Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
BeccaBelle
Earning My Ears

Visa Rewards Question

So I figured this has probably already been discussed but I can not find the answer when searching. We have earned some reward dollars through our Visa Card and I am wondering if we can apply the money toward our (already-booked) cruise. It's not like it's enough to pay the cruise off or anything but every bit helps. If it is something you can do, does anyone know how to go about doing it or even if it's worth doing? I haven't even applied for the redemption card yet because I was considering just using it onboard and had heard they expire (We don't cruise till September) Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 night Bahamian 3/29/09 - 4/2/09 on Wonder
7-night W. Caribbean 4/2/11 - 4/9/11 on Magic
BeccaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

They expire December 31 of the year after you get the redemption card, so no difference if you get it now or in August.

You can use it to pay toward the cruise, but we just save it for onboard expenses. Besides, you want to be using the Disney Visa to pay for the cruise so you get the Visa onboard credit (if not already getting some sort of deal from Disney).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
BeccaBelle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
They expire December 31 of the year after you get the redemption card, so no difference if you get it now or in August.

You can use it to pay toward the cruise, but we just save it for onboard expenses. Besides, you want to be using the Disney Visa to pay for the cruise so you get the Visa onboard credit (if not already getting some sort of deal from Disney).
Good to know about the expiration date!

In my searching for an answer I saw that you can get $50 OBC if you pay for your cruise in full with your Visa which we have not done so far. I think we put the deposit on our card but have been using debit to pay since then.

I am considering paying off the rest of the cruise with the Visa though so we can add to our reward dollars and then use it onboard. I just don't like the idea of having such a high credit card bill and having to pay a lot of interest!

4 night Bahamian 3/29/09 - 4/2/09 on Wonder
7-night W. Caribbean 4/2/11 - 4/9/11 on Magic
BeccaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

That's a good point. Since I pay off my card each month, the interest isn't an issue to me. You do get 6 months with no interest when you use the Disney Visa for a Disney vacation.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBelle View Post
Good to know about the expiration date!

In my searching for an answer I saw that you can get $50 OBC if you pay for your cruise in full with your Visa which we have not done so far. I think we put the deposit on our card but have been using debit to pay since then.

I am considering paying off the rest of the cruise with the Visa though so we can add to our reward dollars and then use it onboard. I just don't like the idea of having such a high credit card bill and having to pay a lot of interest!
You can call DCL and they will refund the charges you made with your debit card and then charge them to you Disney Visa if you want them to. I found out about this because I accidentally made a payment using a different card and then called DCL to see if they could help me. The woman I spoke with said that not only could she help me fix that mistake, but she could "fix" an earlier charge I had made as well. You can then just pay your Disney Visa bill with the money that is refunded to your debit card.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: