Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #16
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutprincess View Post
Thanks guys. I thought that about Shula's, and have never been there but wanted to confirm. My dad really wants to go. I'll have them go without us.

As for LeCellier, well I guess I have to give that one a bit more thought, and if we do go, we can go for lunch as DS does wonderfully at lunchtime meals.
I would skip Shula's, but I wouldn't hesitate to go to LC, especially at lunchtime.

When my kids were young, we often went out to lunch instead of dinner, on vacation and home, because it was much better for them.

Enjoy!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #17
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Le Cellier is very child friendly and DD has dined there (with me) 5 times since she was 15-months-old. We've never once been that family who dared to bring their child with them as the restaurant has always been full of little ones and quite loud. It wasn't what I had expected but it was also a nice surprise (ah, only in the world of a parent! ) The children's menu also offers a nice variety; my DD won't eat steak (but will eat calamari ) and usually gets the cheese pizza with apple slices.

Shula's, on the other hand, is a bit of a different story. As others have mentioned there is no child's menu but one is available upon request. It's a long dining experience (and an expensive one) and not a restaurant that I'd personally bring DD to. She's well behaved at restaurants but after that 1.5 hour mark I just know that she'd be antsy. She'd want to wander, get irritated that she couldn't, and a full toddler tantrum throwdown would ensue. That's not my idea of a pleasant dining experience, nor would I imagine anyone else's.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
rznhal
DIS Veteran

A PP mentioned childcare at the dolphin....anyone ever used it or know how much it is?

thanks!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
dreamcatcherkwe
Mouseketeer

Haven't been to Shula's but we took our one year old with us to Le Cellier without a second thought and it was fine. We'll be going in November with our three year old and plan to definitely eat at Le Cellier again.
dreamcatcherkwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
FigmentFinder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
And as for my 2.5 yo? Well for the last few weeks I've been looking for those cages. Maybe I'll call shula's and see if they will sell me one

Heather
I want a toddler cage too!

Le Cellier is no problem. It's in a theme park and is generally noisy. I've never spent "hours" there eating even if you order an appetizer, entree and dessert. Most Disney restaurants do their best to herd you in and out of a restaurant as quickly as possible.

Not sure I would take an 18 month old to a nicer, adult-oriented restaurant like Shula's. There is no guarantee they will sit nicely and quietly for more than an hour-ish, even for the best behaved toddlers. 18 months tends to be the beginning of the terrible 2's. (which end somewhere around 4)

Last edited by FigmentFinder; 01-09-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Dessert not Desert. :)
FigmentFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
Meredisney
DIS Veteran

Location: "second STAR to the right, and straight on 'til morning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson81993 View Post
Can you take an 18-month-old to Le Cellier and Shula's? Yes. The only restaurant with an age restriction is Victoria and Albert's.

Should you take an 18-month-old to Le Cellier and Shula's? That's another matter entirely.

With Le Cellier's theme park location, kids shouldn't be an issue, but some people will be against your bringing a toddler to any signature restaurant. While I've never been to Shula's, from what I've read and know about the restaurant, it seems less toddler-friendly.

In my opinion, whether or not you should bring your toddler to a signature dining experience depends entirely on your toddler. Is your child able to sit for a long period of time, perhaps several hours, over the course of a signature meal, without disturbing other patrons? Will you be bringing appropriate distractions for your child should he require distracting to make it through the meal (think coloring books, sticker books, iPad/similar device with headphones and a movie or game he enjoys, etc.)? What time is your meal planned, and how does that fit with his usual schedule (i.e. will he be awake for it, will he be unhappily awake and therefore cranky/noisy, will he be conked out in a stroller)? What will you do if his presence becomes a problem or disturbance for others (like if he were to throw a tantrum at the table)? Do you have options besides taking him to the meal (private babysitting, others in the group willing to watch him for the evening, etc.)? And, most importantly, will he actually enjoy the meal, and, by extension, will you actually enjoy your meal?
I'm not saying there's a right answer or a wrong answer to any of those questions, or even that those are the right/only questions to be asking. You know your son, and only you will really be able to evaluate whether or not you should bring him to your signature dining experiences.
I just want to commend you on your tact. This was very well thought out and written. I couldn't have written it better. Kudos to you!!

Future: Disney Dream - 11/14/2014
Completed: Disney Dream Charity Preview Cruise - 01/21/11; Carnival Dream - 07/31/10; Disney Wonder - 11/05/09; Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 03/30/09; Celebrity Solstice - 11/21/08 charter pre-inaugural 2 day cruise to nowhere; Disney Wonder - 11/01/07; Caribbean Princess - 9/24/05; Carnival Fascination - 11/08/04; Disney Magic - 03/27/04; Disney Wonder - 10/02/03; Disney Wonder - 5/16/02
Meredisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #22
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

My son is well behaved at this point and I am comfortable taking him to any restaurant. We go early and are walking out the door when most people are just starting to show up. If he was acting up I would take him out, but that hasn't happened yet.

I would not go to Shula's at 8pm, but would have no problem going at 5pm.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
julie4423
Mouseketeer

I've only been to LC, and there were plenty of little ones there. I would look at it the same as I would any other restaurant. The only time kids are an issue is when they're totally out of control. If people can't handle a baby babbling or an excited kid who is talking a mile a minute, that's their problem. Even when I'm out with just the hubs I enjoy cute little ones just doing their thing.
julie4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #24
Hoosier Mom
DIS Veteran

We did several table service places with our 18 month old. I remember LeCellier let us order our desserts as soon as our entrees were delivered. That way there wasn't a long wait after dinner to get dessert. It was perfect.

I know we took him to Coral Reef. I believe they did the same thing for us.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #25
anelson81993
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredisney View Post
I just want to commend you on your tact. This was very well thought out and written. I couldn't have written it better. Kudos to you!!
Thanks!
anelson81993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: