Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #1051
xCourxCorex
DIS Cast Member
You can't question my love for brownies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
I've been thinking about extra income. My hospital has pretty much nixed all overtime. I think I'll try some of the urgent care clinics to see if they need a prn nurse. I'm also going to check with home health care providers.
Check out agencies in your area, they may have prn positions or a several week assignment in a local facility you could do. Or home health/private duty?

August 2014~ Disneyland Half

??? January 2015 Marathon Weekend
xCourxCorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #1052
SpaceGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
I was stressing because I have a trip planned to WDW in October, but I feel like how can I justify spending $$$ on a vacation (particularly when I've been twice this year already!) when I'm supposed to be debt-intense. .
Going on a vacation while you're trying to pay down/off debt....I know many posters are very opinionated about this subject with their post....I feel that when you have a plan and have been working on specific goals by working extra hours, cutting down expenses, then add stress from work to the equation, you can get burnt out.

Each family/person has different situations (Example if you were unemployed or if you would be adding more debt)

You already have your tickets paid for, you're not stay at a Deluxe Resort, you have been planning this for some time. I feel that you realize your obligations and while no trip to Disney is inexpensive you can budget for the trip and have most of it paid for before you ever leave home.

So two goals: Working on that student loan and having as much of your trip paid for before October.

No new debt added.

Last edited by SpaceGirl; 06-19-2013 at 01:33 AM.
SpaceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #1053
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post

I'm 99% sure its unattainable, but I'm gonna go for it anyway! The worst that can happen is that I get a lot paid off but don't quite meet my target, a win-win for my debt either way
Go for it! Everyone has their priorities. Even if you put extra money on a debt while saving for Disney, you are still bringing it down. If you want to go to Disney, go. I really want to go this year (even though we went last year..lol ) but my house is my priority. Next year though!!

ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #1054
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

Alright had to post an update. I have been working on paying off one bill for the last few months. I often felt that I was just kind of spinning my wheels and not really getting very far. Well I just got my credit card statement and I was so excited to see the balance going down. Since May 17th I have paid down $605.00 toward my debt on that card. I know to some it sounds like a lot and to others it is probably drops in the bucket. I now have a balance on the card of $874.00. I am finally out of the 1,000 numbers on this card. My goal is to have the card paid off by August 2nd. It is a lofty goal with summer here and the kids home. But I remind myself to just take one week at a time. I feel that I was able to apply this much by not doing as much mindless shopping that I have done in the past. And I know that in August I have to buy school clothes (yuck) and if (no when) I get this card paid off then I can use cash which will be liberating and then move the next card at the end of August. (YAY me!)

On another note, I feel that as I have gained some sense of control over my finances that I have also gained some control over my weight and self esteem. I have taken back the power that I had once given to debt and weight I had gotten into a rut and just felt that there was no way out. It is baby steps and not really a big weight loss on any level but I feel more in control in my exercise and eating. Amazing how it all works hand in hand.
Doodlebug939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #1055
SpaceGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug939 View Post

On another note, I feel that as I have gained some sense of control over my finances that I have also gained some control over my weight and self esteem. I have taken back the power that I had once given to debt and weight I had gotten into a rut and just felt that there was no way out. It is baby steps and not really a big weight loss on any level but I feel more in control in my exercise and eating. Amazing how it all works hand in hand.

I agree with your statement about self esteem and DEBT. It's hard to enjoy life when you know you have debt and just never see an end to it.

This effects so many other things in our lives health, weight, environment and personal relationships.

I know you can accomplish all your goals...Why? Because you have doing it for over 6 months now, even more important You know you can accomplish them.

Weight and Debt...you don't get either of then overnight, and you can't get rid of them overnight.
SpaceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #1056
AuroraRora
Princess

Good job Doodlebug!!! It sounds like you're making awesome progress on your debt I completely understand what you mean about debt affecting self esteem too - I've been trying to get to the gym more and the combo of getting fit and getting my finances in better shape (no pun intended ) makes me feel a bit like I'm turning my life around. I'm trying to work hard to boost my work contracts to up my income because of my debts too, so it feels like things are changing for the better

I was considering pet insurance as my cat was sick twice at the beginning of the year ($800 in bills, thanks kitty!) but now I'm looking into it, I'm not even sure it's a good idea It would take 3 or more trips for the pet insurance to be cheaper than just paying out of pocket, due to the deductible, monthly costs and then it's mandatory you take your pet to the vet annually for a check-up which is a $250 vet visit that isn't covered. My cat gets extreme anxiety at the vet, to the point where his vet recommended I only bring him in tri-yearly if he's otherwise in good health. The only reason he was sick this year was due to me taking in some foster kittens, but I'm not doing that now and he's indoor only and very healthy. I think I might just put the $30/month into my debt snowball instead, and IF he did ever get sick I could take the money out of the snowball to cover it. I feel like I'd rather the money went to the debt in the meantime, rather than going to the pet insurance regardless of if we use it.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1057
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Alright had to post an update. I have been working on paying off one bill for the last few months. I often felt that I was just kind of spinning my wheels and not really getting very far. Well I just got my credit card statement and I was so excited to see the balance going down. Since May 17th I have paid down $605.00 toward my debt on that card. I know to some it sounds like a lot and to others it is probably drops in the bucket. I now have a balance on the card of $874.00. I am finally out of the 1,000 numbers on this card. My goal is to have the card paid off by August 2nd. It is a lofty goal with summer here and the kids home. But I remind myself to just take one week at a time. I feel that I was able to apply this much by not doing as much mindless shopping that I have done in the past. And I know that in August I have to buy school clothes (yuck) and if (no when) I get this card paid off then I can use cash which will be liberating and then move the next card at the end of August. (YAY me!)

way to go!! I never really felt like progress was made until I was under the $1k mark. I don't know what it is about that mark, but loved it once I got under it!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #1058
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great job no your CC! I agree. My finances always seem to be linked to my eating habits. Whan I am in control of my money, I don't stress eat. Debt control is power.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #1059
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys View Post
Great job no your CC! I agree. My finances always seem to be linked to my eating habits. Whan I am in control of my money, I don't stress eat. Debt control is power.
You are definitely in control of your finances!! Look at that ticker with 75% saved for your down payment I am so happy for you!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #1060
disney-inspired

Disney on the brain 24/7/365!
*grumble* stupid cm *grumble*

Hello, I'm a little late to the game for 2013 but what counts is I'm here right?!

I accumulated a LOT of CC debt, starting when I could first get a CC at 18yo (now 24, almost 25) and have been a slave to debt since.

I was unemployed from Jan to March, thank God unemployment kicked in quick and was enough to cover my bills and even put a little aside.

I started my current (contract) job in March and have since been renewed until Sept, when I hope to be renewed again for the full 18 months allowed.

I had 4 credit cards, 3 maxed out and one close to it
So far I've paid off one and am now snowballing to the next. Thankfully I get paid every week.

I'm currently 'in school' to postpone my student loans until I can get a permanent, full-time job.
I have a Disney trip planned for Sept 2014. So in addition to paying toward my debt each week, I am also saving some for that.

disney-inspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #1061
dansamy
DIS Veteran

I need to sit down & do my budget. My son is going to be my accountability partner since my dh is just not up to it right now. I guess our budget committee meeting will consist of me, dh & ds.

I just went through & paid on each card that we have. Some of them I had not been able to make a payment on since April. I guess I will look at which ones hit me with penalty rates & slay those dragons first.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:58 AM   #1062
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-inspired View Post
Hello, I'm a little late to the game for 2013 but what counts is I'm here right?!

I accumulated a LOT of CC debt, starting when I could first get a CC at 18yo (now 24, almost 25) and have been a slave to debt since.

I was unemployed from Jan to March, thank God unemployment kicked in quick and was enough to cover my bills and even put a little aside.

I started my current (contract) job in March and have since been renewed until Sept, when I hope to be renewed again for the full 18 months allowed.

I had 4 credit cards, 3 maxed out and one close to it
So far I've paid off one and am now snowballing to the next. Thankfully I get paid every week.

I'm currently 'in school' to postpone my student loans until I can get a permanent, full-time job.
I have a Disney trip planned for Sept 2014. So in addition to paying toward my debt each week, I am also saving some for that.
One CC down! That's great. Just continue to snowball and it will happen.

Quote:
I need to sit down & do my budget. My son is going to be my accountability partner since my dh is just not up to it right now. I guess our budget committee meeting will consist of me, dh & ds.

I just went through & paid on each card that we have. Some of them I had not been able to make a payment on since April. I guess I will look at which ones hit me with penalty rates & slay those dragons first.
I started involving my oldest with my budget. I do not want her to learn the hard way like I did on budgeting. They can only teach you so much in the school finance classes. She was shocked at how much time it takes to reconcile a bank statement. And that just because I had $1,000 in the account, after internet, electric, gas, groceries, household stuff, etc, it goes down fast! This past month was just her helping me find receipts. Next month she will be helping me with the Quicken program and actually doing the work. This weekend I am having her input the receipts into my Quicken account.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #1063
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
You are definitely in control of your finances!! Look at that ticker with 75% saved for your down payment I am so happy for you!
I know - I love checking out her ticker! Way to go.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #1064
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemys View Post

I started involving my oldest with my budget. I do not want her to learn the hard way like I did on budgeting. They can only teach you so much in the school finance classes. She was shocked at how much time it takes to reconcile a bank statement. And that just because I had $1,000 in the account, after internet, electric, gas, groceries, household stuff, etc, it goes down fast! This past month was just her helping me find receipts. Next month she will be helping me with the Quicken program and actually doing the work. This weekend I am having her input the receipts into my Quicken account.
I really need to do that with my dd. She's 12 and is starting to think she's a diva - wanting starbucks, expensive icecream from a certain place, etc. She does have her own money (she helps clean at a friend's office once a week) and I do make her put some in savings, but I think if she saw on paper how much she's spending on stupid things she will think twice.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #1065
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That is great that you are starting to figure out where you stand. I can honestly tell you that it is very humbling and a little sickening.

However, I reminded myself that it was never going to get any worse than that moment. With each payment it does get better. Not perfect but better. I can honestly tell you that it has taken me about 5-6 months to feel that I have gained some control over debt. Don't get me wrong I still have a way to go but I am much better off than I was in January when we started.

There are different ways to tackle your debt so it is important to see what works for you. I was not behind on debt just had a lot of it. So what I did was to pick one debt that was small (Under a few hundred) and paid minimums on everything else and applied any extra on that bill until it was paid off. Paying off that small debt was a small step in the right direction. If you want pointers or find yourself stuck don't hesitate to ask on here for opinions. I have found some really valuable encouragement and help on this board. Looking forward to reading all about your success.
Doodlebug939 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: