut free and will consider cross-contamination if it is a concern. If you are worried about others in the restaurant having peanut sauce, then you should probably cancel.
1) TDC Nala is absolutely correct.
2) The restaurant can control YOUR table and food prep.
3) They cannot control the people, food or tables around you.
4) At Ohana, there are lots of folks walking/running around.
5) And. an occasional "mini food fight" with food flying.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Betzee
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the input. I think that I will be canceling the reservations. Although I'm sure they will do their best, it's just not worth taking the chance.

We have never been to Ohana before, so I wasn't sure of the atmosphere and didn't realize the menu when I made the reservations, so my fault for not better researching.

July 1975 -- Trip with Parents
May 1995 -- CBR with my Sister
February 2008 -- First Family Trip at POR
Sept 2009 -- Grand Gathering with Family at CBR
February 2013 -- Family Trip at CSR
Betzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betzee View Post
Thanks for all the input. I think that I will be canceling the reservations. Although I'm sure they will do their best, it's just not worth taking the chance.

We have never been to Ohana before, so I wasn't sure of the atmosphere and didn't realize the menu when I made the reservations, so my fault for not better researching.
It happens The problem is O'hana is an unusual restaurant as it has a very small menu selection for dinner and quite alot have peanuts/peanut sauce ect. The breakfast is much better if you want to still try O'hana

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: