Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We never really minded the buses. Some minor irritations but that happens. We were just happy to be at Disney and have the option to be driven around.
We rented a car on one trip because we were going to Universal for two days and what it would cost us in shuttle fees would be almost equal to what it would cost to rent the car.

I can tell you now we LOVE having our own car. Like many of the others we don't bother to drive to the MK, but we do drive everywhere else. I love not having to be ready to walk out the door 1.5 hours before an ADR. I love the freedom overall. Now, if I were staying at an Epcot resort again, I wouldn't bother simply because that would be 3 parks we wouldn't need to drive to. Anywhere else, we get the car.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #32
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

This is great information because for the past 3 trips to Disney World we never thought of driving to any of the parks. But after our trip last April and having to stand in line for over 40 minutes just to get back to our resort we had it. We thought it was because we were staying at a Value Resort and thought never again will we stay in one but now knowing we can park for free if staying onsite makes it great for us since we drive from NC anyways.

One thing is what do you when you have an ADR at one of the resorts? Can you just drive over to the resort and then drive over to the park we want? I'm asking this because we're planning a surprise trip and we're trying to figure this all out before we go.

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP
Trip Reports:
Seriously, Disney Again? A F&W Festival & MNSSHP PTR! *Updated MNNSHP Costumes & Friends Going 8/11*
Me? A Princess? Shut Up!! My 1st PHM PTR!
Completed TR-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: 2 Updates! Complete!!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #33
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom04 View Post
This is great information because for the past 3 trips to Disney World we never thought of driving to any of the parks. But after our trip last April and having to stand in line for over 40 minutes just to get back to our resort we had it. We thought it was because we were staying at a Value Resort and thought never again will we stay in one but now knowing we can park for free if staying onsite makes it great for us since we drive from NC anyways.

One thing is what do you when you have an ADR at one of the resorts? Can you just drive over to the resort and then drive over to the park we want? I'm asking this because we're planning a surprise trip and we're trying to figure this all out before we go.
Yep

Just drive to the resort where you are having dinner and let the gate guard know that's what you are doing, and then move to the park when you're done. Easy!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #34
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Yep

Just drive to the resort where you are having dinner and let the gate guard know that's what you are doing, and then move to the park when you're done. Easy!
Thank you so much! I think we will be driving this go round to all of the parks. Seems like it would be a great thing for us to do since my daughter has asperger's and she freaks out when the buses get extremely crowded.

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP
Trip Reports:
Seriously, Disney Again? A F&W Festival & MNSSHP PTR! *Updated MNNSHP Costumes & Friends Going 8/11*
Me? A Princess? Shut Up!! My 1st PHM PTR!
Completed TR-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: 2 Updates! Complete!!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #35
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

if at end of night both the monrail and the ferry can be crowded to get back to parking for MK, even handicap parking is at TTC, not MK.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #36
theyoungs07
Earning My Ears

I agree with Betty, getting back to the TTC can be busy, but we have been able to keep stroller kids in it, sleeping on the monorail and the boat...all the way to our van.

Edit:
Sorry, missed the Asperger note. I'd say I've never been on a monorail or boat that felt as jammed as the buses can...but maybe it happens.

Last edited by theyoungs07; 01-17-2013 at 09:47 PM.
theyoungs07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #37
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I'm not big on huge crowds so we often leave MK, watch Wishes from the Boat Dock at the MK where you can still hear the music, and then leave when it's over. We hop right on a tram or the monorail etc before the floods of people come. Works perfectly.

Last edited by pigletto; 01-18-2013 at 06:50 AM.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #38
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I would never take a bus if I could drive which is why I do drive to every park including the MK. In the past 10 years even with monorail delays it has never taken 40 minutes to 1 hour to get to my car at MK. This week it took approx 10-15 minutes from the car to the park entrance. The downer to me is mashing into a crowded bus with no where to sit and listening to someone's kid crying while at the same time smelling someone else BO at the end of a very long day. Driving is so much more convenient, faster, and relaxing.
I agree with you on 2 things. Rent car and drive to all the parks (or resorts) and Let's go Blackhawks!

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #39
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

we never drive to the parks. Even when we are staying off site, there are planty of free places to park that wont get you towed, yet allow easy access to the disney bus or boat system.

If my kids can stand on a bus, or walk to the room after a night at the parks, then they either need to get i better shape, or we need to leave earlier.

Since no one wants to leave early, my kids are in shape. they know what to expect. at 5 and 11, no one gets carried. you walk or we do go.

you would be amazed what your kids can accomplish if you just push them a little.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #40
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom04

No it isn't just a value resort thing. We've stayed at moderates and dvc resorts and had to wait a while for buses that were often crowded at both of those as well. I think driving for adrs at resorts sounds much easier than switching transportation a couple of times.
momto3boysillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #41
MaestroTK
Mouseketeer

My family prefers to drive to the parks. Trying to tow along a stoller and children on a crowded bus was uncomfortable.

We might try buses again when our children are older, but for now, we prefer driving our own car.
2003 (July) WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2006 (July) WDW - Offsite - Summer Bay Resort (RCI)
2006 (May) - DL - Carousel Inn
2007 (July) - WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2008 (March) - WDW - All Star Sports
2010 (June) - DL - Desert Palms

2011 (August) - WDW - Beach Club Villas
2013 (July) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
2014 (April) - DL - Desert Palms
2014 (May) - DL - Desert Palms

2015 (August) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club Villas
MaestroTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #42
leebee
DIS Veteran

We prefer to have our own car when staying at Disney as it is a HUGE time saver. One year in June, it took 1.5 hours to get from POFQ to dinner at Ohana on the bus. We missed our ADR and had to wait for a free table- and they only let us do this because it was our anniversary dinner (they actually were booked but took us anyway). It's also much faster to use your own transportation if you are park hopping. I guess a big part of having our own vehicle is that many of the restaurants we prefer are at resort hotels; it'd take a lot longer for us to use Disney transportation rather than have our own car... and at Disney, time=money!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: