Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

Jess,

One other thing that hooked me. Our first night on the Dream, my DD who was 10, started crying in our room. I asked her what was wrong and she crawled up in my lap and just sobbed "this is how I always hoped it would be." At that point, we had already been on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, but this was our first disney cruise... I NEVER got that response from her on anything until that night on the Dream.

That made every penny I spent worth it.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
Jess6001
Hey there, Mr. Grump Gills. You know what you gotta do when life gets you down? Just keep swimming...

Omg! That may be my little sis... Lol

Jess6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps17 View Post
Dear 1153Rsmith,
After sailing Magic for 6 times, we just got off the Fantasy and as you alluded for the Dream, it is amazing - condition of the ship, feel, artwork, technology, elegance. All top notch.

We are now faced with choosing between Fantasy (for $8200) and the Freedom which is signficantly cheaper to the tune of $5400. That is a huge price delta. Since you have been on both ships, can you comment on the value/quality differrence between the two? (itinerary aside). Thanks in advance...
The Freedom is an amazing ship. We really liked the ice skating, rock climbing and Flowrider. There are tons of things to do. Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Cupcake Cubbard. While service was good, it wasn't disney. We really didn't care for the shows at all. It was like they tried to copy Disney on a couple, but just didn't make it. The one exception was the ice show. It was really good.

Character interractions (dreamworks) were nothing like disney. Mainly photos where you were discouraged from using your own camera so you could buy the ship's pictures.

The rooms were nice.

We really missed the rotational dining. The dining room on the Freedom is huge (3 levels) and the food was ok... We prefer DCL food over Royal.

That being said, that is a pretty stiff difference. Kids ages may make a difference.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Let me say this starting off---I love all things Disney. Last year I visited WDW twice and DL a few times, too. In Oct. we took a 3 generation 7 day cruise on the Fantasy. It was nice--especially for the 3 grand kids. We've been going to WDW for over 35 years.

Of my 3 cruises planned for this year, none involves kids--so no DCL. I'm not anxious to surround myself with kiddos when I'm doing an adult trip. That's just me. Yes, yes, yes.....I know, DCL has an ADULT only section. We know how well THAT'S enforced

However OP if this is what YOU want....I'd go! I subscribe to the "Life is short and unpredictable" school of thought.

Regarding the high quality of DCL, it's nice but not unexcelled.
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
tajz90
Mama D

I want to interject on the child subject. We made the mistake of trying to go back to Carnival after doing Disney and the kids running around was so much more noticeable. We only vacation when school is out, so there will be more kids no matter what ship, but the activities on Carnival didn't seem as interesting to our child and the counselors didn't always have something going on so kids just sort of randomly went in all directions. The Carnival ship did not have a dedicated adult jacuzzi, so quite often we would have a small child jump in. Frustrating to me.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

I think I am in a very similar position as you:
I have parents that are in their mid-50s, been busy with work/school, and love Disney but don't have a lot of money.

I graduated nursing school and decided that it was time. Life is short. And dude: medicine is stressful! (During my preceptorship as a LPN I was acting as a LPN in a hill billy ER at NOCs, where the staff thought it was really fun to put me in the scariest situations.). I am very much a fan of adding super whimsy and not serious, and Disney is very much whimsy. It is so worth the money that I am doing it again.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #22
tweis
DIS Veteran

I booked a 3 night cruise just this morning for just my DH and myself. We have sailed with DCL before and loved it, however, we were looking for a short cruise for just the two of us and DCL did not seem the obvious choice. We can only sail during the summer and after much research realized that RCL and Carnival use really old ships for their short cruises. I watched youtube videos and read extensive reviews and realized that the only way I will sail Carnival will be on a new ship with a great itinerary. I probably could have sailed RCL as they had a 4 night our of PC with a stop at their island, Nassau and a day at sea but for the money I will take one less day on the Disney Dream because I know what to expect going in and I love Castaway Cay!

DCL does have 4 night cruises but they conflict with the dates we had available.
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

If you want to go on a Disney cruise, a cruise on a different cruise line will be a disappointment. Hope deferred makes a heart sick. Follow your dream!
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you asked this question and I have read the replies with interests since this is the big question for me as well. I've never cruised before, haven't really had any desire to, but DH really wants to, and thinks Disney is the only way to go. I just couldn't see paying the extra price, but now I'm thinking there will be a Disney cruise in our future!

By the way, congrats on your upcoming graduation and good luck to you in your internship, residency and practice!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #25
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

I think you could get a 4 night on the Magic or Wonder out of Galveston or Miami for cheaper than that.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
Jess6001
Hey there, Mr. Grump Gills. You know what you gotta do when life gets you down? Just keep swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisyofTexas View Post
I think you could get a 4 night on the Magic or Wonder out of Galveston or Miami for cheaper than that.
I know those ships are less expensive but I'm limited by dates I can go. The dream's 3 night is the only ship that fits my dates and price range. Thanks for the idea

Jess6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
dadandson
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess6001
So a Disney Cruise has always been a dream to me. My mom, sis and I (all adults) have always loved disney and have many fabulous trips to WDW together. We've also been on a few cruises (all royal caribbean) which I've loved (and my mom and sis both liked). I'm graduating from Grad school this May and considering making a short Disney cruise a reality now because the next few years of my life are going to be insanely busy.

I don't have that much cash to spend. I'm considering a 3 night cruise in May on the Disney Dream. For the three of us it will be about $1,700 for the cruise fare. My questions are is it worth it to spend this much money of a cruise because it will (a) be very short and (b) I could get a much cheaper deal on Royal Caribbean?

Should I go for it or put it off until I have the time and money for a longer cruise? (like a 7 day cruise). That could be years away though...

The ship looks AMAZING...do you think 3 nights would be enough to even start to get a feel for it?

THANKS for your opinion!
Just Did 5 day holiday on Dream. Haven't stopped talking about it and recommending to everyone. Also booked another 4 night for summer while on boat. There's a solid reason why they can get top dollar. Basic economics of supply and demand. There wasn't ONE thing I could find to complain about. Just don't go crazy with spa, liquor or professional pictures an you won't go broke!
dadandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
MKwatercraftPilot
Earning My Ears

I'll readily admit that I'm the one handing out the kool-aid. Convinced two different people to cruise Disney with me this year.

You mentioned how often you go to WDW, I really think that a Disney Cruise is cheaper than WDW. Figure the cost of the hotel per night (and don't figure pop century, think somewhere moderate, or closer to deluxe), rental car (unless you use DME), food, park tickets, movies at the AMC Pleasure Island, snacks, sodas, etc. DCL has a higher up-front cost, but if you are conscientious of your budget, you can get on the ship, have an amazing vacation and get off only $36 poorer. (Automatic Gratuities, $12 per person per day, 3 day cruise.)

Even if you have already paid for your hotel and tickets and maybe gotten the meal plan, try spending only $12 per day at WDW.

Most activities on the ship are complimentary, all food and beverage is included (bring your own Adult Beverages) and if all else fails, you have the most incredible view while you're sitting on deck reading.

You've mentioned that Disney has turned you into a hotel snob, I'm the same way. I'll also say that I can't set foot into a Six Flags or any other amusement park without comparing it to WDW... It's the same way on the Cruise Line.

Taking a Carnival or RCCL cruise is like staying in a Holiday Inn compared to staying at... oh, say Port Orleans Riverside. It's basically the same amenities, basically the same quality, but it's just not worth the price difference.

Have you ever felt that you didn't get your money's worth with Disney?
MKwatercraftPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #29
69pace
Earning My Ears

So it's been about 5 hours now since you posted this question..what are you waiting for. You know the answer. Realistically, how are you going to have more money available after 7 more years of education? My girls and their student loan debt has sent them to Carnival this spring break...this should be interesting after they've drank the DCL kool-aid
69pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #30
pookybean
Mouseketeer

i am of the "life is short...have fun when you can" camp. we just got back from wdw over christmas and now im thinking of a graduation trip (ill grad in may with my bsw!) we usually go to the jersey shore over memorial day but then i started thinking of something special....a cruise!

i was back and forth looking at other cruise lines (because they are cheaper of course) but came back here to read what others say.

so i have decided to book disney thanks to this thread! LOL

im now in the process of applying to grad school so money is not going to get much better for another 2 years. my debt will be there, however my kids are growing rapidly. i want these adventures and memories. and truthfully they have been my biggest supporters through the last 5 years of my undergrad program (surviving a divorce along the way) i dont care what others say we DESERVE this trip.

now just have to wait for the tax return

airfares don't look too bad now though! lol

me, ds 17, dd12, dd4
pookybean is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: