Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

I am passing time in the parking lot waiting for DS12. About the cub scout/boy scout issue, you are right to address it. DS was in a great cub troop, crossed over to boy scouts & the behavior was awful in the troop. He finished the year, but we didn't go back. Neither of the leaders addressed the behavior of the boys. It was pretty scary & we were afraid to leave son unattended with the troop. After 1 meeting, I had to call a pediatrician friend for signs to watch for a concussion because of the "game" being played by the boys during reviews. On another campout, this same scout was stepping on & killing frogs. I realize his home situation wasn't great & he "needed" scouting, but the behavior also needed to be addressed & corrected & LONG before he reached the level he was at. I wish you luck. FWIW, all the boys that crossed with my son have left the troop.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
disney-akj
DIS Veteran

My list today:

BUSY!!!!!!!!! Doing a quick drive by for my 1 hour at home until late tonight. I am living the dream ladies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyniknate View Post
I get angry about it, but then I stop and realize that he is the kid out of the whole group that probably needs the program the most. Mom and dad are both pretty hands off at parenting and the kid runs wild. He seems to be pretty at-risk. I just keep telling myself that I may be one of the adults in his life to give him the guidance he needs. Sometimes its really hard to remember, though.
I know exactly what you mean. I hate that feeling, and deal with it everyday as a teacher. I can't believe that the mother sits and watches this behavior. That is the worst part of the whole situation. I wonder if you could put him on some type of reward system to see if things would change, not that it is necessarily your job. I have tried that with a few kids at VBS. (You know the kids whose parents sign them up for every VBS in the whole area so their kids are out of their hair all summer and they have no parental involvement) Good luck!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Danielle, sorry you have to deal with this. Why do parents think they can take the hands off approach? That poor boy.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Oh, Danielle, I'm sorry you're dealing with it. Why is the mom there? Does he act better when she's not? Obviously, he's trying to get her attention, even if it's negative That makes me sad.

Ended up with a migraine and in bed once I picked Morgan up. I didn't get to go to the technique club with Holly.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

Jennifer - sorry you missed your outing because of a migraine. They suck!

Thanks for the advice ladies! Here's what I'm thinking:

He is actually better when mom is not there, but because of the age of the boys (7 & 8) and the fact that meetings are only 1 1/2 hours, a lot of the parents stick around and hang out so they don't have to go home and come right back.

One of the other fathers actually chose to say something to the kid on Monday night. I didn't know it until last night, but he was sitting on the floor trying to trip the other boys as they were doing what they were supposed to be doing during a physical activity (I was signing books at the time).

Would I be overstepping things if I sat down with mom and dad and explained that there would now be one warning for bad behavior, and if it continued at a specific meeting he would have to go home? Kinda one warning and then you're out? I can tell the other parents are getting frustrated with him and his behavior. What about if I made it non-specific and had a sit-down with all of the boys and their parents and explained the rule? Do you think I would be better off with him and his family specifically? Or with the group as a whole?

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Oh, that's a tough one. I guess I would have it as a full meeting so as not to single out the boy and his family. It's unfortunate that you have to do it at all, but probably better to make it a "TROOP" rule than just a 'that boy' rule.

You may want to mention to everyone that their boys act differently when their parents are not there. Perhaps there is another room they can go to, the library down the street(?) or plan an errand around the meeting so that they aren't there during it. Part of the scouting experience should be getting away from your parents, too (We have families that treated it as low-cost babysitting, so I've been on both sides as well). Good luck!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
JJ&JHsmom
DIS Veteran

Danielle, I agree with Jennifer about having a talk with the whole group and not singling anyone out. I also like her suggestion about having parents plan an errand during the meeting or you could ask that they help out if they plan on staying.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #23
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the advice. I spoke with my assistant last night and we agree that a talk with the entire group is the best way. We are also going to see if we can meet in a different room than the waiting parents or see if there's something they can do to be out of the church.

Hoping we can resolve this so all of 2013 isn't dominated by this kids behavior.

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: