Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Jennifer124
Mouseketeer

Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show

Is it worth the extra table credit? We'd be dining with a 6-year-old and a 2-year-old. Some have recommended that we forget it and dine at Ohana instead.
Jennifer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
AmyLand98
Mouseketeer

We have been to the luau 3 times in the past and LOVED it! I have seen many mixed reviews about it but we loved it all three times. We didn't use the extra table credit, we paid out of pocket and then used the table credit we would have used that night for breakfast the day we leave. It worked out well for us but I know it wouldn't for everyone. I don't know if I would use 2 table credits to sit in catagory 2 or 3...when paid we paid for catagory one and it was great. Now on a side note....we love Ohanas too! That is a must do on every trip for us
AmyLand98 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

We honestly love the Luau and do it every trip almost!
tinkgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
mhnewcomb
Mouseketeer

Guess I'll represent the opposite view...my tour group will forever refer to it as "The Luau of Terror". But then again, we are a cynical bunch.

The bright side--and there is ALWAYS a bright side with all things Disney --is that we have a really good laugh every time we talk about it.

mhnewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
2girlsR2good
Mouseketeer

We loved it--I took my twin DDs for their 6th birthday. With a 6 year old, I highly recommend paying for a category 1 spot. Seeing and being close is everything for the Luau.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

We really enjoyed it". But, we took our dds when our youngest was around 6 or 7. It is a 2 hours+? And, they do the fire dance. That would have scared my youngest, so that was why we waited. Still, you know your children best so if they can handle that, then go for it.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Princess_taffy05
Mouseketeer

We went this past December and really enjoyed it. My boyfriend said it was just like the lulu he went to in Hawaii years ago. I was so happy he liked it as I was nervous based on the mixed reviews. I would go back again in the future, but we will be trying the Hoop Dee Doo next time!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Princess_taffy05
Mouseketeer

Luau*
Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

I will say we will NEVER go back to the Luau. We paid OOP for a Category 1 that we booked months in advance to celebrate DH's husband. We were staying at the Poly, dressed in hawaiian themed outfits and had our hopes up for a great show. What we got was seated in the back, on a catty corner with a pole blocking the view we had. The kids couldn't see, and were less than interested in the show. We found the food to be lackluster.
I took my complaints to the manager who told me the only thing they could do was wait for every person to be seated and then see what was left to move us to. We were not offered a refund on our prepaid dinner, no other options.
We were completely disappointed with the service and the seating for Category 1. I never expected an obstructed view.
Quite disappointing and will never try that again.

[/url]
ALMinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

My family actually enjoyed the luau. The first part was pretty cheesy, but once the more authentic dancing and other entertainment started it was much better. I think we actually ended up with Category 2 seating, but we had a great spot! Our table was in the middle and in the back, but it was almost like balcony seating as we were on a raised platform from Category 1. Can't guarantee though that all Category 2 seating would be so good. Honestly, I'm not sure I would take kids quite that young to it- as another poster said it is a pretty long show, and they might get bored. If you think they would enjoy this type of thing, though, go for it.
Peachkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Jennifer124
Mouseketeer

thank you guys!! This is helpful. BTW mhnewcomb - I got a laugh out of the "Luau of Terror."
Jennifer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

We've been to S of A twice, we like it, the food is pretty good and the show is fun (if not a little cheesy!) we always have the DDP but my suggestion would be to pay OOP for it because even with the extra credit you get Cat 2 or 3 tickets. It's not worth 2 credits in my view, but it's worth seeing if you pay OOP and get CAT 1 seats.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: