Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #1156
zy144622
Mouseketeer

Have to stop in and do a happy dance! I have paid off 2 medical bills that have been around since fall 2011. Only 2 more to go!!! Now to cross my fingers that my DS1 2 urgent care visits in June to kill me...
zy144622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #1157
mum2simon
Mouseketeer

Joining the Disney Debt Dumpers!

Glad to find this thread...always great to know their are others working toward the same goals! We started snowballing our debt about 4 months ago and our snowball calculator says we will debt free in 22 months...agh....seems so far away!

But, I just filed our tax return today (I am a procrastinator) and it seems that we should get a good chunk of money to put toward our debt. As long as I did our taxes correctly, we might be able to pay off the rest of our debt by September, which would give us a year to save for Disney (We are hoping to go in Sept 2014)...saying prayers all my math was correct!!!

2015 ?? Undecided ?? POR? CBR? AoA? 2010 POP , 2006 Offsite - Sheraton Vistana, 2004 FortWilderness Campground, 2002 All Star Movies, 1999 Offsite 1990 Caribbean Beach Resort, 1986 Polynesian, 1982 Fort Wilderness Cabin
mum2simon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #1158
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryncess527 View Post
We had hoped to put an extra $600 towards our credit card this month, but we got derailed because our precious beagle boy got too sick and we had to put him down (which made for a very emotional week ) and those vet costs ate up the extra funds.

On the bright side, at least we HAD those extra funds and didn't have to put his vet costs on a CC like we would have in the past. It's only been 2 months but we can really see a positive affect from the proactive approach we are taking to budgeting.

And my husband is getting a promotion, so I'm getting slightly more optimistic about our chances to take a Disney trip in 2014.
Sorry to hear about your dog. That is the hardest thing. I went through that last year.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #1159
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
So I have been away from this board for a while and must admit fell off the wagon! I did get a new job and I am almost done with the 5 week training pay schedule and will be making some real $$$ after July 6! I was out of town for training and had to use the cc! Not happy about that! Also pricing a new front window, hubby broke it mowing the lawn and a new hot water tank before fall!!!! I have figured out a realistic budget and plan on sticking to it! If I get really intense I figure this time next year I might have one cc left and a new car payment. So I am happy for that, I will be debt dumping into 2014 so next year-new thread, I will be there!!!!
How do you like your new job? A year to have all your debt paid off is fantastic!! That is a good goal to motivate you!!

I went today and had my root canal. A whopping $1090. Ugh! Two weeks ago I had my dentist fill it because it was chipped but there was so much decay he said I would probably need the root canal. So after getting that done with the endodontist today, she said she only does a temporary filling so I have to go back to him in 6 weeks and have a permanent filling. So that will probably set me back another $120. I'm tired of paying all these dentists!! I think maybe I should've become one with the money they charge.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #1160
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

I really like my new job! It's commission sales so it will be a little hard to adjust to some great weeks and some not so great!!!! I like to feel like I'm not just treading water and I have been feeling like that for a long time. It will be great to pay off debt, have an emergency fund and be able to save for extra fun things without paying cc bills every month. I look at how much it will take to pay off in a year but then I will have all that "extra $ " to do with what I please!!!!! Yay!!!

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #1161
tgeorge0207
tgeorge

I am having one of those days were I feel like we will never get out of this black hole we are in. Yes we have been doing good paying off are credit cards 6 so far but to be honest we have 9 left...... :confused and that doesn't include other debt like medical bills and what not. All credit cards have relatively low balances anywhere from 300 to 1500 on them but still I feel like it will be forever before we are done. Just so sick of my money going to something that wasn't worth it. I wish when I was younger I would have been so much smarter. Lesson learned I will keep chugging away. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a better attitude about all of this. Thanks for listening some days can just be so hard to get through.

ASM DEC 2007 FIRST VISIT
POP FEB 2009 HONEYMOON
CBR SEPT 2009 YOUNGEST FIRST VISIT
POR JUNE 2010 FAMILY VACATION.
tgeorge0207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #1162
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryncess527 View Post
We had hoped to put an extra $600 towards our credit card this month, but we got derailed because our precious beagle boy got too sick and we had to put him down (which made for a very emotional week ) and those vet costs ate up the extra funds.

On the bright side, at least we HAD those extra funds and didn't have to put his vet costs on a CC like we would have in the past. It's only been 2 months but we can really see a positive affect from the proactive approach we are taking to budgeting.

And my husband is getting a promotion, so I'm getting slightly more optimistic about our chances to take a Disney trip in 2014.
Sorry about your beagle.

Like you said - at least you didn't have to put it in the CC. That's the same with us - used to put those "emerg" things on CC. Now we have the cash set aside for those things.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #1163
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeorge0207 View Post
I am having one of those days were I feel like we will never get out of this black hole we are in. Yes we have been doing good paying off are credit cards 6 so far but to be honest we have 9 left...... :confused and that doesn't include other debt like medical bills and what not. All credit cards have relatively low balances anywhere from 300 to 1500 on them but still I feel like it will be forever before we are done. Just so sick of my money going to something that wasn't worth it. I wish when I was younger I would have been so much smarter. Lesson learned I will keep chugging away. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a better attitude about all of this. Thanks for listening some days can just be so hard to get through.
Don't beat yourself up. You've got the positive attitude to do something about it now, and that's the first step. Re-read some of the stories on here if you need to feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel. There will be, and you will be in such a better place.

I know it's hard putting those payments on debt when you'd really like to use it now for something you want. But you will get to that place again.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #1164
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

So I thought you guys on the debt dumpers board would appreciate this ...

My sister, who is in her mid thirties, single, no kids, no assets, wants to change jobs. She's not happy in hers - doesn't make enough $$.

So, she told me she has a plan. She's gonna get a line of credit. I said for what? And she said so she can quit her job to look for another one, and in case she doesn't find one right away she can use it to live on.

Oh - and she has about 5000 in a vacation fund (no other savings) she's planning on using for a vacation later. That's not $$ for living on though - that's for vacation.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #1165
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
I totally failed at my budget last night - a girl at work who is higher up than me (and higher up the pay scale!!) wanted to go out for dinner, and despite me trying to discretely keep things cheap, she was ordering us oysters for the table, telling the waiter we'd like another set of cocktails before I could reply etc. I wish I'd been more assertive - by the end of the night when we split the bill it came to $120 for me plus my cab to the metro station to go home. $120 is the equivalent of my grocery budget for the whole month, what was I thinking?? I have a medical appointment I could really benefit from that ironically is $120 too, and I've been putting it off because i felt it was too expensive, and then I blow the same amount on dinner and drinks. I'm really beating myself up for it today
Yikes. That's a lot. And I agree with someone else who said once in a while you need to enjoy yourself, but if spending $120 on dinner isn't the way you would spend it to enjoy yourself, then yes, you need to be more assertive. In all honesty, your coworker sounds little rude - who orders stuff for the table without checking with someone else first?

Lesson learned - don't make eye contact with said co-worker anymore.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #1166
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-inspired View Post
I'm sorry! that must have been extremely hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
Sorry to hear about your dog. That is the hardest thing. I went through that last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
Sorry about your beagle.

Like you said - at least you didn't have to put it in the CC. That's the same with us - used to put those "emerg" things on CC. Now we have the cash set aside for those things.
Thank you all He was a very sweet boy who lived a long life, we were quite lucky to have him as long as we did.

Quote:

I know exactly how you feel. I have a tendency to go back and really beat myself up for bad decisions I made in the past. It's hard to think about how different my life might be now if I had made better choices with money when I was young and learned the values of budgeting at an earlier age.

But all we can do is face forward. Remember those lessons and trudge on dreaming of the day when our money is ours to spend and not promised to past mistakes. It's hard, but every time I see that overall debt total go down, it's a little pat on the back.
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #1167
AuroraRora
Princess

Everyones is doing so great - new jobs and snowballs all over the the place!

Pryncess, I'm so sorry about your pup, I can't imagine how hard that must've been. My cat is only 6 but I already worry about how bad it'll be when he goes. Pets truly are family! I'm glad you didn't have to accrue more debt on top of it though, and then have that remind you.

tgeorge, I SO have those days too! My debt was in the 6-figures just from student loans and CC's and when I finally got it under $100K recently, I was equal parts happy I'd hit that milestone, and sad that holy cow, I still had that much to go even after paying off a bunch. But I think of it like this - it really sucks now, but it's temporary and we WILL come out the other side. And when we're debt-free and can do whatever we like with all of our money, we'll understand the value of that even more and it'll be so freeing. AND, we'll know not to make stupid debt mistakes all over again in the future!

I had to open an investigation with BofA about my missing ATM cash - they temporarily credited by account pending the outcome. When I googled it, it seems that it usually easily resolved, but of course I found one instance where the person was never credited the money and I'm panicking that'll be me! On the upside, I got offered some extra hours at work today, which is going straight to be my snowball
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #1168
SpaceGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry you had such a bad day, wish I could tell you that there will not be more of the same down the road, you need to think about the SIX that you have paid off that really is GREAT. Six banana's for you....

It's the first of the month so you have had to take everything in, just focus on the next card that you are working on. Remember Baby Steps you didn't get yourself into this mess overnight so what if it takes a while to dig yourself out of this, you can do this.
SpaceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #1169
SpaceGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
Yikes. That's a lot. And I agree with someone else who said once in a while you need to enjoy yourself, but if spending $120 on dinner isn't the way you would spend it to enjoy yourself, then yes, you need to be more assertive. In all honesty, your coworker sounds little rude - who orders stuff for the table without checking with someone else first?

Lesson learned - don't make eye contact with said co-worker anymore.
I agree with the above statement. Yet from reading your post I don't really think you enjoyed yourself. You gave up to much for a few hours with this co-worker, not just the money but the way it made you feel.

How dare she order items for the table then split the bill with you. I might have told her sorry you ordered...you pay...... (I know you couldn't do that but still it gets my Blood a Boiling )
Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #1170
SpaceGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2simon View Post
As long as I did our taxes correctly, we might be able to pay off the rest of our debt by September, which would give us a year to save for Disney (We are hoping to go in Sept 2014)...saying prayers all my math was correct!!!
Great...here's Hoping you did everything correctly.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: