Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
binabodi
Earning My Ears

Which Mod? Caribbean Beach or one of the Port Orleans?

Just got a free dining code and are thinking we will go 2/13 or 3/7. I can't decide which Mod to book? We haven't been in 5 years and have always stayed at a value before. 2 adults, DD11 and DS4. TIA for any advice. I feel new it's been so long.
binabodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
aras4007
Mouseketeer

I've never stayed at either, but from what I've heard, a lot of people complain about the size of Caribbean Beach and how long it takes to walk from the hotel to buses, food, etc. Also, they are the only mod that still has double size beds. Port Orleans have been refurbished recently and all have queen size beds.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I love Caribbean Beach, especially the tropical theme. The main pool area is cooler than the theme pools at POR and POFQ. That being said, POFQ and POR were both refurbished recently and CBR hasn't been. CBR also still just has double beds, rather than queen-sized beds. POFQ seems to be the most popular moderate on these boards because of the small size. POR and POFQ both have boat access to downtown disney, which you might enjoy.

My vote would be for POR or POFQ.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
binabodi
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info. Size of resort/walking might factor in since we have a 4 year old. The double bed/queen isn't really a problem though.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
I love Caribbean Beach, especially the tropical theme. The main pool area is cooler than the theme pools at POR and POFQ. That being said, POFQ and POR were both refurbished recently and CBR hasn't been. CBR also still just has double beds, rather than queen-sized beds. POFQ seems to be the most popular moderate on these boards because of the small size. POR and POFQ both have boat access to downtown disney, which you might enjoy.

My vote would be for POR or POFQ.
x2 for the Caribbean Beach.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
bteaster5
Earning My Ears

I vote CB. Fun tropical theme. Did you get the offer through the mail or where? That's the time frame we are going and I can't find a free dining code anywhere!
bteaster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
AllieBoo
It's the truth, its actual....everything is satisfactual

We have stayed at POFQ twice and love it! My kids wanted to stay there again this year, but we decided to try a POR Royal Room for a change. The POFQ complex is small and very walkable, the food court is good, and the pool is great! Also, since POFQ and POR are sister resorts, you can use the pool at either one if you stay there!

June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside - Royal Room!
June 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2010 - Coronado Springs
June 2008 Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2007 Coronado Springs
June 2004 Ft. Wilderness Campground
June 2003 Polynesian
May 1986 Offsite
May 1979 Offsite
AllieBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
DisneyGriz
DisDads #727 Round the world in Epcot in 11 beers...

I just went through this debate, and am using the dining plan code as well. I'll start at the end and say we booked PORS. Here is what made my decision, and while I'm new to DIS, I am a longtime Disneyworld fan that still remembers his first docking in front of Magic Kingdom in 1974 (I was 5). We stayed at PORS several years ago and it was during the redo of the food court. What I remembered was that while we were towards the back of the Alligator Bayou, the paths allowed you to get to things quite easily and quickly. In talking to friends, the food court there is great now, and the rooms are all finished. The real bonus here is that you get to go to Downtown Disney on a boat (Kids love the boat rides). I have found that going to Downtown Disney is hard to fit in i you aren't this close. The other bonus is that you can also use all of POFQ amenities. Now I normally want to try new places, so Caribbean Beach seemed like a nice choice, and looks like it has a lot going on. Here is my issue with the size of this resort...I stayed at the Coronado Springs with my kids and hated it. The only times in my 20 vacations at Disney I had a bad experience at a resort was the first time I went to Coronado with my family and the 2nd time I went to Coronado for a work trip. It is a 10+ min walk to everything if you are not in a preferred location, and the buses are always full to and from the parks. That said, the pool and food court are amazing, but it's just not worth the aggravation. So when I saw that Caribbean Beach is the largest Disney resort and had 7 bus stops, I couldn't help thinking that I would regret my decision ifI went there. Now, it's fair to say that my lack of experience at that resort should put my opinion behind someone who has stayed there.

In any event, we are at the PORS for 2/13 and my kids(DD10 and DS6) are still completely in the dark that we are going back!
DisneyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
DisneyGriz
DisDads #727 Round the world in Epcot in 11 beers...

I got mine in the mail.
DisneyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I's pick either POR resort over Caribbean Beach. Caribbean Beach is too large and has so many bus stops that it seems like forever before you even leave the resort. I also found the food court at Caribbean Beach to be lacking.

POR has 3 less bus stops than CBR, queen beds, and the pick your pasta station in the food court. Yum! POR is head and shoulders above CBR imho.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
binabodi
Earning My Ears

Wow, thanks guys for all the info. I think that CB looks fun but I am really concerned about the distance for my 4yo.

I received my code in the mail. I thought it was from my Disney Visa but me and my DH both received on and only one of our names is on the card.

Does anyone know if there is a comparison for PORS vs. POFQ?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
cindymindy
Earning My Ears

PORS is definitely more spread out than POFQ. I personally prefer POFQ because of the theming. I will also second what others said about the size of Caribbean Beach. It is a very large resort. If you decide to stay there, you should consider a preferred room that is closer to the main pool and main building for your little one. I love the beachy feel, the lake and the various beaches, but the resort's size was a little much for us.

November, 2014:POP Century, Wine and Dine Half Marathon! July, 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge June, 2013: POP Century 2012: Caribbean Beach 2007: Grand Floridian 2001: Coronado Springs 2000: Port Orleans: French Quarter 1999: Caribbean Beach 1998: Coronado Springs 1990: Off property 1987: Off property
cindymindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by binabodi View Post

Does anyone know if there is a comparison for PORS vs. POFQ?
Both are very nice resorts. POR is much larger than POFQ. POFQ only has one bus stop, so you might consider that a plus for POFQ. No room at POFQ will be far and away from the food court or bus stop either. However, the gift shop and food court at POFQ are considerably smaller than the ones at POR.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

Add me to the brigade of size against CBR... We stayed there once and it was just so huge! It took us a good 20 minutes of walking to get from our building to the bus stop. Also, the beignets at POR. THIS CAN NOT BE UNDERSTATED. THEY ARE THE GREATEST BREAKFAST FOOD OF ALL TIME!

Ahem... sorry.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
tarzansmom
I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

I have stayed at both CBR and POR and liked both a lot. POR holds a special place in my heart because it was my first resort and my honeymoon resort but CBR was a lot of fun too. My son liked CBR best because of the pirate pool and pirate themed room but as you have girls they might like the royal rooms better. CBR was a bit of a walk especially from the pirate rooms to the food court/ main pool. Of course there are rooms that are much closer.

2003- POR * 2005- POP * 2006- POP * 2008- POP/CSR * 2010- WL * 2011- CBR * 2013-?
tarzansmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: