Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
wdwnut
DIS Veteran

WDW dining with a soy allergy?

Hi to all:

My sister-in-law will be with us at WDW this spring and is horribly allergic to soy. Will she be able to eat in the restaurants?

Anyone with the same issue have any recommendations?

Thanks!
wdwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Disneymama01
Mouseketeer

Disney will accommodate any allergy. You can let any TS know ahead of time or let the TS know upon checking in. Chef will make her something special. They are very good with this issue.
Disneymama01 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

Of all the things Disney does well, the way they treat those with food allergies is probably what they do best. My fiancee has a bad peanut/treenut allergy. We let this be known on any ADR we make. More often than not, the host/hostess confirms when we are seated that they know about her allergy (on the rare case they don't confirm it, we usually mention it and they take care of it). We have always had a chef come out and discuss the menu with her, on what she can have and shouldn't have and what else they can put together for her. A chef will also walk her through any buffet we may have and go over each and every item with her (and more often than not, they let her know that if she can't find enough to fill her tummy, they are more than happy to put something together for her). At CS restaurants, if you mention the allergy when you go to place your order, they will usually get you a manager to go over the menu with you.

It is my understanding that they are just as caring, understanding and helpful with all types of allergies. Disney takes allergies very seriously and the service shows.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
wdwnut
DIS Veteran

bumping up for any more responses.

When we had her at WDW four years ago, her specific allergy was not known. She did have a hard time trying to eat anything not made by her in the villa. Possibly the chefs at Boma and Chef Mickey's were unable to come up with anything for her at that time.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Not sure what other responses you were hoping for. If you have a food allergy or dietary restriction all you have to do is note it on the reservation when you make it, or call to add it later. And also remind them when you check in at the restaurant.

If it is an a la carte or family style restaurant, the chef will come out and review the menu with you and prepare a suitable meal. If it is a buffet the chef will discuss your allergy with you and will show you which items on the buffet will be suitable for you to eat. Or even prepare something else.

If you can't tell them specifically what your problem is, I'm not sure how you would expect them to help you avoid it?
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwnut
bumping up for any more responses.

When we had her at WDW four years ago, her specific allergy was not known. She did have a hard time trying to eat anything not made by her in the villa. Possibly the chefs at Boma and Chef Mickey's were unable to come up with anything for her at that time.
It sounds like the problem was that she didn't know her allergy. Now that she knows, you can add her soy allergy to every table service ADR you have. When you check in for the meal, make sure the hostess has her soy allergy listed. The chef will come out and advise.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum

If you can't tell them specifically what your problem is, I'm not sure how you would expect them to help you avoid it?
This sounds like the OP's problem for sure.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
wdwnut
DIS Veteran

She does have issues finding products that do not contain soy or soy byproducts. It's amazing how prevalent soy is in quite a few items. I would love for her to be able to experience WDW more fully, especially now with her own little ones. That's all I wanted.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
MCO mama
Mouseketeer

My niece is allergic to soy, too. It is in SOOOO many things (because it is cheap). I'm sure your SIL will be fine at WDW. The chefs are quite knowledgeable and I'm sure your SIL is aware of what she can/can't have, too.
MCO mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: