Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #976
Eureka
DIS Veteran

Feeling a little discouraged today. Yesterday, I got a good check in (I freelance) and put aside for vacation, credit cards (we have a little bit on there that I'd like to be done with this summer), an upcoming hair appointment and for our niece's graduation gift. Updated our "debt chart" of our mortgage and car loan balances as well as our current savings account balance. Felt good about everything.

Today, I get a $700 bill for the anesthesia from a procedure I had done in March. This is after insurance. I had already paid the doctor's office and lab bills off a couple months ago. Thought I was done. Luckily, the billing office will let me do installments, but it's going to be $200/month through Sept (well, that last one is a half-payment, but still). Suddenly, I don't feel so great about everything anymore. This is going to slow down our plan. I am taking off a week for our first of two summer vacations soon, and when I don't work, I don't get paid. So, I will try to get a lot done the rest of this week and next, I guess. It will all be fine but mostly, I am just bummed.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #977
zy144622
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
Feeling a little discouraged today. Yesterday, I got a good check in (I freelance) and put aside for vacation, credit cards (we have a little bit on there that I'd like to be done with this summer), an upcoming hair appointment and for our niece's graduation gift. Updated our "debt chart" of our mortgage and car loan balances as well as our current savings account balance. Felt good about everything.

Today, I get a $700 bill for the anesthesia from a procedure I had done in March. This is after insurance. I had already paid the doctor's office and lab bills off a couple months ago. Thought I was done. Luckily, the billing office will let me do installments, but it's going to be $200/month through Sept (well, that last one is a half-payment, but still). Suddenly, I don't feel so great about everything anymore. This is going to slow down our plan. I am taking off a week for our first of two summer vacations soon, and when I don't work, I don't get paid. So, I will try to get a lot done the rest of this week and next, I guess. It will all be fine but mostly, I am just bummed.
Your working in the right direction. Enjoy your vacations and be proud you saved for them. You'll be past this hiccup in no time.
zy144622 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #978
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post

I'm really sorry you're having to deal with that! It's great you had the money available from your check to cover everything, but it still sucks when you had another plans for it. It's so disappointing when you feel like you're getting ahead and then a bill comes through that sucks it up. I'm always terrified of that happening and I've found that sometimes I'll hoard money I should be putting towards my debt, just in case. I work independently too.

I've been hacking away at my smallest student loan - it was $6500 and I put a check from work plus my tax refund that I've kept from April towards it, which totalled $2400. That cleared the other day and I felt really motivated so I took a bonus I got from work, plus what I felt comfortable taking out of my checking account, and paid another $2750 towards it today. When that clears, my balance will only be $1400 Apparently my parents want to give me $500 for my birthday which will make it $900 and then I'm going to be obsessed with getting that paid off!!

My goal was to pay this one off by the end of Summer and then get through a good chunk of my $14K student loan by the end of the year. Now, I think I might be done with this one by the end of the month I'm instead hoping to be done with my $14K one by the end of Fall.
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #979
Eureka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
I'm really sorry you're having to deal with that! It's great you had the money available from your check to cover everything, but it still sucks when you had another plans for it. It's so disappointing when you feel like you're getting ahead and then a bill comes through that sucks it up. I'm always terrified of that happening and I've found that sometimes I'll hoard money I should be putting towards my debt, just in case. I work independently too.

I've been hacking away at my smallest student loan - it was $6500 and I put a check from work plus my tax refund that I've kept from April towards it, which totalled $2400. That cleared the other day and I felt really motivated so I took a bonus I got from work, plus what I felt comfortable taking out of my checking account, and paid another $2750 towards it today. When that clears, my balance will only be $1400 Apparently my parents want to give me $500 for my birthday which will make it $900 and then I'm going to be obsessed with getting that paid off!!

My goal was to pay this one off by the end of Summer and then get through a good chunk of my $14K student loan by the end of the year. Now, I think I might be done with this one by the end of the month I'm instead hoping to be done with my $14K one by the end of Fall.
Well, the beach house (vacation number 1) is paid off, but number 2 isn't quite. It's Disney/Universal and I have not yet bought the UO tickets or made the final Disney payment. But I do feel good that I am working towards it. Thanks to both of you for your nice words.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #980
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wow, great job on the student loans!!!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #981
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

So today is payday and I paid 15% towards our debt. I went through and added up all we put towards debt in the last few months and it's sickening. When I think that the $ could be going towards stuff I want or need now (like a Disney trip!), not paying off debt.

So, seeing that makes me more motivated to get rid of it and never have it again!

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #982
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
So today is payday and I paid 15% towards our debt. I went through and added up all we put towards debt in the last few months and it's sickening. When I think that the $ could be going towards stuff I want or need now (like a Disney trip!), not paying off debt.

So, seeing that makes me more motivated to get rid of it and never have it again!
I couldn't agree more with you!! Once I budgeted out everything I had to pay to get the debt paid off, I was sickened too! But you will get there. I did and because of doing the budget and seeing how much I was paying to get out of debt did motivate me not to get back into it. It's nice to be able to just have to pay the mortgage and home equity loan. although I would love to see that home equity loan gone. I plan on trying to pay $100 a month extra towards it, even though it doesn't seem like a lot, it will knock months off of it in the end. I think I have 10 years left on it, and if I can pay the $100 a month and then take tax money towards it each year, I should be able to have it paid off in 5 years! That's my goal anyways.

You are doing a great job!!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #983
AuroraRora
Princess

^^ I think this too - when I consider the size of my debt from student loans and credit cards, it's as big as a mortgage. After paying it all off, I wish I'd be able to say "look at this gorgeous debt-free house I own". Or, "look at this 6-figure savings account I have!" Instead, all I'll have is no debt. But this is a major motivator for me to never get back into debt again - I never want to be back in this situation once I've got myself out of it. And I want to be prepared for the future so my kids never know what this kind of debt is like either.

I'm trying to do Dave Ramseys Zero-Based Budget thing this month - it's so tough! I allocated everything I could/wanted to pay for this month, and already I'm about a week ahead of where I should be in terms of spending. I'm one week into the month but two weeks into spending my grocery $ allocation, and all I've been doing is picking up odds and ends at the store!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
Old 06-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #984
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
^^ I think this too - when I consider the size of my debt from student loans and credit cards, it's as big as a mortgage. After paying it all off, I wish I'd be able to say "look at this gorgeous debt-free house I own". Or, "look at this 6-figure savings account I have!" Instead, all I'll have is no debt. But this is a major motivator for me to never get back into debt again - I never want to be back in this situation once I've got myself out of it. And I want to be prepared for the future so my kids never know what this kind of debt is like either.

I'm trying to do Dave Ramseys Zero-Based Budget thing this month - it's so tough! I allocated everything I could/wanted to pay for this month, and already I'm about a week ahead of where I should be in terms of spending. I'm one week into the month but two weeks into spending my grocery $ allocation, and all I've been doing is picking up odds and ends at the store!
The grocery budget is the worst! I basically buy the same things each week and still seem to go over budget.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #985
Eureka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
The grocery budget is the worst! I basically buy the same things each week and still seem to go over budget.
Food costs are outrageous. We are going away soon so I just bought a few things for this week (included a lot of fruit, and the kids have 1 more week of school, so stuff for lunches) and a few things to take with us. Still over $100 for four of us. I don't budget for the grocery store though. I just buy what we need, usually a couple items I hadn't planned on (lol!), and adjust in other categories. I have been much more vigilant about eating down what we have lately though.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #986
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

What a great board!!!! My H and I are focused seriously on debt dumping right now. I'm dying to plan a 10th anniversary trip to Disney, but we are hoping we can eliminate some of our major debt first and pay cash for the trip. It's nice to have something to look forward to, but there are also days when I feel like we are never going to get to go on vacation!!

We did just pay off one of our cars last week Very excited about freeing up that car payment to now go towards credit cards. If we can get our 1 credit card and 75% of our Home Equity loan paid off, we'll be ready to start saving up for our dream trip
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #987
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post

OMG I know that feeling!! I can't wait to use my left over money for something fun instead of paying down debt!!! Congrats on getting to put such a large % toward debt this month
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #988
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryncess527 View Post
What a great board!!!! My H and I are focused seriously on debt dumping right now. I'm dying to plan a 10th anniversary trip to Disney, but we are hoping we can eliminate some of our major debt first and pay cash for the trip. It's nice to have something to look forward to, but there are also days when I feel like we are never going to get to go on vacation!!

We did just pay off one of our cars last week Very excited about freeing up that car payment to now go towards credit cards. If we can get our 1 credit card and 75% of our Home Equity loan paid off, we'll be ready to start saving up for our dream trip
Way to go on paying off your car!! It feels great not having a car payment, doesn't it? That is the one thing that keeps me from wanting another car .... no payment!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #989
AuroraRora
Princess

Great job paying off the car, way to go!!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #990
goofyisinphilly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
This is going to seem like an obvious question, but when was the last time you raised your grocery budget? I know we are trying to save money and reduce debt, but the cost of goods keeps rising. For the longest time, we were always over budget in the grocery department despite my best efforts. When I considered the fact that I way trying to buy groceries with my budget from 5 years ago it made sense. Groceries have gone up let's say 15% and taxes have gone up.

Wouldn't it be better to raise the budget to stop the overage? That overage has to come from someplace. Which means something else is getting shorted or raising debt in a different category.
August 2012- AllStar Movies
goofyisinphilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: