Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Disneynewtome
Mouseketeer

Question Making Reservations

Which way is best, in your opinon when making dinner reservations by phone and talking directly to Disney, making the reservation on line, or letting the travel agent do it (if they offer it)Thanks
Disneynewtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
staceycrouton
Mouseketeer

We like to make our reservations online. The online system opens at 6am Eastern Time and the phone system doesn't open until 7am. This gives you an hour head start which may or may not make a difference on your reservations but, why take a chance! As much as we love our travel agent, we prefer to make the reservations ourselves. This way we can move around restaurants and times, if we have to, in order to accommodate our schedule and the availability of certain restaurants. I definitely suggest being online at 6am Eastern time at your 180 day mark to give yourself the best chance of getting the dates/times/restaurants that you want!
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
disney516
Mouseketeer

The only time I had to call to make a reservation was for cinderella's royal table because it was one were you had to pay in advance. We had the dining plan so we had to call to tell them that so they wouldn't charge us for the meal. However, the rest of the time we used the online reservations, and it worked great!
disney516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
staceycrouton
Mouseketeer

Make sure that when you log onto the Disney website to book your dining that you remember to link your dining to your Disney hotel reservation number (This is assuming that you are staying in a Disney hotel). This way you can book up to 10 days into your trip. Depending on which restaurants that you are booking, you may be required to give a credit card #. If you are on the dining plan, the credit card will only be charged if you do not cancel a reservation at least 24 hours in advance and/or just do not show up for a reservation ($10 per person).
Old 08-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
disney516
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceycrouton
Make sure that when you log onto the Disney website to book your dining that you remember to link your dining to your Disney hotel reservation number (This is assuming that you are staying in a Disney hotel). This way you can book up to 10 days into your trip. Depending on which restaurants that you are booking, you may be required to give a credit card #. If you are on the dining plan, the credit card will only be charged if you do not cancel a reservation at least 24 hours in advance and/or just do not show up for a reservation ($10 per person).
The ones that require a credit will be charged in full if you don't show up for the reservation, such as Cinderella's table or a dinner show.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney516 View Post
The ones that require a credit will be charged in full if you don't show up for the reservation, such as Cinderella's table or a dinner show.
Last October they started charging a $10 per person "didn't cancel in time/no show at the restaurant" penalty for restaurants with character meals and signature restaurants.

As for making reservations, my preference is online. I can do it at my convenience, check multiple times a day if looking for a hard to get res and I don't have to take the time going through Disney's telephone tree/waiting on hold. I prefer to be in control of my reservations so I wouldn't leave it to a TA, even if she was taking care of some other things for my vacation.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
disney516
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple figment

Last October they started charging a $10 per person "didn't cancel in time/no show at the restaurant" penalty for restaurants with character meals and signature restaurants.

As for making reservations, my preference is online. I can do it at my convenience, check multiple times a day if looking for a hard to get res and I don't have to take the time going through Disney's telephone tree/waiting on hold. I prefer to be in control of my reservations so I wouldn't leave it to a TA, even if she was taking care of some other things for my vacation.
Oh. I was just there two weeks ago, and we were told for cinderella's royal table and mickey's backyard BBQ that we would be charged in full.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Never mind!
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney516 View Post
Oh. I was just there two weeks ago, and we were told for cinderella's royal table and mickey's backyard BBQ that we would be charged in full.
Yes, CRT and the dinner shows (luau, Hoop De Doo and Mickey's Barbecue) are fully prepaid meals at the time you make the reservation.

I was responding to the fact that not all restaurants that require a cc hold will charge you more than $10 per person if you don't cancel/don't show up.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
disney516
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple figment

Yes, CRT and the dinner shows (luau, Hoop De Doo and Mickey's Barbecue) are fully prepaid meals at the time you make the reservation.

I was responding to the fact that not all restaurants that require a cc hold will charge you more than $10 per person if you don't cancel/don't show up.
Okay I understand what you meant now
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
RunnerMomO
DIS Veteran

Be aware, sometimes the online system shows no availability, but when you call, they are able to find some. We were trying to get afternoon tea reservations and I couldn't find anything for the rest of the year! My mom called and was able to get it for Labor Day weekend.
RunnerMomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerMomO View Post
Be aware, sometimes the online system shows no availability, but when you call, they are able to find some. We were trying to get afternoon tea reservations and I couldn't find anything for the rest of the year! My mom called and was able to get it for Labor Day weekend.
Curious... the CM I spoke to said that what we see on line is what they see.
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
princessaloha
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPaco View Post
Curious... the CM I spoke to said that what we see on line is what they see.
I was told the same thing plus she added that it's all the same system. Her approximate reply was, "When a reservation is made available it's put into the same system. So you can see it on line at the same time we can".
princessaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Agreed- I have always been told that their system is identical to online. The only difference is they can see some of your ADRs you've already booked if that area of the website is malfunctioning.

I prefer doing it all online myself. I've had some wonderful people on the phone and some idiots on the phone...but the biggest plus online is that you get a 1hr edge on people who choose to only book by phone. i.e. the 180th day opens up online 1 hr before the phones.

My travel agent has offered to book my ADRs, but I prefer to have control over this. If you're picky about ADR times and spots, it's nice to be in control of booking.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
Disneynewtome
Mouseketeer

Talking

I'll be online bright and early!!!!........now the next thing to think about is where to eat!!! Thanks Guys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: