Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Ideas for bringing healthier snacks and breakfast items in suitcase.

We are flying Southwest next trip and can bring 2 suitcases each. I want to pack either a small case with breakfast and snacks or distribute these items with our clothes. It is myself and two teen kids, going in February and staying dvc , so we will have a fridge and microwave. I need to bring fruit ( I am thinking apples and clementines will travel well). Need more ideas please. TIA
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Cereal, bagels, granola bars, dried fruit, pretzels, baby carrots, trail mix or just plain nuts

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
hoosll
DIS Veteran

I brought instant oatmeal for breakfast and granola bars for snacks. The store at the resort will have fruit, juices, coffee cake/buns. How about microwave popcorn?!?
WL - Feb '02; WL - Sep '03 Big Willie's B-day
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
WL - Nov '06 - Big Willie retires
BWV - Nov '07 Midweek long weekend
WL - Apr '12 Me, DD, and DGS4, DGS2 -their 1st trip!
FW - Dec '12 First time in RV; Feb '13 Midwinter escape; Feb '14 Snowbirds!
hoosll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

You can buy milk and juice there in the gift shop for breakfast

Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Giselle22
Mouseketeer

Bagels and cream cheese are great and easy for breakfast (as long as you don't mind eating your bagels un-toasted). Although I suppose transporting cream cheese might be tricky....hmm...
As far as snacks, there are tons are tasty and healthy granola bars out there, and those are super easy to pack (both in luggage and in your bag at the park!) I always bring granola bars and fruit snacks or fruit leather to Disney. Smuckers Uncrustables are also easy options for breakfasts or snacks.
Let me know what else you decide to bring as I am trying to make some similar decisions myself! And have a great trip!!
Giselle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Multigrain english muffins (I think I had a toaster in the DVC room)

Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giselle22 View Post
Bagels and cream cheese are great and easy for breakfast (as long as you don't mind eating your bagels un-toasted). Although I suppose transporting cream cheese might be tricky....hmm...
As far as snacks, there are tons are tasty and healthy granola bars out there, and those are super easy to pack (both in luggage and in your bag at the park!) I always bring granola bars and fruit snacks or fruit leather to Disney. Smuckers Uncrustables are also easy options for breakfasts or snacks.
Let me know what else you decide to bring as I am trying to make some similar decisions myself! And have a great trip!!
I'm pretty sure they sell cream cheese in the resort gift shops

Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

On each trip we've flown, I've taken a small (think a about an adult shoe sized box) Sterlite plastic container and filled it with our breakfast items. I packed clothes around it. It didn't take up too much space and it protected my food from being crushed. I've taken Kashi cereal and granola bars; they have a lot of healthy varieties. I've also taken whole grain peanut butter crackers and instant oatmeal packets. I tucked bowls and spoons in my breakfast kit to be prepared. I then used water from the coffee pot to make the oatmeal. I've also packed individual size cereal boxes and then purchased milk at the resort gift shop. We've always found fresh fruit available at the resort gift shop which was easier than packing because it bruises too easily and takes up more space in luggage. You could pack small clementine oranges easily, though. For snacks: granola bars, peanut butter crackers, whole grain crackers or cheez-its, popcorn, nuts, etc.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Another option is to order food through Garden Grocer and have it delivered to your room. The convenience might make the slight upcharge worth it.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Quin
DIS Veteran

We've done this on Southwest as well. Granola bars and trail mix travel well, as do pop-tarts. Nuts are super easy. I generally bring something like a box of teddy grahams for in-room snacking. I like the microwave popcorn idea. The pre-packaged box of assorted peanut butter crackers and cheese crackers travels OK. We also successfully brought a package of flat cookies (those big round flat Fig Newtons) two years ago; just had them in their original packaging. I don't know about fruit.

Do remember that the luggage may be subjected to some temperature extremes and some pressure changes in the luggage compartment; don't bring anything such as dairy products that could be damaged. Or leak.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

Weigh your stash

The fruit combined with grocery items will add weight to your flight there, so make sure to distribute throughout your luggage to meet the airlines' requirements. It can sneak up on you
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. The sterilite box is a great idea as the kids love certain cereals, but they get crushed in the suitcase. We will have fridge, microwave and toaster, so lots of options there. Any ideas for sources of protein for breakfast besides bagels and cream cheese or peanut butter? We are always starving by 11:00 in Disney due to rope drop and all the walking. Protein would help!
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

I think the GoPicnic meals might be a decent change of pace for a substantial snack/small meal. They're lightweight and would be easily transported. You should also be able to order them online and have them shipped to your resort.
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
katt789
DIS Veteran

I usually bring healthy breakfast items with me in the mornings, quicker, cheaper, just easy.

-"Protein/meal replacement bars" (Clif bars, Luna bars, etc) They're going to be better for you than a granola bar because they have more nutrients and filling aspects and will keep you full longer

-Apples! I'll usually pack a bag of them to bring from home.

-Little boxes of cereal, specifically cheerios!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Married_Him_@_Disney
A Disney Mom

Another idea would be to send your snacks in the mail ahead of time to the hotel, and then pick them up at the front desk when you get there. You could also take a quick taxi ride to the grocery store

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: