Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

AoA or ASMu

I'm torn on which resort to pick for our trip this June. Family is me, my husband, and the 4 kids in the sig below (10, 7, 4, 6 months). $400 total savings on an ASMu family suite vs AoA family suites.

We have stayed in every all-star in a regular room, but never the family suites, and in the Nemo suite in AoA in 2012. We rented a car that we may use for park transportation so buses aren't a huge consideration, but the car is more specifically for dinners at other resorts or things like that so we don't have to transfer buses.

Is there a compelling reason so spend more on AoA? I am leaning towards it because the theming is cuter for the kids, but other than that? Important things for us are basically just the separate room and 2 bathrooms (hence not getting just 1 room in a deluxe).
Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

If all it comes down to is the themeing, then only you can decide. To me, AoA is not $400 cuter than ASMu. That is a big chuck out of my food budget, or it would pay for a couple of flights to Orlando.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Well since you've already stayed in a Nemo Suite anyways, I would book a family suite at Music and save some money.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
justhat
DC DISer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
If all it comes down to is the themeing, then only you can decide. To me, AoA is not $400 cuter than ASMu. That is a big chuck out of my food budget, or it would pay for a couple of flights to Orlando.
Well, the theming is the only difference I see. Not sure it is worth that cost though. My husband doesn't think it is. But anything else, like is the pool worth it (we didn't swim last time because we did water parks instead), room size difference?

I laughed though, $400 doesn't pay for a couple of our flights or even 1! We're coming from AZ, Tucson but driving to Phoenix for the flight. Running us around $520/person. Ouch. We used to go to WDW at least once a year, but generally more like 3 times a year, when we lived in Washington, DC and had 2 kids. Now that we're coming from AZ with 4 of them, trips are way fewer and further between. We can drive to DL in 8ish hours so it's a ton easier.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I think the $400 is worth it to stay at AoA. Newer/nicer rooms, MUCH nicer pool, MUCH nicer/newer theme overall, plus better food court. Also AoA soesnt share buses with another resort (although thats not important to you). Totally worth it IMO.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
hml12299
Earning My Ears

I know you are renting a car, but if you do plan to use the buses at all - stay at AoA. I just got home from 5 days at All-star Sports and the only thing I didn't like was the sharing the bus with the ASMusic and ASMovies. We were lucky b/c Sports is the first stop so we could always get seats but people at the other two always had to stand or sometimes there was big lines of people that couldn't even get on. So for that reason alone, I would never stay at ASMusic or Movies.
hml12299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
matt1979
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I think the $400 is worth it to stay at AoA. Newer/nicer rooms, MUCH nicer pool, MUCH nicer/newer theme overall, plus better food court. Also AoA soesnt share buses with another resort (although thats not important to you). Totally worth it IMO.
I may be wrong...but aren't the family suites at ASMu relatively new...or at least newly renovated into suites? If so...I think that would make them a bit more comparable to the newer rooms at AoA than older rooms at the AS.

Another point...I believe the AoA suites offer a bit more room. IIRC, there's room for a full 4-seat table in the kitchen area. At ASMu you get a 2-seat table in the living area. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you're like us and like to eat some meals in the room, having that tiny bit of extra room may be helpful.

That said, we were happy with our recent stay at a family sweet at ASMu. First trip to DW as an adult...so I don't have much to compare it to, but no complaints. Even if the resort is "older" than AoA...it's still very well kept and I would consider comparable to staying at a Fairfield Inn & Suites or comparable chain. As for the bus issue, sharing wasn't much of an issue except for heading out of the resort in the evening around dinnertime. I think we maybe had to share a bus with the other AS resorts once returning to the resort...and I believe that was from DTD...not one of the parks.

I'd say if you don't feel like you're going to miss the $400, just go ahead and splurge...it's vacation afterall. If you're really trying to penny pinch though, seems like a reasonable way to save a few bucks by staying at ASMu.
matt1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
justhat
DC DISer

Hmm, the table is a good point. I have 3 kids who will need to eat breakfast in the room most days so 4 seats is a definite plus.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: