Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Welcome Basket - ideas to include?

DH and I are going to WDW in March with our DD and my parents. Last week my dad decided he was going to bring my brother/SIL/nephews along as well! It will be my nephews' first trip. My brother and I went when I was little (see signature), and SIL went once in HS I believe.

Brother/SIL/Nephews are staying at All Star Sports the first 2 nights they are there, then they are joining the rest of us at Shades of Green. I'd like to have a welcome basket in their room at All Star Sports if at all possible. My dad is paying for the hotel for them, so would he be able to "check in" before they arrive so we could set it up? (Their flight arrives at 9pm the night they get there, my parents and DH and I arrive the day before).

Also - what would you include in a welcome basket for 2 boys (6 and 3)? So far I've purchased small Buzz and Woody plushes, Toy Story silly bandz, and 4 disposable cameras (2/child).

I was thinking of adding a water bottle for each boy (Agent P for the 6 y/o, Lightning McQueen for the 3 y/o) that we can then have for water around the parks. I'm also hoping that I'll be able to put together a shutterfly photo book (2 copies, 1/kid) as an autograph book with pictures of their family with characters on one side, and an open page facing it for the character to sign and to paste in a picture of them with the character later. I also want to look and see if I can find glow sticks/necklaces at the dollar store before we go to include them. I also contemplated getting the shoe ID tags for each nephew and putting it in there, but I may just suggest those to their parents instead and let the parents decide.

What other ideas do you have for a basket like this? Anything that I could include for the parents? I'd like to surprise them with something as well.

TIA!

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
what would you include in a welcome basket for 2 boys (6 and 3)? So far I've purchased small Buzz and Woody plushes, Toy Story silly bandz, and 4 disposable cameras (2/child).
Awesome

I was thinking of adding a water bottle for each boy (Agent P for the 6 y/o, Lightning McQueen for the 3 y/o) that we can then have for water around the parks.
This is a good idea- but I would suggest getting the Brita self-filtering ones. Then you can refill them anywhere. We did this for our 6&2yo this past trip and it worked swimmingly. lol

I'm also hoping that I'll be able to put together a shutterfly photo book (2 copies, 1/kid) as an autograph book with pictures of their family with characters on one side, and an open page facing it for the character to sign and to paste in a picture of them with the character later.
So sweet of you! I love this idea! If you can't get it done in time though I'm sure they'd love to have just the Disney one. I made my kids share one. hehehe I told them that way they have all the autographs in one place

I also want to look and see if I can find glow sticks/necklaces at the dollar store before we go to include them.
Good idea- I did the same thing! Those things are pricey in the park... check out the Target dollar rack and 5below too if you have one. They have blinky bracelets and many times they have Disney themed things. You could also look at Oriental Trading.

What other ideas do you have for a basket like this? They had Disney temporary tattoos at Michaels or AC Moore when I went a few months ago. They may still have them. My kids LOVED them. I'd also recommend juice boxes, fruit snacks (Kellogs makes Mickey & Friends ones. I got them @Target), snacks for the park are always great to have, hand sanitizer, anti-bacterial hand wipes...

Anything that I could include for the parents? I'd like to surprise them with something as well.
Some wine... lol Single serve wine would be cool. Granola bars and stuff could be for the parents and the kids.

TIA!
My suggestions are in pink!
I just made a basket like this for my GF who was taking her 3 kids for the first time =) Matching tshirts are always a cute gift. The disney store usually has them pretty cheap... although I have a Disney outlet like 10 mins away. So I usually get them for 5-6$$. This sounds so nice!!! I wish someone had made us one!
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Since its their first time, maybe you could surprise them with the "First Trip" pins!

Last edited by Sphinx610; 02-01-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: misread
Sphinx610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Bronte
DIS Veteran

We have been many times but this spring break my dd is bringing one of her friends, an international student who would never be able to go without the help of her host family and us. I went on the Disney web site and made some custom maps with her name on them (free) ordered the planning dvd (free) got her a blanket and am having a friend embroider it for her (name date first trip stuff) we plan to get all the ride photos and make a shutterfly photo book as well.
In the past I like to send a gift box when a friend is going for the first time ... usually cheep stuff off the disney store web site ... Beach towels, stuff plushes, water bottles, ponchos ...
I second the idea of the wine for the parents !!!! Once for a friend going to disney for her 50th I went around Epcot and got a bottle of wine from each country and had them sign the box "happy birthday" in their language ... big hit !!!!
Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
My dad is paying for the hotel for them, so would he be able to "check in" before they arrive so we could set it up?
Unless Disney has changed something, no, your father would not be able to check your brother's family in. Your father's name would have to be on the reservation and it can't be since your brother has already hit the room occupancy of four. It doesn't matter who is paying for the room.

It might have helped if you were staying at the same place since your father then could have asked when you checked in if he could just come down the next morning and check in his son's room. It also helps if the last names are the same. That's what I did when I checked in my in-laws at All Stars a few years ago.

You can try but don't be disappointed if it doesn't work.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Unless Disney has changed something, no, your father would not be able to check your brother's family in. Your father's name would have to be on the reservation and it can't be since your brother has already hit the room occupancy of four. It doesn't matter who is paying for the room.

It might have helped if you were staying at the same place since your father then could have asked when you checked in if he could just come down the next morning and check in his son's room. It also helps if the last names are the same. That's what I did when I checked in my in-laws at All Stars a few years ago.

You can try but don't be disappointed if it doesn't work.
Thanks! If we can't, we can't...in that case it wouldn't be as much of a surprise for the parents, but we could still make it a surprise for the kids by bringing the basket to their hotel room after they've arrived and checked in, but after the boys are asleep. It could be waiting for them in the morning that way.

We would have preferred to all be at Shades the entire time, but Shades didn't have any rooms available on the first 2 nights they are joining us, so we had to get them other rooms. Hopefully it will work out, but if not we'll still find a way to make the magic happen :smile:

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Angel, two things.

If you're planning on buying the ride photos - and maybe a character meal? IT might pay you to get the Photopass Plus. With the plus pass you can get the ride/charcter photos on the cd as well as regular photo pass photos. preorder and you might find a discount.

Keep checking Shades until the last minute - they may have a cancellation.

If you can put your gift basket in a box, you can leave it at their hotels check in desk clearly marked with name, check in date and reservation number. Make sure the staff note on their reservation that there is a box for them. It will be handed over when they check in.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Angel, two things.

If you're planning on buying the ride photos - and maybe a character meal? IT might pay you to get the Photopass Plus. With the plus pass you can get the ride/charcter photos on the cd as well as regular photo pass photos. preorder and you might find a discount.
We are talking to my brother/SIL about the ride photos. We aren't big on them for ourselves, but they might like some of the 6 y/o. He is tall enough for pretty much every ride (save a few at DQ, which we're not going to), but I don't know if they will want him to go on every ride or not. So we need to look at the rides with photos and see if he'll be going on enough of them to factor that in. We are planning on Chef Mickey's at the moment as well.

Quote:
Keep checking Shades until the last minute - they may have a cancellation.
I will, but I'm not hoping for anything

Quote:
If you can put your gift basket in a box, you can leave it at their hotels check in desk clearly marked with name, check in date and reservation number. Make sure the staff note on their reservation that there is a box for them. It will be handed over when they check in.
Good to know! Thanks!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

Agrarian with pp about leaving a box. Just ship it down, that way you won't have to drop it off. Since your father is paying for it, he should have the reservation umber which needs to be included on the box. I think it would be cool to check in and receive a surprise. I don't know if any one mentioned this, but a lanyard and some pins(can be purchased on eBay) would be fun. My boys have loved doing this for years. Also, the book, Hidden Mickey's, is one of their favorites. It makes waiting in line fun as you look for all of them.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
SolitaryPhoenix
Mouseketeer

I don't have any suggestions to add, I just wanted to say it's a lovely thing to do; you are a great sister and a wonderful auntie. Much pixie dust!
11/04 ~ PC | 10/3-10/8/05 ~ PC | 12/16-12/18/05 ~ CS | 1/27-1/29/06 ~ split PC/CS | 3/3-3/5/06 ~ POR | 9/24-9/30/06 ~ split Swan/POR | 6/6-6/9/07 ~ PC | 6/8-6/14/08 ~ POR ~ DD 1st visit! | 9/12-9/14/08 ~ AKV Jambo ~ 1st as DVC members! | 12/19-12/21/08 ~ WL [DVC] | 5/10-5/14/09 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] | 6/5-6/7/09 ~ PC |7/26-7/28/09 ~ OKW [DVC] with DD | 9/17-9/19/10 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ Mom's 75th, whole family's coming! | 6/24-6/26/11 ~ FW with DD|6/1-6/3/12 ~ FW with DD, nephew + friends | 6/24-6/29/12 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ My '50 Is The New 40' Birthday Celebration! |8/9-8/12/12 ~ FW with DD + friend | 9/21-23/12 ~ AKV [DVC] ~ first stay at Kidani! | 2/8-2/10/13 ~ PC | 3/2-3/3/13 ~ PC w/ DD + friend | 5/10-5/12/13 ~ CS w/ DD ~ Solo Camping Trip!| 9/13 - 9/16/13 ~ AKV-Kidani | April 4 thru 6, 2014 ~ AKV-Kidani ~ Flower & Garden | June 21 to June 22, 2014 ~ WL ~ DD and me!
September 4 thru 7, 2014 ~ Disney Dream cruise with the family! || September 27 to September 28, 2014 ~ OKW ~ aunt/nephew time! || November 13 thru 16, 2014 ~ FW ~ camping with DD
SolitaryPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanboys View Post
Also, the book, Hidden Mickey's, is one of their favorites. It makes waiting in line fun as you look for all of them.
I was planning on getting them this, and I forgot to mention it! It's in my amazon cart already

Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryPhoenix View Post
I don't have any suggestions to add, I just wanted to say it's a lovely thing to do; you are a great sister and a wonderful auntie. Much pixie dust!
Thank you! I hope the boys enjoy the surprise AND their trip I want to make it as special as I can for them!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
dprincessmom
Mouseketeer

The only thing I could recommend is hit your Michael's bargain row - there is always Disney stuff on it for very inexpensive. Little coloring sets, doodle pads, etc that help pass the time while waiting for the shows, parades, heck even a dinner res. The other thing you might think about adding is a small gift card so they can find a treasure of their own. Have a great time you sound like you are the "fun" aunt in your family and I know that that is like
Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
DznyDreamz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte View Post
Once for a friend going to disney for her 50th I went around Epcot and got a bottle of wine from each country and had them sign the box "happy birthday" in their language ... big hit !!!!
I absolutely LOVE this idea (but as a gift for myself!!!!) What a fun thing to bring home.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
Cinderella909
Mouseketeer

I always do welcome baskets for our trips. One thing to keep in mind is with their late arrival, I would want to minimalize the excitement on arrival and try to get them settled and to bed. Welcome baskets left in the room overnight is always something exciting to wake up to see.

As far as welcome baskets, I like to use a theme for the trip. I like to use recyle bags, disney sells them and will ship them. My local grocery store had some Disney theme bags, so I picked up a few too. Keeping the theme in mind, I always pick up paper plates and napkins for the room. If not on the dining plan, you could get a refillable mug for everyone. I also picked up some cute tervis tumbler (Disney theme too) for the goodie bags. Glow sticks, mickey ears, treats for snacking (again, Disney theme). Water bottles/fans for everyone. PJs... t shirts.

I always hit the dollar stores/Micheals for Disney items. If you are creative and have some time, you might want to check out the creative disigns threads, as they have loads of creative ideas.

Whatever you decide will be fabulous.

Enjoy! Karen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: