Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
DisneyMom2Boyz
Mouseketeer

Il Mulino at the Swan? Yes or No?

Was considering trying Il Mulino any thoughts? Has anybdy been lately? Also we'll be staying at the Poly who no car, how would you recommend the best way to get there? Thanks for any help or ideas you may have.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
kiford
Mouseketeer

Yes. Loved it. Had a wonderfully leisurely dinner just the two of us. Great food, good atmosphere. Was given a recommendation for wine that I wouldn't normally have tried but really liked (sorry, can't remember what it was). Stuffed ourselves silly. It's now one of my favourites.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
DisneyMom2Boyz
Mouseketeer

Is it a kid friendly? What did you have for dinner?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
kiford
Mouseketeer

Difficult to say if it's kid friendly since I don't have any but I'd probably have to say no. We were placed in an out of the way location so it was very private and I couldn't see much of the rest of the restaurant and who was there. I know that you can order family style but I can't comment on the kid friendliness of that.

I had the beef carpaccio and caprese salad, then pasta (can't remember which one), and then sorbet for dessert. I would not normally have two appetizers but I couldn't make my mind up and I was on vacation. I don't know if they have a kid's menu and it's possible that most children wouldn't like the adult menu even if you can get smaller portions, although I ate that kind of stuff when I was a kid when we went out to restaurants (which wasn't very often). Depends on their tastes and what they're used to.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

I had a fantastic meal in October; excellent service with extremely well-executed, old-school NY-style Italian food. I had veal saltimbocca and a half-portion of pasta with wild mushrooms. My meal was very expensive because I splurged on wine, but it was well worth the tab.

I wouldn't describe it as necessarily kid-UNfriendly, but it may not be the best choice if the children are young. My meal was somewhat slow-paced, but that's what I was looking for.

As far as transportation, save the hassle of Disney transportation and take a cab there. In lieu of a cab on the way back, you could walk or take a boat to the Boardwalk and catch a bus to Magic Kingdom.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Before dinner, you could take a bus from Poly to DHS and then walk to Swan. Or, take the monorail to Epcot and then walk through the International Gateway exit and catch a boat to Swan.
After dinner, you can take a bus directly from Swan to MK. Or, walk back to the International Gateway and through Epcot to the Monorail.
Overall, taxi would be easiest and cost approximately $20+.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

This is our go-to restaurant for a romantic dinner. I've seen some children here all dressed up and cute but it's primarily adults dining here. There are some evenings where I haven't seen any children at the tables.

Easiest way to get there and back is by cab.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
DisneyMom2Boyz
Mouseketeer

Thsnk you for all they great feed back. I think I'd really like to go. My kids are 13 & 8 so hopefully they would be ok since they aren't very young. However they can be picky. I think I say pizza on the menu? I love chicken parm and saw a picture that looked awesome! Keep the info coming please!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom2Boyz
Thsnk you for all they great feed back. I think I'd really like to go. My kids are 13 & 8 so hopefully they would be ok since they aren't very young. However they can be picky. I think I say pizza on the menu? I love chicken parm and saw a picture that looked awesome! Keep the info coming please!
They have pizza but it's not as good as the pizza at Via Napoli. It wouldn't be what I would pick at Il Mulino. Personally, I love the mushroom risotto but some of the fish dishes are very good too.

The tiramisu here is some of the best I've had anywhere.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

We really like Il Mulino and dd likes it as well. My dd enjoyed the chicken parm and she is picky. Just try to avoid sitting in a "side" room if possible. Feel free to check out my review with photos here:

http://www.disneydiningreviews.com/i...o-new-york.htm
jwfla422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom2Boyz View Post
Is it a kid friendly? What did you have for dinner?
My soon to be un-toddler has been to Il Mulino a few times. Other than V&A, all places at Disney (even Swan & Dolphin) are extremely small child friendly. This is main reason why we go to Disney.

The food at Il Mulino is excellent. It's not typical 'red sauce' (or 'gravy') kind of Italian, but those choices do dot the menu.

If I have one criticism of Il Mulino, the portion sizes are uneven. Some entrees are seemingly too big.

The House gives you a small plate with salami (I believe cured at Il Mulino) and a reasonable bread basket to start.

Our typical order (assumes no special):
- Appetizer - shrimp w/ white beans,
- Pasta - spaghetti carbonara or gnocchi,
- Entree - we often split Veal Milanese,
- Dessert - Italian Cheesecake made with Ricotta (instead of American style with cream cheese),
- Aperitif - A free shot of Limoncello.

My child has had the kids pizza (delicious and fresh, not previously frozen), spaghetti, and a plain meatball can be ordered as well. But nothing gets between her an a plate of prosciutto & melon.

ABC Commisary (2.5-stars*-food), Akershus (3.0*; 5* princess interaction), Artist Point (3.5*), blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Casey's (4* - Qwik Serve Overstuffed Pulled Pork & Slaw w/ Hot Dog), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (3.0* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flame Tree BBQ (3.5* - .5* for taking TiW), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.0* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4.0*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie (4* - French pastry), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value 1-Credit/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Spice Road Table (3.5*), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (2.5*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

On my 'to dine' list: Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015?).
JZCubed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
fici
Earning My Ears

Il Mulino - Family of 11(6 adults/5 childrens)

We are looking forward to a dinner on our second night at Ill Mulinio in April and hoping this meets our requirements. Children are well behaved and dine with us often at many restaurants. I am hoping(as the grammy) that we can order family style with plenty of choices(like at home) and be happy. Are we asking for more than Ill Mulino can offer?
fici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fici View Post
We are looking forward to a dinner on our second night at Ill Mulinio in April and hoping this meets our requirements. Children are well behaved and dine with us often at many restaurants. I am hoping(as the grammy) that we can order family style with plenty of choices(like at home) and be happy. Are we asking for more than Ill Mulino can offer?
You'll be fine! They have some specific family-style options or you could just have a DIY family-style meal by ordering a bunch of a la carte dishes. Pastas come in full- and half-orders, too. They also have great side dishes: sauteed escarole with olives, broccoli rabe with sausage, etc.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
Boomstickchic
Earning My Ears

I went last May and had the chicken parm. It was a huge portion and was delicious.
Boomstickchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #15
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

I was there in October. Loved it! We were party of 15 - 8 adults and 7 children ages 6-14. We had two tables next to each other - the children (all well behaved) were at one and we were at the other. The children shared a few dishes like the Caesar salad.

The food was excellent. great wine list too. Our server was just awesome. They took our TWI card and we made these reservations (for a party of 15) that afternoon!

It is now on our must do list.
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: