Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
aprilbabes
Mouseketeer

Question Monorail vs. Non-monorail Resort

When traveling with little ones how important is to you to have the convenience of staying at a monorail resort? We stayed at the poly last year because we swore that for as long as our kids were in strollers we'd only do a monorail resort. However, we're now considering WL to save some money. I think it looks beautiful but wondering if I'll regret not having the convenience of the monorail.
aprilbabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Arkia72
Earning My Ears

We have taken our kids twice to WDW, both times they were stroller age. We never stayed at a resort with monorail access. We rented strollers, so we weren't trying to carry strollers on and off the buses. But we were very happy. The monorail always seemed so crowded to us, so we never really considered the monorail resorts.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

I agree with you about not having to commute on a bus everywhere but doesnt WL have a boat to MK? When our kids were little we stayed at the Boardwalk and I didn't like the commuting. The double stroller on the bus to MK was not easy. When they were younger we spent most of our time at MK. Now that some of our kids are teenagers we stay in the EPCOT area since they spend a lot of time in EPCOT and HS.

We want to try the WL next. Enjoy where ever you stay.

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
SLamott1973
Earning My Ears

Love WL boat rides were fun and fast never had to wait more than 5 minutes and if you want you can always take the boat to contemporary and catch the monorail there

10/2014 Wilderness Lodge
11/2012 Wilderness lodge
4/2011 CBR
SLamott1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

For us, it's not important at all. We have taken out twins 6 times from age 18 months until just shy of 3. We have stayed at WL and BLT but also quite a few non monorail resorts (we do split stays some). Of course we have a double stroller . It's not the end of the world to take the buses. We have also been asked to fold our stroller on the monorail a couple of times so it can happen.

Regarding WL, it's a lovely choice. We loved this resort. The boat is ok but you can only roll a stroller on some of the boats. The smaller boats require the strollers to be folded. We have stayed here twice (with and without littles) and during our stays they always alternated the big and small boats. There is also a bus to the MK from WL and IMO isn't necessarily a bad choice. Most people take the boat.

Have you considered the garden wing rooms at the CR to save some money? All the monorail resort amenities plus the ability to walk to the MK (so easy and quick, much faster than taking the monorail).
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

I had two in a stroller at the same time, and I never minded boats or buses. For some reason, I have never been much of a monorail fan, so it was never a priority.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

I've been doing WDW for 10 years now with my kids and I've never stayed at a monorail resort. There was one year a couple years back I wish I had, but I made it through the trip alive so it was a win...lol. I did actually enjoy the convenience of staying at the Boardwalk Villas last year and having boat transportation to DHS and being able to walk to EPCOT although I didn't care for the resort itself. If you take the buses to any of the other parks, you know what using the buses is like, you just have to figure on using them more if you are at a non monorail resort. I am not into the theme of the Poly or Contempory so I've not stayed there and if not for the expense of the Grand Floridian I'd totally stay there! Perhaps in a couple years I'll get my wish to try out the Grand Floridian.
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Angie_T
Planning our first cruise!

We've only been once but I have three kids and we took our double stroller with us. We were staying off site but I when we left MK and I saw the lines waiting to get to the busses and the monorail, I was very very happy that we had our own car and didn't have to wait in those long lines with three tired little kids. The kids really did like the ride we took on the monorail but it was crowded and our stroller did have to be folded when we were on there.

Angie_T is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: