Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #946
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
That is fantastic to have paid that much towards your debt in just five months!!
We still have a long way to go but with the new job we will get there. Just in time to start paying for college for DS16.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #947
AuroraRora
Princess

I completely empathize with the previous posters who mentioned how major expenses always come at the worst times - it's so true! Last year for me it was some big vet bills and a root canal/crown when I had no insurance. It's really the worst feeling. Thinking of you!

Today I paid off the last $347 to my credit card which got rid of all my credit card debt And I got a bonus at work for $2300 which I'm not even touching - it's going straight to my student loans. Now I'm at the point in my snowball I've been looking forward to (looking forward to, as much as you can look forward to paying debt ), which is working on my loans now all the smaller credit/store card debts are gone. I dug out an old "My Debts" list I made about 2 years ago, and realized I've paid $8760 towards my debt since then - I had no idea! I wrote it at the very top of my new Snowball list as motivation

Now is the hard part... adding up how much I owe I student loans so I can start tackling them. I'm ashamed to say I only have a rough idea as I've been trying to avoid looking at the exact number. Seeing how high it is and how little my minimum payments made a difference was just depressing. But hopefully this is the start of a good thing!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #948
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post

Now is the hard part... adding up how much I owe I student loans so I can start tackling them. I'm ashamed to say I only have a rough idea as I've been trying to avoid looking at the exact number. Seeing how high it is and how little my minimum payments made a difference was just depressing. But hopefully this is the start of a good thing!
Look at it from another perspective.
It's not depressing, it's motivating!! Motivating to get it paid off as soon as possible. You can do it!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #949
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
I completely empathize with the previous posters who mentioned how major expenses always come at the worst times - it's so true! Last year for me it was some big vet bills and a root canal/crown when I had no insurance. It's really the worst feeling. Thinking of you!

Today I paid off the last $347 to my credit card which got rid of all my credit card debt And I got a bonus at work for $2300 which I'm not even touching - it's going straight to my student loans. Now I'm at the point in my snowball I've been looking forward to (looking forward to, as much as you can look forward to paying debt ), which is working on my loans now all the smaller credit/store card debts are gone. I dug out an old "My Debts" list I made about 2 years ago, and realized I've paid $8760 towards my debt since then - I had no idea! I wrote it at the very top of my new Snowball list as motivation

Congrats on getting all your credit cards paid off!! This is a huge accomplishment! Once you get together the amounts you owe in loans, you will feel better when you see those totals go down!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #950
milwaukeemommy
Mouseketeer

Wow, everyone is doing so well~ congrats!!!

We, on the other hand, are getting nowhere fast. Unexpected expenses keep popping up & I'm getting very down about it. I'm meeting with our credit union tomorrow to see if refinancing is an option, but I know we have way too much debt & won't qualify

Our one & only trip -- July 2012, Shades of Green
milwaukeemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #951
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemommy View Post

We, on the other hand, are getting nowhere fast. Unexpected expenses keep popping up & I'm getting very down about it. I'm meeting with our credit union tomorrow to see if refinancing is an option, but I know we have way too much debt & won't qualify
Good luck tomorrow!! I hope your refi goes through! Don't get down about your debt going slower than you expected. You should be proud of yourself for working hard to get it paid off!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #952
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

How did you make out with the refi??
Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #953
milwaukeemommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
How did you make out with the refi??
I can't believe it, but we actually qualified! They had to bump up the rate a bit, 3.87% for good credit, & we are getting 4%. And I wasn't able to find out until a few hours AFTER I had left, for some reason he couldn't get on to the credit bureau web site. So he left me a message that we got it, & he will email the paperwork to me tomorrow.

I really wanted to do the 20 year mortgage, the thought of going back to a 30 year when we already have 11 years paid on it is painful BUT the payment will be more than $200 less a month - about $240 - whereas the 20 year would have only been $100 less a month. I was just thinking about our debt, & how much faster we can get out with that extra $200-some a month more.

Our one & only trip -- July 2012, Shades of Green
milwaukeemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #954
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't believe it, but we actually qualified! They had to bump up the rate a bit, 3.87% for good credit, & we are getting 4%. And I wasn't able to find out until a few hours AFTER I had left, for some reason he couldn't get on to the credit bureau web site. So he left me a message that we got it, & he will email the paperwork to me tomorrow.

I really wanted to do the 20 year mortgage, the thought of going back to a 30 year when we already have 11 years paid on it is painful BUT the payment will be more than $200 less a month - about $240 - whereas the 20 year would have only been $100 less a month. I was just thinking about our debt, & how much faster we can get out with that extra $200-some a month more.

Congrats I know you probably feel like a weight has been lifted!! Normally when I go into something with the feeling it's not going to work out, it does!!

My budget buster yesterday was I broke my tooth Blah!! With no dental insurance it will be a nice little bill.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #955
Dayton Flyer
Mouseketeer

My wife and I just finished paying the last of our interest-bearing credit card accounts, which at its worst had totalled nearly $20,000. We're snowballing our way through our car payment, then around the end of the year should be ready to start tackling her deferred student loans before they start bearing interest, and hopefully can get those paid off prior to June 2015 when they are due. It's exciting!
Dayton Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #956
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Flyer View Post
My wife and I just finished paying the last of our interest-bearing credit card accounts, which at its worst had totalled nearly $20,000. We're snowballing our way through our car payment, then around the end of the year should be ready to start tackling her deferred student loans before they start bearing interest, and hopefully can get those paid off prior to June 2015 when they are due. It's exciting!
Wow that is a huge amount to pay off! You should be so proud of yourselves. I keep plugging away at my debt slow and steady and you have definately inspired me to keep on keeping on!
Doodlebug939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #957
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Flyer View Post
Way to go!! You both should be proud of yourselves!! That is a huge accomplishment!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #958
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug939 View Post

Wow that is a huge amount to pay off! You should be so proud of yourselves. I keep plugging away at my debt slow and steady and you have definately inspired me to keep on keeping on!
Doodlebug, you are doing a great job!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #959
AuroraRora
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Flyer
Good job Dayton! It sounds like you're doing really well, so motivating to hear!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #960
Dayton Flyer
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. Reading all the stories on here is exciting too... we've been at that place where you think you are getting on top of things, and then you are hit with a medical bill, a car repair, and a broken water heater all at once. It's no fun, and very disheartening. I am going to be 38 in another 2 months, so I am proof that if you keep plugging away at it, you will get there. It may not be next week, but it can happen for you!
Dayton Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: