Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
just drea
Earning My Ears

pin exchanges???

Hi All!! we haven't cruised for about 10 years (omg ) thankgoodness we are booked for our first Euro cruise for 12 days starting June 27,2013!!

Should I bring my pin collection??? I didn't know if pin trading was still popular, I have about 3 lanyards full .
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
ludari
DIS Veteran

Yes, you can do pin trading with crew and passengers. They even list times and places on the Personal Navigator.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Just off 4 day Dream cruise.....yesterday There was one organized pin exchange with the officers. That was a good one. Otherwise i only saw may be 10 employees wearing lanyards thru the whole cruise and often times it was the same couple lanyards cuz I kept seeing the same pattern of pins. I wouldn't bring my whole collection ...may be a selection of pins you think you might like to trade. It was not like in the parks where you see them everywhere
chrismartinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
just drea
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your responses, very helpful especially suggesting I not bring all my pins, just those I may want to trade...YAY!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
just drea
Earning My Ears

thanks for a reply!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
luv2cruisedisney
Mouseketeer

As a collector of DCL pins I am always dismayed at the trading that happens on a cruise

They have the one tading with officers and the shop CM's have a few laynards but the reality is that trading on the ships is very limited.

Be sure to ask at the shop to see their binder. they will let you trade 2 pins per day.

the longer cruises do have a few more opportunities, they will sometimes start selling a new LE part way through the cruise and be sure to check on CC because I have seen pins on the island that were not on the ship.

If you are specifically looking for DCL pins the choices will be VERY limited.

Another suggestion would be to check with your cruise meet and see if there will be any other traders going. I have made some very good trades by meeting up with people I have met on the DIS.

Good Luck
Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

Daily, you can trade with those at guest services, the shops, and usually the CM handing out the wipes at the restaurants and buffets have them on.

On the Wonder, most nights there was a woman with the big showcase just outside the shops. She also did trading in the lobby once or twice, and she was the 'head' person for the officer's pin trading. The officer's showed up and she got them the lanyards to get started. One officer was quite good at knowing when she needed another lanyard.

The officer trading had some great pins. I was on the Wonder and got one of the Gingerbread house that said "Wonder Holidays 2012' or something like that - I'm sure it was a $10 pin (weighs a TON). They also had a ton of Alaska ones because the Wonder had been in Alaska. My daughter got one from Disneyland Paris with Minnie in front of Notre Dame. She was so excited when Joyce, the pin guru, told us to go to the shops and ask for Eloidie, a CM who had worked at Disneyland Paris. Well, when we showed her the pin she knew all about it and said it was 5+ years old and part of a set sold only in Paris. My daughter is going to Paris in March and just was as happy as could be about this whole pin trade and story.

It was fun. We gave some pins to little kids who wanted to start trading so if you have extras, spread the magic.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Make friends with the CM's in the shops!!

When we went last year, there was a lot of English girls, and I had taken Cadburys on board to give out to our Room Host, Kids Club CM's, shop CM's etc.

I went in the first day and got chatting, as I am English and didn't think there would be many English passengers on our particular cruise, so thought it would be nice to say hello!

Anyway, I said we were all into pin trading, and who our characters that we all collected were. They went out of their way to trade pins, pointed us in the direction of another CM who traded Chip and Dale (same as my son). I provided them with lots of chocolate!

The first or second day we got back to our cabin to find certificates had been made up for the kids with pins on them, which I thought was a nice touch. I went and gave them more chocolate as a thank you!

A couple of days before officer trading they were left cards at our cabin with more pins on asking them to attend officer trading. I expected it to be lots of kids, but it was just my two. They were provided with lanyards and pins to trade so they didn't have to use their own, plus got to keep them after.

It was formal night, so my kids were dressed up, and of course the officers were, so I got some fab photos! Kids loved it and got some great pins, plus every time they traded and got one that I liked they'd call me over really quick!
Ladyshopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: