Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
WillowBelle
DIS Veteran

New Hoya ND400 Filter ~ Question

My dad got me a ND400 filter for Christmas. I can't wait to use it. I think some of you on here have one of these, or something similar?

I remember reading that since the filter is so dark (it's almost completely blacked out) that you have to focus the camera AND THEN put it on the lens? How do you screw it on the lens without taking it out of focus? Is this a stupid question? I haven't even had time to open the packaging yet, but this has been on my mind.

We're going to DTD for a weekend, in a few weeks (meeting some friends from Wales) and will be hanging there and around the BW and I'd really like to put this to some use.

Thanks for any tips that you may have!!

Also, if anyone wants to share pictures that you've taken with this filter, I'd LOVE to see them!!!

WillowBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

You really need a lens that does not have a rotating front element if you want to focus before putting the filter on. If your front element does rotate you will either have to find a way to focus with the filter on (I know, next to impossible, right?) or carefully hold the filter up to the lens.

Edited to add... if your camera has live view sometimes that can help if you have to focus with an ND filter on.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

Last edited by photo_chick; 01-08-2013 at 06:49 PM.
photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Try live view.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
WillowBelle
DIS Veteran

As it turns out, the filter is bigger than the lens I intended to use it on, so it would seem that I could easily just hold it over my lens (it's barely too big) and use the shutter release to run the trigger.

My next question is what sorts of settings do I use for a bright and sunny day?

Basically I know what it does but not how to make it happen .

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
traylorc
DIS Veteran

You might want to consider purchasing a step up ring. The ring is an essentially an adapter. This would allow you to use larger size filter on a lens with a smaller diameter thread. In most instances they are not terribly expensive.

Also you might want to head over to a place like You Tube and search "how to use a ND filter". I'm sure there are a number of tutorials to be found there.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I use a 6-stop B & W ND filter. To focus, I will use live view. For my exposure I will use my lowest available ISO and then use bulb mode for the exposure. While mounted on a tripod, I will make an educated guess as to how long to hold the shutter open (using a remote). Then, I will adjust from there until I get the exposure I want. Like others I use step up/down rings so I only need one filter for all my lenses. This is an example from Great Falls National Park in Md.

Great Falls Water v2 5857 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Definitely get a step up ring. Holding the filter to the lens willpwill produce shake for long shutters. I would also use live view like Tom suggested. Usually live view will accommodate for the dark filter.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Definitely get a step up ring. Holding the filter to the lens willpwill produce shake for long shutters. I would also use live view like Tom suggested. Usually live view will accommodate for the dark filter.
Holding the filter without producing shake is tricky, but possible. And it is easier if you have a filter that is larger than the lens. It's far from ideal though.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
WillowBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I use a 6-stop B & W ND filter. To focus, I will use live view. For my exposure I will use my lowest available ISO and then use bulb mode for the exposure. While mounted on a tripod, I will make an educated guess as to how long to hold the shutter open (using a remote). Then, I will adjust from there until I get the exposure I want. Like others I use step up/down rings so I only need one filter for all my lenses. This is an example from Great Falls National Park in Md.

Great Falls Water v2 5857 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
BEAUTIFUL picture!!! Thank you for the setting tip.

I ordered a step ring, because that was the most popular piece of advice, yesterday. Can't wait for it to come in. My youngest is taking her bike to a bike park this weekend. I'm hoping to set up there (off to the side of course) and get the kids doing all of their tricks in motion. Of course, I'll have to hand-hold the filter. Curious to see how I do with it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: