Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

I had The NovaSure procedure done at the end of March 2012 due to heavy menses. It's been wonderful for me! Extremely light spotting now. I went completely out for the procedure and woke up with a very bad burning pain that they had a hard time getting under control for me. I was in recovery longer then expected and did vomit due to the numerous pain meds they were giving me. Once I was released, I went home and slept most of the night and just rested the next day. I returned to work two days after the procedure.

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShanShan View Post
Had this done as an outpatient procedure (anesthesia used) in Sept. 2010 due to extremely heavy cycles and pain. I had good results for about 6months and then started with the same problems again. In Aug. 2011, I went back to my dr. and tried several other options (non requiring surgery). Nothing worked and I finally had a hysterectomy June 8 (7mths tomorrow). I wish I would have done the hysterectomy to begin with!
That is what I am afraid of..it returning! I am 45 and my ob told me women in their 40's have better luck than women in their 30's. Are you in your 40's?
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
AmazingGrace
Life is good, God is great!!!
Born again Texan
Enjoys a good Dole Whip
I saw the "I pooted" one. Made me laugh so hard that I, well, you know, POOTED!!!

I had an ablation in 2010. Haven't had more than spotting since then. Anesthesia was twilight and I was home within an hour or two of the procedure.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
scottmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingGrace View Post
I had an ablation in 2010. Haven't had more than spotting since then. Anesthesia was twilight and I was home within an hour or two of the procedure.
I think b/c I am getting D&C that the anesthesia is heavy. he told me I had to be perfeclty still all muscles relaxed for fear of a bladder or bowel knick. Just what I would need! I am also epileptic though seizure free due to meds for many many years and that too weighs on my mind...
DP
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
Jaxs27
Mouseketeer

I had ablation done 2 years ago because I was also anemic. Mine also got down to a 4 and iron pills made me sick. The ablation surgery went great, I just had twilight though. I would also be a little fearful of full anesthesia because before I got the ablation I had to have my gall bladder removed and one anesthesiologist refused to put me under because my levels were so low. I had to be moved to another hospital that had my blood type in supply to have the gall bladder surgery. After that I decided I had to do something about being anemic. My levels are now back up and I feel SO much better. My periods were horrible after I had my 3rd child and I really think it is because I got my tubes tied. That is something I wish I wouldn't have done after reading about the side affects, after the fact. My period has not come back and I am in my mid 30's.

2005 All-star Movies
2006 CBR
2008 Pop
2009 All-Star Movies
2010 Offsite (never again)
2010 All-star sports
2012 5 night Bahamas cruise on Magic
2013 POR
2014 All-Star Movies Half-Marathon
2014 7-night Fantasy Western Caribbean
Jaxs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 AM   #21
Betsy82
Mouseketeer

Do you still have the hormonal changes associated with a period if you've had these procedures done?

My hormonal shifts during a period are intense. I can feel how hateful, and miserable, ivebecome but I can't pull myself out. I've gotten better about just locking myself away and taking "me" time as to not bite their head off repeatedly, but it's frustrating.

Didn't mean to hijack th op but I'm terribly curious.
Betsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 AM   #22
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennazus8810 View Post
I had the Novasure done the first week of December. I was awake and it was done in the doctors office. The cramping during the 2 minute procedure was pretty bad, and lasted throughout the day. After about 6 hours I was feeling better, and by the time I woke up the next morning I was totally fine. I had a Christmas party at my house that night.
I had this same experience in December when I had a Novasure- I was in extreme pain- and it lasted the rest of the day. Hopefully it worked and was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy82 View Post
Do you still have the hormonal changes associated with a period if you've had these procedures done?

My hormonal shifts during a period are intense. I can feel how hateful, and miserable, ivebecome but I can't pull myself out. I've gotten better about just locking myself away and taking "me" time as to not bite their head off repeatedly, but it's frustrating.

Didn't mean to hijack th op but I'm terribly curious.
It is my understanding that the hormonal changes are due to ovulation and yes, you would still have your ovaries so you would still ovulate.

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #23
scottmel

OP here. I guess I feel that since I am controlling my anemia naturally (I even showed my hemotologist the pills I got at the chiropractor and he is recommending them to his patients who can't tolerate iron) - my iron levels are pretty normal now. I think do I mess with the surgery/etc. to be able to have normal iron levels without taking pills? Is it worth it ? I am struggling wtih that answer. I think if it was twilight sleep I would be more open to it.

I guess it comes down to am I willing to live with really heavy periods for 72 hours a month (the remaining days are light during the cycle). My iron is controlled with my natural pills. So the only pain to me really is when I get the cycle and I am on vacation or an inconvenient time in life.

I thought this surgery would be the answer to all of this but I am concerned it won't work though I was told the mid 40's is best b/c the lining WILL grow back but by the time it does I should be in menopause then....

I decided I am going to keep a detailed journal the next 2 cycles to see what I can live with. How bad is bad???? Funny thing is I was slated to ahve it last Friday and I am a prayerful person. The week of the surgery I get a UTI then my tooth starts killing me for no random reason and they were concerned I had a tooth infectin and wanted additional round of antibiotics. I just felt it was a sign to pull the plug on the surgery date and I did...
DP
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #24
njcarita
BL II - Red Team
If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?
the name DANNY TERRIO pooped into my head
I swear I am full of useless information...

my ferritin was 7 rbc and hemglobin were norml.....2 years ago.....began pumping up on Fe rich foods and the only only only fe supplements my stomache could tolerate was flintstones chewable multi with Iron ( contains ferrus fumarate as its Fe)............i kid u not........ so took them every day and ferrtin got into normal levels.... right now I am in the middle of a 8 day heavy period........yuck .........going for blood work this week.......... and I am going to call gyno........ i am in the middle of peri...with cycles all over the place....... long heavy bleeding...... and Now spotting here and there too........... boy is this fun.............. just to someone who mentioned a d& c and general........ i had it under twilight about 10 years ago..........due to a misscarrige.......

before 1988 didn't keep track- must have been over 20 times to disney- went every year with family

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight
Jan 1 2013 194.8lbs Height 5'9" BMI 28.8

Jan 1 2014 187.4 BMI 27.7Goal 150[/COLOR][/FONT]
njcarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #25
proud_canadian
DIS Veteran

Hi there,

I had an ablation about 5 years ago and I had it with NO anethetia, not even twilight and it was the most painful thing I have ever been through in my entire life. The nurses were holding me down.

I would highly recommend being put completely under if you do go through with the procedure.

For me the procedure didin't work and while my periods were slightly lighter, I ended up with spotting and light bleeding EVERY day for over a year. I still had "heavyish" periods, and then in between still needed a pad because there was still bleeding every single day.

I ended up with a hysterectomy a year later and it was the best thing I ever did. I feel 800% better!!!!

Good luck!
proud_canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
scottmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud_canadian View Post
Hi there,

I had an ablation about 5 years ago and I had it with NO anethetia, not even twilight and it was the most painful thing I have ever been through in my entire life. The nurses were holding me down.

I would highly recommend being put completely under if you do go through with the procedure.

For me the procedure didin't work and while my periods were slightly lighter, I ended up with spotting and light bleeding EVERY day for over a year. I still had "heavyish" periods, and then in between still needed a pad because there was still bleeding every single day.

I ended up with a hysterectomy a year later and it was the best thing I ever did. I feel 800% better!!!!

Good luck!
WHY No anesthesia??????
DP
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #27
scottmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcarita View Post
my ferritin was 7 rbc and hemglobin were norml.....2 years ago.....began pumping up on Fe rich foods and the only only only fe supplements my stomache could tolerate was flintstones chewable multi with Iron ( contains ferrus fumarate as its Fe)............i kid u not........ so took them every day and ferrtin got into normal levels.... right now I am in the middle of a 8 day heavy period........yuck .........going for blood work this week.......... and I am going to call gyno........ i am in the middle of peri...with cycles all over the place....... long heavy bleeding...... and Now spotting here and there too........... boy is this fun.............. just to someone who mentioned a d& c and general........ i had it under twilight about 10 years ago..........due to a misscarrige.......
Yep this is exactly me....
DP
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Having this done tomorrow in fact. I'm terrified. I had severe anemia this past year, but they thought the polyp/fibroid thing was what caused it so tomorrow I get to go under general anesthesia and have the procedure along with a d and c... I think... They keep telling me different things. But overall I know this stupid growth is going bye bye and hopefully my periods will lighten up
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #29
scottmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
Having this done tomorrow in fact. I'm terrified. I had severe anemia this past year, but they thought the polyp/fibroid thing was what caused it so tomorrow I get to go under general anesthesia and have the procedure along with a d and c... I think... They keep telling me different things. But overall I know this stupid growth is going bye bye and hopefully my periods will lighten up
I hope you will post your results....Once your anemia was diagonosed did you start taking iron? Did that work and bring your levels up?
DP
Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #30
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmel

I hope you will post your results....Once your anemia was diagonosed did you start taking iron? Did that work and bring your levels up?
Yup! The pills worked wonders and I feel better, but I'm off them now and feel terrible. But I have a follow up with both my gyn and primary care within the next month or two so hopefully tomorrow will solve everything like they said! Fingers crossed and hoping for pixie dust!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: