Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #991
AuroraRora
Princess

My extra student loan payment cleared today (finally - for some reason while most banks clear payments in a day or two, Discover Student Loans takes up to 7 days ugh). My balance this time last month was $6500 and now its $1400 I think that'll be the last time I'm able to make a big payment for a while though, it's back to the Snowball for me. But I keep opening my Account Info page just to see the balance and motivate myself
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #992
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
My extra student loan payment cleared today (finally - for some reason while most banks clear payments in a day or two, Discover Student Loans takes up to 7 days ugh). My balance this time last month was $6500 and now its $1400 I think that'll be the last time I'm able to make a big payment for a while though, it's back to the Snowball for me. But I keep opening my Account Info page just to see the balance and motivate myself

Way to go!! I know you must feel incredible to look at the student loan amount and see $1400!! You should be proud of yourself!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #993
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyisinphilly View Post
This is going to seem like an obvious question, but when was the last time you raised your grocery budget? I know we are trying to save money and reduce debt, but the cost of goods keeps rising. For the longest time, we were always over budget in the grocery department despite my best efforts. When I considered the fact that I way trying to buy groceries with my budget from 5 years ago it made sense. Groceries have gone up let's say 15% and taxes have gone up.

Wouldn't it be better to raise the budget to stop the overage? That overage has to come from someplace. Which means something else is getting shorted or raising debt in a different category.

I actually just budget it out in my head. I hate the fact that if I want healthy chips I have to pay $4 per bag, or if I want healthy snacks I have to pay $4-$5 for a box of something vs the unhealthy discount brands I could get! I guess if I consider what I bring in monthly, 15% of my pay goes to food. So I guess that's not bad. I never looked at it that way. And luckily I live in Delaware so I have no taxes. I love that!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #994
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyisinphilly View Post
This is going to seem like an obvious question, but when was the last time you raised your grocery budget? I know we are trying to save money and reduce debt, but the cost of goods keeps rising. For the longest time, we were always over budget in the grocery department despite my best efforts. When I considered the fact that I way trying to buy groceries with my budget from 5 years ago it made sense. Groceries have gone up let's say 15% and taxes have gone up.

Wouldn't it be better to raise the budget to stop the overage? That overage has to come from someplace. Which means something else is getting shorted or raising debt in a different category.
Agreed. If you continually go over and have tried everything else to cut corners, you need to raise your grocery budget. It's not like you are spending more money by doing so since you are spending anyway. Instead you are planning for that overage and not going into debt or stealing from another category. Well, you'll have to lower something to make it work. You are just changing things on paper to match what you do in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
I actually just budget it out in my head. I hate the fact that if I want healthy chips I have to pay $4 per bag, or if I want healthy snacks I have to pay $4-$5 for a box of something vs the unhealthy discount brands I could get! I guess if I consider what I bring in monthly, 15% of my pay goes to food. So I guess that's not bad. I never looked at it that way. And luckily I live in Delaware so I have no taxes. I love that!
I highly recommend doing a budget on paper or screen. It really helps to see a snapshot of your financial standing. It is hard the first time, and takes about three months to get it right, but it is so so so helpful to know exactly where you stand and to decide at the beginning of the month how much you will spend in each category. It helps to know when making choices. Hmm, if I buy this extra ____, how will it affect my bank account?

Also, don't feel bad about buying healthy food. If it is worth the value, do it. Just make sure they are actually healthy and worth the cost and not some gimmick playing on a current fad. Marketers are paid a lot to do what they do, so be sure to read the labels and shop around (how about raw, natural food from farmer's markets instead of healthy chips which are still processed?). Either way, know what you are sacrificing for it and if you think it's a good decision, then it is. There's no right or wrong answer, just personal preferences.

Last edited by ArielSparrow; 06-07-2013 at 03:28 PM.
ArielSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #995
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielSparrow View Post

I highly recommend doing a budget on paper or screen. It really helps to see a snapshot of your financial standing. It is hard the first time, and takes about three months to get it right, but it is so so so helpful to know exactly where you stand and to decide at the beginning of the month how much you will spend in each category. It helps to know when making choices. Hmm, if I buy this extra ____, how will it affect my bank account?

Ditto this. My husband and I started using budget software a few months ago and it has really revolutionized how we think - and talk to each other - about money. We use YNAB, I highly recommend it. It takes some getting used to, but I can't express how helpful it has been
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #996
gracie1
DIS Veteran

I actually have nothing else that I budget for, so I just buy the groceries that I need. There is a certain amount I set aside in my savings each month, and a certain amount I keep in my checking. So as long as I do not go over the amount in my checking, I feel pretty good about that.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #997
tgeorge0207
tgeorge

It has been awhile since I have posted we have had our ups and downs with dumping this debit or ours. This last Friday I was able to pay off 2 credit cards and next pay day which will be the 21st I will pay off 2 more. We are really cracking down which is nice. I can't wait to have them all paid off sad to say we have paid off 6 so far and have 9 to go! Trying to look at the good side. However, all I see is the money we could have used to go back to DISNEY

ASM DEC 2007 FIRST VISIT
POP FEB 2009 HONEYMOON
CBR SEPT 2009 YOUNGEST FIRST VISIT
POR JUNE 2010 FAMILY VACATION.
tgeorge0207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #998
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeorge0207
It has been awhile since I have posted we have had our ups and downs with dumping this debit or ours. This last Friday I was able to pay off 2 credit cards and next pay day which will be the 21st I will pay off 2 more. We are really cracking down which is nice. I can't wait to have them all paid off sad to say we have paid off 6 so far and have 9 to go! Trying to look at the good side. However, all I see is the money we could have used to go back to DISNEY
That's awesome progress, after the next two paid off on the 21st you'll be almost half way there!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #999
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeorge0207 View Post
Way to go on getting 6 cards paid off! You should be very proud of yourself!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #1000
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeorge0207 View Post
It is good to hear that a fellow Diser is able to stay on target to reach their goals. I had a lot of success at the beginning of the year (smaller debts) so I got really motivated to continue. Recently I have been applying money each week to one bill to get it paid off. It has gottne pretty routine and boring with none of the rush.

So today I looked online to see what my balance is which is down to 1,011. I know most people dont talk specifics and I respect the boundaries. I know that this Friday I am paying another 150 so it felt pretty exciting to see the number would be under 1,000 after Friday. It gave me a little rush to be honest. And if everything goes right (I am determined to make it) then we should have it paid off by the end of July. That allows us to put $600 a month (what we have been applying to tackle the debt) to another bill. Now that is exciting.
Doodlebug939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #1001
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug939
So today I looked online to see what my balance is which is down to 1,011. I know most people dont talk specifics and I respect the boundaries. I know that this Friday I am paying another 150 so it felt pretty exciting to see the number would be under 1,000 after Friday. It gave me a little rush to be honest. And if everything goes right (I am determined to make it) then we should have it paid off by the end of July. That allows us to put $600 a month (what we have been applying to tackle the debt) to another bill. Now that is exciting.
Awesome job!! That's so great that you'll have so much extra ton put towards your next debt too - that's really motivating to hear about you doing so well!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #1002
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila

Snowballing it like that is a really effective method. The momentum is encouraging. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #1003
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielSparrow View Post
Snowballing it like that is a really effective method. The momentum is encouraging. Keep up the good work!
I can tell you from experience that snowballing does really help with the "emotional" side of paying down debt for me. It is that way because I feel that I have accomplished something. Sometimes it is those "dry" months that you are paying off debt but don't get the reward of the payoff just yet that gets a big discouraging. Just keep swimming
Doodlebug939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #1004
bgenew1
Mouseketeer

Hi. I just found this thread and want to Dump the Debt!

My question is once you do pay off the credit cards do you close them? I have heard various things about whether or not this hurts your credit score.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #1005
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgenew1 View Post
Hi. I just found this thread and want to Dump the Debt!

My question is once you do pay off the credit cards do you close them? I have heard various things about whether or not this hurts your credit score.

Thanks!
I use a site called creditkarma.com to help me decide. You can enter what if scenarios and it predicts how that will affect your score based on your specific circumstances. And it's free!
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: