Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #1141
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwood82 View Post
Feeling very discouraged. We were doing so good on paying stuff off and then I lost my job. Thank god I was only out of work a week before I found another one but just that weeks loss if income is really putting a strain on us. I know we will get back on track but I am just feeling very defeated right now.
Sorry to hear about your job. Even though it has put a damper on things for that week of lost income, the bright side is you were able to get another job within a week! You should be proud of that!! You will get back on track, it may just take a few weeks.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #1142
kim532
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwood82 View Post
Feeling very discouraged. We were doing so good on paying stuff off and then I lost my job. Thank god I was only out of work a week before I found another one but just that weeks loss if income is really putting a strain on us. I know we will get back on track but I am just feeling very defeated right now.
So sorry to hear about your set-back. Use it as motivation to keep pushing forward to a point were the debt is gone and the emergency fund is fully saved.

I know it is still devastating.

Kim

AKV Owner! (me) (DH - Ryan) (DS - Evan 7) (DS - Joel 6)
kim532 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #1143
AuroraRora
Princess

SO sorry to hear about your job arwood!! I completely understand what it's like to lose a week's income, it's so tough when it was unplanned and the budget is still just as high as before. I'm so glad you found somewhere else so quickly though, that's great! Don't get discouraged, it sounds like you're doing really well and you'll be back on top of things in no time!

I totally failed at my budget last night - a girl at work who is higher up than me (and higher up the pay scale!!) wanted to go out for dinner, and despite me trying to discretely keep things cheap, she was ordering us oysters for the table, telling the waiter we'd like another set of cocktails before I could reply etc. I wish I'd been more assertive - by the end of the night when we split the bill it came to $120 for me plus my cab to the metro station to go home. $120 is the equivalent of my grocery budget for the whole month, what was I thinking?? I have a medical appointment I could really benefit from that ironically is $120 too, and I've been putting it off because i felt it was too expensive, and then I blow the same amount on dinner and drinks. I'm really beating myself up for it today
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #1144
Eureka
DIS Veteran

First week back to work (freelance) after a vacation and boy, is that tough. I give myself a minimum dollar amount I want to have written by week's end. Tomorrow I have things going on with the kids so won't be working. Got a project today that not only had me meet my goal, but I exceeded by 1/3 too! With the nature of freelancing, it's possible I won't have any work next week, so I always have to take it when I can get it. Happy because we still have a few medical payments left to make, our Disney balance is due next week and we used the credit card at the beach.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #1145
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
SO sorry to hear about your job arwood!! I completely understand what it's like to lose a week's income, it's so tough when it was unplanned and the budget is still just as high as before. I'm so glad you found somewhere else so quickly though, that's great! Don't get discouraged, it sounds like you're doing really well and you'll be back on top of things in no time!

I totally failed at my budget last night - a girl at work who is higher up than me (and higher up the pay scale!!) wanted to go out for dinner, and despite me trying to discretely keep things cheap, she was ordering us oysters for the table, telling the waiter we'd like another set of cocktails before I could reply etc. I wish I'd been more assertive - by the end of the night when we split the bill it came to $120 for me plus my cab to the metro station to go home. $120 is the equivalent of my grocery budget for the whole month, what was I thinking?? I have a medical appointment I could really benefit from that ironically is $120 too, and I've been putting it off because i felt it was too expensive, and then I blow the same amount on dinner and drinks. I'm really beating myself up for it today
Wow, that place must've been expensive! But you know what, everyone deserves a break and should have fun and enjoy time out! Even if it meant blowing the budget a little!
My budget will be blown out of the water Monday when I go to the dentist!
The funniest thing did happen tonight that made me think of this board! I've been talking to this man and were getting to know each other and he asked if I had a car payment. I said no, I'm debt free except for my mortgage. He asked if I was rich and seemed shocked!! LOL!! If he only knew the debt I've been in! He is older than I am so I guess that's why he was surprised!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #1146
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Bumping thread
Old 06-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #1147
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
The funniest thing did happen tonight that made me think of this board! I've been talking to this man and were getting to know each other and he asked if I had a car payment. I said no, I'm debt free except for my mortgage. He asked if I was rich and seemed shocked!! LOL!! If he only knew the debt I've been in! He is older than I am so I guess that's why he was surprised!
That's so great!!

Today I took my consulting earnings from this week to the bank to deposit it at the ATM, and get this - JUST as I hit the "complete deposit" button, the ATM broke down and went out of service. I had another deposit to make so I got back in line for a new ATM and checked my balance when I was done, and the cash from the first deposit hadn't gone into my account. Now it's just floating around ATMville ugh. I used to work for BofA so I know how it's fixed and it's not complicated, just time consuming while they pull the cash out the ATM and count it to find the difference compared to the computer system. But I'm mad that now I have to go in and sort it out, not to mention I was looking forward to coming home and making a debt payment
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #1148
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
That's so great!!

Today I took my consulting earnings from this week to the bank to deposit it at the ATM, and get this - JUST as I hit the "complete deposit" button, the ATM broke down and went out of service. I had another deposit to make so I got back in line for a new ATM and checked my balance when I was done, and the cash from the first deposit hadn't gone into my account. Now it's just floating around ATMville ugh. I used to work for BofA so I know how it's fixed and it's not complicated, just time consuming while they pull the cash out the ATM and count it to find the difference compared to the computer system. But I'm mad that now I have to go in and sort it out, not to mention I was looking forward to coming home and making a debt payment
What luck you are having!!! My goodness! I have never done an ATM deposit before. I've always been nervous about it breaking
Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #1149
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1
I have never done an ATM deposit before. I've always been nervous about it breaking
Now you know - that's a legitimate fear! I do ATM deposits all the time but I've never had an issue before, I guess my good luck finally ran out with that!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
Old 06-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #1150
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

I used to do ATM deposits way back when it was first possible. I stopped doing it because it was a PITA to fill out the long string of #s on the envelope. It was easier to just wait til the next day when the bank was open. I did just notice yesterday our ATM said "no more envelopes" and who knows how long it's been that way because I never really looked before but I think we're pretty lucky. Our bank is open til 8 weekdays, 6pm Saturdays and noon-4 on Sundays so it's rare that I would ever have a need to be depositing later at night.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #1151
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2
I used to do ATM deposits way back when it was first possible. I stopped doing it because it was a PITA to fill out the long string of #s on the envelope. It was easier to just wait til the next day when the bank was open. I did just notice yesterday our ATM said "no more envelopes" and who knows how long it's been that way because I never really looked before but I think we're pretty lucky. Our bank is open til 8 weekdays, 6pm Saturdays and noon-4 on Sundays so it's rare that I would ever have a need to be depositing later at night.
^ That sounds like TD? As far as I know, they're the only ones still phasing out the envelopes, BofA and Chase have been envelope-free for years. I mostly just use the ATM deposits as a means for avoiding standing in line for the teller (except on Monday I'll be making up that time by waiting while they count up a whole ATM lol!)
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
Old 07-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #1152
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Back on Track

So I have been away from this board for a while and must admit fell off the wagon! I did get a new job and I am almost done with the 5 week training pay schedule and will be making some real $$$ after July 6! I was out of town for training and had to use the cc! Not happy about that! Also pricing a new front window, hubby broke it mowing the lawn and a new hot water tank before fall!!!! I have figured out a realistic budget and plan on sticking to it! If I get really intense I figure this time next year I might have one cc left and a new car payment. So I am happy for that, I will be debt dumping into 2014 so next year-new thread, I will be there!!!!

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #1153
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
So I have been away from this board for a while and must admit fell off the wagon! I did get a new job and I am almost done with the 5 week training pay schedule and will be making some real $$$ after July 6! I was out of town for training and had to use the cc! Not happy about that! Also pricing a new front window, hubby broke it mowing the lawn and a new hot water tank before fall!!!! I have figured out a realistic budget and plan on sticking to it! If I get really intense I figure this time next year I might have one cc left and a new car payment. So I am happy for that, I will be debt dumping into 2014 so next year-new thread, I will be there!!!!

I will be right there with you in 2014 on the Debt Dumpers Board. But we BOTH with be in a better place than we were are the beginning of this year.
Doodlebug939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #1154
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

We had hoped to put an extra $600 towards our credit card this month, but we got derailed because our precious beagle boy got too sick and we had to put him down (which made for a very emotional week ) and those vet costs ate up the extra funds.

On the bright side, at least we HAD those extra funds and didn't have to put his vet costs on a CC like we would have in the past. It's only been 2 months but we can really see a positive affect from the proactive approach we are taking to budgeting.

And my husband is getting a promotion, so I'm getting slightly more optimistic about our chances to take a Disney trip in 2014.
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #1155
disney-inspired

Disney on the brain 24/7/365!
*grumble* stupid cm *grumble*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryncess527 View Post
We had hoped to put an extra $600 towards our credit card this month, but we got derailed because our precious beagle boy got too sick and we had to put him down (which made for a very emotional week ) and those vet costs ate up the extra funds.

On the bright side, at least we HAD those extra funds and didn't have to put his vet costs on a CC like we would have in the past. It's only been 2 months but we can really see a positive affect from the proactive approach we are taking to budgeting.

And my husband is getting a promotion, so I'm getting slightly more optimistic about our chances to take a Disney trip in 2014.
I'm sorry! that must have been extremely hard.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: