Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #1111
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Nope, this is just the root canal, no crown. I am going to try to hold off for atleast another week. It's not an unbearable pain yet, just some discomfort.
Guess this means that I will have to push up the other appts that I have made with him. I just hate that fact that dental work is so expensive!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #1112
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Well I'm about to be VERY unpopular at my house. I'm canceling directv & home phone. I will up our dsl speed to the max again. That way we can use streaming. That's gonna put about $75/month back into the snowball.

Tuesday is "pizza night" for us because of Scout meeting. We usually spend $25-30 for that. Does anyone have any ideas for that? I need something quick & probably still pizza. I can't get frozen pizza for much less than what I already spend.
I did this last August. My kids were NOT happy campers. But I told them we need to save money and this is a good way. It took less than a month and the were totally fine. We watch Hulu and Netflix. We do miss some TV shows, but I will tell you to tell your kids what I told mine, "We can't have everything."

Pizza Hutt here has a 'big box" for $20. Two pizzas, bread sticks and a side. Maybe you can do that for scout night.

ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #1113
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
Nope, this is just the root canal, no crown. I am going to try to hold off for atleast another week. It's not an unbearable pain yet, just some discomfort.
Guess this means that I will have to push up the other appts that I have made with him. I just hate that fact that dental work is so expensive!
I feel your pain! Dental work is SO expensive. I had two crowns done last year and after "insurance" I paid almost $1000. It's just crazy. My teeth still hurt when I eat sweets. So I don't eat them instead of going back to see what is wrong. lol

ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #1114
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
I had what I thought was a root canal done last year on one tooth only to find out during the procedure that there was too much decay and I needed a crown instead. Talk about a price increase!!!!! But my dentist was great about us making payments because it wasn't expected.

It is so hard because I really like our dentist but I too feel that I am in the principals office when I go.
Doodlebug939 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #1115
dansamy
DIS Veteran

I'm grateful to have strong teeth! My gums though... I'll probably loose perfectly good teeth & end up in dentures just from receding gum tissue. I don't have any gum disease. Just gums that have receded quite early compared to my age.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #1116
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug939 View Post
I had what I thought was a root canal done last year on one tooth only to find out during the procedure that there was too much decay and I needed a crown instead. Talk about a price increase!!!!! But my dentist was great about us making payments because it wasn't expected.

It is so hard because I really like our dentist but I too feel that I am in the principals office when I go.
I know, I just sat there and stared straight ahead when he was lecturing me I nodded and said yes, I know. I need to take better care of my teeth.
I do have crappy teeth, and my goal was to go in next month for the full x-ray set and put a plan together to get everything in order. However, since it seems I will be needing a root canal that will have to be pushed off a little longer.
Part of me wishes I would've just kept my broken tooth
Old 06-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #1117
jenny105
DIS Veteran

All this talk about dental work lol. I've never had my wisdown teeth pulled. They're out, not impacted, and don't bother me in the least. But my dentist insists I have them pulled because they're hard to clean and could cause problems in the future. I know my insurance won't cover the full amount. I don't want to add to more debt because of my teeth! They're perfectly fine!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #1118
xCourxCorex
DIS Cast Member
You can't question my love for brownies!!

Add me into the dental drama!! I had a root canal done over 4 years ago, no crown. Never needed it according to my then dentist, and then two others I saw after never mentioned getting one. This year I switched to a new place because I finally had insurance through my employer. I had a bunch of fillings done in December, 4 wisdom teeth pulled in January and then just last week went for a six month cleaning now all of a sudden they say I NEED a crown it's starting to chip away at the root canal site blah blah blah. With my "current" insurance (through the job I left last week) it's cost $350 for a crown... Not sure when my coverage ends (I will get paid Friday from my hours worked last week so I'd imagine another week maybe?) new job offers dental; coverage begins July 1st but would only cover 50% for crowns.... But I'm not even sure I need one! No other dentist has said this before.. Wondering if I actually need it or they're trying to make a buck. Ugh and I need to figure it out quick!
xCourxCorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #1119
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105
All this talk about dental work lol. I've never had my wisdown teeth pulled. They're out, not impacted, and don't bother me in the least. But my dentist insists I have them pulled because they're hard to clean and could cause problems in the future. I know my insurance won't cover the full amount. I don't want to add to more debt because of my teeth! They're perfectly fine!
That's another thing. My wisdom teeth are below my gum line. I've never cut them. I'm 38. My dentist said we'll leave them where they are unless they start to cause trouble. I wouldn't have yours pulled unless they start causing trouble.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #1120
honeybunches
That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true

Quote:
Well I'm about to be VERY unpopular at my house. I'm canceling directv & home phone. I will up our dsl speed to the max again. That way we can use streaming. That's gonna put about $75/month back into the snowball.

Tuesday is "pizza night" for us because of Scout meeting. We usually spend $25-30 for that. Does anyone have any ideas for that? I need something quick & probably still pizza. I can't get frozen pizza for much less than what I already spend.
I see that Little Caesars was already mentioned. What about Papa Murphy's? They always have a good deal going on and their pizzas are huge.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #1121
honeybunches
That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true

Quote:
Nope, no Aldi either. I think my best option is probably eliminating the pricier options at little caesars & sticking to the cheese & pepperoni cheapos.
When we get Little Caesars we ask them to sprinkle the crazy bread garlic on the pizza crust. It really makes it taste awesome, and I love that its only $5!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #1122
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
That's another thing. My wisdom teeth are below my gum line. I've never cut them. I'm 38. My dentist said we'll leave them where they are unless they start to cause trouble. I wouldn't have yours pulled unless they start causing trouble.
I never heard of a root canal not needing a cap. I do not understand why dental insurance only pays 50%. Mine will not pay for anesthesia. How in the world are you suppose to have dental work done
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #1123
angierae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post

I never heard of a root canal not needing a cap. I do not understand why dental insurance only pays 50%. Mine will not pay for anesthesia. How in the world are you suppose to have dental work done
I had a root canal on a front tooth that did not need a cap.

My insurance would have covered injections/gas for wisdom tooth removal but I paid extra for the twilight sleep sedation because they were impacted and only slightly erupted. I had no desire to be awake for that.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #1124
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angierae View Post
I had a root canal on a front tooth that did not need a cap.

My insurance would have covered injections/gas for wisdom tooth removal but I paid extra for the twilight sleep sedation because they were impacted and only slightly erupted. I had no desire to be awake for that.
I've had 2 root canals so far. The first was on my front tooth and they built the tooth back up with filling and the other was on the side of my mouth with they built up with a filling. This one here he already took the cavity out and filled it but told me if it bothered me I would definitely need a root canal. The pain really isn't that bad right now, so I decided to see how it feels today and if it is consistent then I am going to schedule it and get it over with. Part of me thinks I should just have the tooth pulled and save some money - it's all the way in the back anyways.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #1125
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
Add me to the never know root canal did not need a crown. The crown is to strengthen the tooth and keep it from breaking apart.
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: