Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
We've called home (Verizon) from Ketchikan, Juneau, and Anchorage. No extra charges.

Same here. And it was interesting to watch some of the crew (many of them in overalls, so I assume they were engine room staff) as we pulled out of ports talking on their cell phones to loved ones far away. But like clock work, about 20 minutes after we pulled out, they ended their calls, so I suspect that was about the time the phones would switch from the land carriers to Cellular at Sea.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
spgoad
Mouseketeer

Location: In the middle. 1263 miles from WDW, 1337 miles from DLR.

Thinking about our cruise coming up... I'm mixed on the fact that we can use our cell phones in port. It'll be nice to have I'm sure, but one of the best parts of our Bahamian cruise last year was the "unplugged" feeling. We didn't want to pay the roaming, so the phones stayed in cruise (airplane) mode the whole time. It was awesome. Not that I dislike my phone, just nice to be forced away from it every once and a while. Not sure yet what I'll plan to do in Alaska...
Our Trips: WDW Jan., 2011 - All Star Music; DLR July, 2011 - Desert Inn; DCL June, 2012 - Dream to Bahamas; WDW Mar., 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; DCL June, 2013 - Wonder to Alaska; DLR Dec., 2013 - Castle Inn; DCL June, 2014 - Fantasy Eastern Caribbean;
spgoad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
TwingleMomFl
Mouseketeer

Yes,I agree too! That's one of the things that I love about cruising. Is "unplugging"! Although it was nice in St. Thomas to touch base on a 7 night sailing. I do love being on cruise ships and not having my husband contrarily being on the phone or my son looking at you tube!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
algae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwingleMomFl View Post
Thank you everyone for the feedback! I did know we are in the U.S. at port, but was wondering with the mountains how spotty the signal would be.
On AT&T, in mountains around the ports we had a good signal. But no regular carrier service when sailing through the fjords and stuff. Even though there's land close by, there's no people on that land, so no reason to put up cell towers.

Keep in mind that, in the ports, about 2,000 other people (per ship) are trying to get a signal all at the same time. Don't expect reliable service even if you show 4 bars of signal. We tried using our cellphones to call others in our party while in port at Skagway. A lot of times, the call would not go through despite having a good signal.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

We have Verizon and had good coverage in ports. Also had coverage for the hour or so prior to arriving in Ketchikan, (we were sailing past more populated areas so signal was better).

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: