Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #16
nishijb
Earning My Ears

One more question. If I transfer my registration will I still have access to my registration through the Disney cruise website to purchase excursions, massage, cooking class, etc. or will these have to be arranged through the TA?
nishijb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishijb View Post
One more question. If I transfer my registration will I still have access to my registration through the Disney cruise website to purchase excursions, massage, cooking class, etc. or will these have to be arranged through the TA?
No, you do it yourself. Only difference is you make final payments through Costco by phone or web. I guess they are technically not a travel agent but a booking agent.
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
Billinaz
Waiting to spend time in our home away from home.. cabin 12506!

We have been using Costco for a while now. You get a cash card that is equal to 8 to 10 percent of your cruise cost.

The way to get the maximum card is to book with DCL but name Costco as your travel agent. We set up the reservation but make the deposit through Costco.

You will fill out a form naming them as the travel agent so they get control of the reservation number you got.

I thought if you transferred a res from another agent (DCL if you paid them as the agent) then you idnt get the cash card???

PAST CRUISES (13)
02/11/2004 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/03/2005 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Day WDW and 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2006 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/01/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Night Bahamas
02/08/2008 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/07/2009 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Western
02/07/2010 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/27/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- & Cabana #3 Inaugural 4Night Bahamas
03/03/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- Missed CC - Inaugural 3 Night Bahamas
04/21/2012 Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana #4- Inaugural 7 Night Eastern
04/20/2013 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana 4- 7 Night Eastern
03/08/2014 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506& Cabana 3- 7 Night Eastern
Billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have a trip coming up and have never heard of transferring my registration for a credit or gift card. Is there a thread on this? What are the other commonly used TAs? Is Costco currently the best option to do this?
Many TAs offer a "thanks for booking with us" gift. Some are onboard credits, some gift cards, some gifts delivered to your stateroom, etc.

If you booked directly with DCL rather than using an agent, you can transfer your reservation to an agent IF you have not fully paid for the cruise. If you transfer, the agency gets a lower commission than if you had booked with them originally. To reflect this reduced commission, some decrease the amount of the "perk" they offer. Other agencies will give their usual amount in hopes of gaining your future business.

Remember that you are buying their service as well as shopping for the best "perk". Costco gives a Costco gift card--if you typically shop there, this can be a good deal. On the other hand, make sure the agent knows what he/she is doing!

Differences among agencies include:
Hours--9-5 or are they available weekends and evenings? Do they have an emergency number for REAL emergencies while traveling?
Experience--have the agents been on the ships? Have they attended Disney training? How long have they been working in the travel business?
Communication--800 number? e-mail? your choice or their dictate?

You get the picture. There is MUCH more to the choice than just "how much of a perk can I get?"
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
nishijb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner

Remember that you are buying their service as well as shopping for the best "perk". Costco gives a Costco gift card--if you typically shop there, this can be a good deal. On the other hand, make sure the agent knows what he/she is doing!

Differences among agencies include:
Hours--9-5 or are they available weekends and evenings? Do they have an emergency number for REAL emergencies while traveling?
Experience--have the agents been on the ships? Have they attended Disney training? How long have they been working in the travel business?
Communication--800 number? e-mail? your choice or their dictate? You get the picture. There is MUCH more to the choice than just "how much of a perk can I get?"
I am new to DCL and am planning on just booking the trip myself, so any perk offered above what I receive directly through the DCL website sounds great to me. Since I selected my rooms and plan on selecting my own excursions based upon feedback from this forum, how important is it that my agent attend Disney training or agency hours? Given the factors that you recommend that I consider, is Costco a good choice to transfer my reservation to since I do shop there and I plan on managing the details of the cruise myself?
nishijb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #21
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I am new to DCL and am planning on just booking the trip myself, so any perk offered above what I receive directly through the DCL website sounds great to me. Since I selected my rooms and plan on selecting my own excursions based upon feedback from this forum, how important is it that my agent attend Disney training or agency hours? Given the factors that you recommend that I consider, is Costco a good choice to transfer my reservation to since I do shop there and I plan on managing the details of the cruise myself?
Just remember, there's the potential for an un-knowledgeable TA to mess up or ruin your reservation. You've turned over control of that reservation to them. I'd want to know they're at least familiar with how DCL works. A lot of TA's will also keep their eyes out for price reductions and other deals that may end up saving you money down the line. Again, I'd want someone who was familiar with DCL for that.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Just remember, there's the potential for an un-knowledgeable TA to mess up or ruin your reservation. You've turned over control of that reservation to them. I'd want to know they're at least familiar with how DCL works. A lot of TA's will also keep their eyes out for price reductions and other deals that may end up saving you money down the line. Again, I'd want someone who was familiar with DCL for that.

Sayhello
Exactly! Has the TA ever set foot on a DCL ship, or any ship for that matter? [Yes you can be "trained" by Disney but never get see the inside of a DCL ship.] Do they know how the dining rotation works to explain that to someone? How about how the PAT works and is assigned with the various booking windows? I want a TA who knows at least as much as I do having cruise 9 times on DCL, and preferably more so that if something unexpected comes up they will be right there with an answer and a solution. Last cruise when our window opened the night before we were moving back home 5 months after Irene there was a glitch in the system and I couldn't check in and get a PAT. I was up all night checking. My TA saw my FB post about being frustrated and told me not to worry about it, that she would handle it. For the next 24 hours she monitored the DCL website and when it was fixed got us an 11:00 PAT and emailed me. After the long weekend, seeing that email meant a great deal to me.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I guess it depends on what you need. For me, all I needed was the perks. I already knew why I wanted and how much it was. I HAD planned to book myself until I saw the OBC deals. So other than needing someone reputable with OBC, I had no other needs. It's great to have a TA who is available 24/7 with a Disney degree, lol, but that may not be for everyone.

I've been happy with DU. Beth had been great and answered any questions I've had in a reasonable time an the OBC was nice. That's all I needed.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #24
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Sorry for typos. Can you not edit on the ap?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
Fabooliss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec
Sorry for typos. Can you not edit on the ap?
Use the little blue arrow in the top right corner of your post... Same place as to quote.

Disneyland March 2014
POP Feb 2007, Jan 2011
Wonder Feb 2, 2013
Fabooliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

I recently transferred our 2 cabins to Costco. I booked while on board to receive the 10% discount and OBC. I waited until about 3 weeks from final payment to transfer over the reservations.

I asked and was told that there is not difference in the cash card price for booking directly with Costco or transferring it over. The one thing I will warn everyone is that at first they were not going to transfer over the reservations even though I had about $50 left on each to pay. They stated that if the full cruise fare is paid in full, then they will not transfer the reservation. So make sure to subtract off port fees and taxes to know how much to leave before transferring.

One last thing to save some money you can buy Disney gift cards from Target with a RED card and get 5% off. If you use the pharmacy you get another 5% off after 5 filled prescription and these can be added together. So you can save just about 10% off your cruise. You will need to input each card in online which takes some time, but well worth the roughly $1600 savings for the gift cards and transferring to Costco.

Upcoming: 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 12/14 - AKV

2014: July - BWV, Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
I think that booking directly with DCL was brought up because there are some TAs who no longer accept transfers due to the reduced commission paid to them by DCL. I thought that Costco was one of those...but their policy may have changed.
I recently spoke with a rep at Costco Travel as well. I was told that Costco would give the same cash card amount whether the cruise is booked directly through Costco or through DCL and then transferred.

I'm in the same boat as the OP as I learned about this right after I had paid in full! I will not make the same mistake again.

For the person who asked to be pointed to a thread with more info, search "Questions about using Costco Travel." I started that thread a week or so ago.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014

Last edited by Lisa Lisa; 01-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #28
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceFamily View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did book directly thru Disney (am I the only one to do this? What is it that I don't know? ).
I did the same thing! Stinks. Not sure it will help you but you are not alone! Sorry though.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Whether extended hours matters to you or not is sort of up to you. Whether your TA knows what they are doing is another matter. Someone posted on the boards tonight that she booked a cruise thru Costco and a WDW stay thru DVC. She was trying to add DCL transfers.

Costco refused to do it because they hadn't booked the WDW stay and DVC said it had to be done on the cruise booking....so OP was stuck and seeking help on the boards. The correct answer is that transfers are part of the cruise booking and must be booked thru the agency that has the cruise booking. SO...how much frustration has this OP endured at the hands of an agent who doesn't know Disney procedure?

I'm not saying Costco is bad or that this agent is bad; just that they didn't know what they were doing.

Most of the time, we can book and never need to call the TA again...but then there are "those" times....
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabooliss View Post
Use the little blue arrow in the top right corner of your post... Same place as to quote.
TY! lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: