Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #931
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababear_50 View Post
Ok
I guess I'm not doing too great.
I've been watching everything I spend when Wham! the knob on the dryer breaks off and the electrical unit attached to it falls inside the dryer.
The dryer is just over the one year warranty.
So I paid $15.00 for a part but the rest of the repair+ service call and labor and taxes$170.00.Total $185.00.So no extra payments can be made this month on any debt.
Sometimes I just need a hug and right now is one of those times.
Oh well thanks for letting me vent (not as in dryer vent) that's whole other story of the three birds nest that I had to have removed last month.
Ok I know things happen in threes but this girl is out of cash right now
and my emotions are pretty raw so if any other appliance wants to break could it please be the toaster...........

Hugs everyone and hopefully I will get back on track soon.

Mel
Sorry about the dryer Your luck sounds like mine, as soon as a warranty runs out then it breaks! The good thing is, you didn't have to replace the dryer. My expenses always seem to come with vehicles. And it always seems to happen in November, right before the holidays

Hopefully nothing else happens for you and next month will be a better month.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #932
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I got a small raise at work so I'm now able to put a little more into my savings and 401k. I went off the rails a bit with debt repayment but I am determined to get back on track!
Congrats on the raise Every little bit helps! I got a promotion.....but no raise!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #933
arthur06
DDC #689
 
arthur06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 1423 miles to MK & 1799 miles to DL
Posts: 2,626

This is my first post on here...

DW and I got a chance to hit the reset button on our debt a month or so ago. We bought a foreclosure for really cheap, paid cash and have been renovating it and paying as we go. We owned a primary house with a mortgage. In doing our repairs we charged things to credit cards, paid cash for things, and everything in between.

We sold our first house and eliminated our mortgage. However, our new home, which we hired a contractor, will not be done until Sept. 1st. So, we moved in with the in-laws for the summer.

In the last month I have paid off 5 credit cards. All had balances under $1,000 but they are all paid.

I have 6 cards left to pay off, and should have them knocked out by July. We don't really have a lot of debt, but just $200 on this card, $700 on this one, etc.

It really doesn't hurt that we don't have a mortgage, cable bill, phone bill and other home associated bills for the summer.
__________________
April '11 BWV Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2697836

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #934
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!
 
BernardandMissBianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blink and ya miss it, CT
Posts: 23,405
DISboards Moderator

Why is it that every time the house knows we get money, something breaks??? DH had the turbo go in his car on the way home from DC. $900 later, it will be fixed by the middle of next week. Thankfully we have the Mini he can drive (1966) but we needed to buy a new battery for it, it's sat for a year. But we don't have to get him a rental car.
DH sold some stock last week so the money to cover the VW will come in soon, but not soon enough. We need to float it on a credit card. I hate that!! We've been doing so well!!!

Oh and the compressor went out on the AC for our room, but we are thinking of getting those wall mounted ductless units anyway so we are not going to replace the current unit just yet.
__________________
~BuffyDHDS18DS14DS13DD8
Focus your attention.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #935
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur06 View Post
This is my first post on here...

DW and I got a chance to hit the reset button on our debt a month or so ago. We bought a foreclosure for really cheap, paid cash and have been renovating it and paying as we go. We owned a primary house with a mortgage. In doing our repairs we charged things to credit cards, paid cash for things, and everything in between.

We sold our first house and eliminated our mortgage. However, our new home, which we hired a contractor, will not be done until Sept. 1st. So, we moved in with the in-laws for the summer.

In the last month I have paid off 5 credit cards. All had balances under $1,000 but they are all paid.

I have 6 cards left to pay off, and should have them knocked out by July. We don't really have a lot of debt, but just $200 on this card, $700 on this one, etc.

It really doesn't hurt that we don't have a mortgage, cable bill, phone bill and other home associated bills for the summer.
Welcome to the thread! Sounds like you are doing a great job to paying off the accumulated debt. Just think how great it will be to move into your new home with no mortgage or credit card debt!!

W
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #936
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Why is it that every time the house knows we get money, something breaks??? DH had the turbo go in his car on the way home from DC. $900 later, it will be fixed by the middle of next week. Thankfully we have the Mini he can drive (1966) but we needed to buy a new battery for it, it's sat for a year. But we don't have to get him a rental car.
DH sold some stock last week so the money to cover the VW will come in soon, but not soon enough. We need to float it on a credit card. I hate that!! We've been doing so well!!!

Oh and the compressor went out on the AC for our room, but we are thinking of getting those wall mounted ductless units anyway so we are not going to replace the current unit just yet.
The ductless vents are fantastic! I don't have one but work with various contractors that have started installing them and its a nice system!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #937
MaryKLady
DIS Veteran
 
MaryKLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WDW Withdrawal
Posts: 1,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtosam View Post
Coming out of lurkdom to share -- I really like this payoff calculator from Bankrate. It gives you a specific payment plan to follow in order to pay off your debts most quickly. I'm the kind of person who needs a checklist to follow. Each month I can cross off each payment as I make it. It keeps me on track.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx
Never seen this before but I like it!

Hi, Im a lurker

We don't have any debt except our mortgage. I've always put a little extra toward it but now that DD9 is getting closer to college, I'd really like to get it paid. I have recently discovered this person you speak of, Dave Ramsey and I am using the baby steps. Right now we are beefing up our emergency fund and working on getting our insurance policies up to date.
__________________
Me DH DD

7/2014 Disneyland-10/2012 Fantasy's First Halloween-1/2010 DCL Magic-1/2010 Polynesian- 7/2009 6th Birthday Trip-12/2007 A WDW Christmas-1986 Contemporary
MaryKLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #938
jenbelles
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 86

I too am I lurker...
I also found out about Dave Ramsey by reading this board. While I am not ready to be as extreme as some of his suggestions, I am ready to start to dump the debt. This will be the third time that I have racked up credit cards to an obscene amount. However, I need some suggestions in regards to his baby step approach.

DH and I are very fortunate to both have full time employment that allows us to continue to pay all of our bills. We are also fortunate enough to have paid off his vehicle about two years ago, leaving us with a decent amount of money to apply to pay down our debt. However, I have not been strict enough with making sure we apply it to our debt every month.

After reading these boards, I made a list of the debt that I think is realistic to be paid off in 5 years. (assuming we do not need to purchase a new car)

Where I get confused is the suggestion to pay off all of the small balances first no matter the interest rate.

We have 4 Store Credit Card's with balances but all of these cards are 0% interest.

I have one personal loan that if we apply the extra payments, will be paid off in 9 months opening up an additional $350 per month. If I paid off all of the 0% interest cards (the smallest balances of my debt) it would take almost one year and only free up an additional $145 per month.

Isn't this an instance where I should go off program?
jenbelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #939
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbelles View Post
I too am I lurker...
I also found out about Dave Ramsey by reading this board. While I am not ready to be as extreme as some of his suggestions, I am ready to start to dump the debt. This will be the third time that I have racked up credit cards to an obscene amount. However, I need some suggestions in regards to his baby step approach.

DH and I are very fortunate to both have full time employment that allows us to continue to pay all of our bills. We are also fortunate enough to have paid off his vehicle about two years ago, leaving us with a decent amount of money to apply to pay down our debt. However, I have not been strict enough with making sure we apply it to our debt every month.

After reading these boards, I made a list of the debt that I think is realistic to be paid off in 5 years. (assuming we do not need to purchase a new car)

Where I get confused is the suggestion to pay off all of the small balances first no matter the interest rate.

We have 4 Store Credit Card's with balances but all of these cards are 0% interest.

I have one personal loan that if we apply the extra payments, will be paid off in 9 months opening up an additional $350 per month. If I paid off all of the 0% interest cards (the smallest balances of my debt) it would take almost one year and only free up an additional $145 per month.

Isn't this an instance where I should go off program?
When does the interest run out on your 0% cards? And what will the interest rate be on the cards compared to the loan that you have?
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #940
PrincessKymm
Mouseketeer
 
PrincessKymm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbelles View Post
I too am I lurker...
I also found out about Dave Ramsey by reading this board. While I am not ready to be as extreme as some of his suggestions, I am ready to start to dump the debt. This will be the third time that I have racked up credit cards to an obscene amount. However, I need some suggestions in regards to his baby step approach.

DH and I are very fortunate to both have full time employment that allows us to continue to pay all of our bills. We are also fortunate enough to have paid off his vehicle about two years ago, leaving us with a decent amount of money to apply to pay down our debt. However, I have not been strict enough with making sure we apply it to our debt every month.

After reading these boards, I made a list of the debt that I think is realistic to be paid off in 5 years. (assuming we do not need to purchase a new car)

Where I get confused is the suggestion to pay off all of the small balances first no matter the interest rate.

We have 4 Store Credit Card's with balances but all of these cards are 0% interest.

I have one personal loan that if we apply the extra payments, will be paid off in 9 months opening up an additional $350 per month. If I paid off all of the 0% interest cards (the smallest balances of my debt) it would take almost one year and only free up an additional $145 per month.

Isn't this an instance where I should go off program?
The reason dave ramsey says to pay off smallest to largest is a psychological thing. When you pay off the smallest balance you get that momentum going. I suggest listing them in order smallest to largest and paying them off that way since you can pay the bills each month. If you were having a cash flow problem if agree to get rid of the large payment each month. Get rid of the 0% interest and then roll each payment into the snowball for the loan.
PrincessKymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #941
jenbelles
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
When does the interest run out on your 0% cards? And what will the interest rate be on the cards compared to the loan that you have?
They range from November of this year until December of 2014. No matter how we allocate the money, we will have to make allowances for these cards to be paid before the 0% expires so that all of the deferred interest does not added in.
jenbelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #942
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbelles View Post
They range from November of this year until December of 2014. No matter how we allocate the money, we will have to make allowances for these cards to be paid before the 0% expires so that all of the deferred interest does not added in.
I would start with the loan if that will be paid off 1st, since you have interest on that. And then start with the cc that will have the first expiring 0% interest
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #943
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!
 
BernardandMissBianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blink and ya miss it, CT
Posts: 23,405
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
The ductless vents are fantastic! I don't have one but work with various contractors that have started installing them and its a nice system!
Good to know.
We have 2 small bedrooms upstairs and an open floor plan downstairs so we may just go with the ductless unit downstairs for now. The 2 bedrooms are pretty small so I'm not sure if we want to get a ductless for up there.
__________________
~BuffyDHDS18DS14DS13DD8
Focus your attention.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #944
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!
 
BernardandMissBianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blink and ya miss it, CT
Posts: 23,405
DISboards Moderator

So I just updated our Own up to your Debt worksheet that I had posted at the beginning of this thread. Since 1/1/13 we have paid off $9430 in debt. I really haven't been as agressive as I could be but we've had a few expenses pop up.

Good news, DH is getting a new job and his pay will double. There will be some additional expenses due to this because we will be using our RV as a second home so we are paying a seasonal and monthly fee at an RV park but the cost is 1/2 - 1/3 the cost of a studio or one bedroom apt in or near the town the new job is in.
It's a long and complicated story but we will keep this house because the school the kids go to is fabulous and the town pays the tuition. DH will live 90% of the time in the RV and we will split our time 50/50 between the house and the RV. DH's commute will go from 8 hours to 1 1/2 hours. Ours will be 30 minutes from the RV park.

Our plan is to pretty much live off his current salary and use the rest to pay for the RV park and pay the credit cards.
__________________
~BuffyDHDS18DS14DS13DD8
Focus your attention.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #945
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
So I just updated our Own up to your Debt worksheet that I had posted at the beginning of this thread. Since 1/1/13 we have paid off $9430 in debt. I really haven't been as agressive as I could be but we've had a few expenses pop up.

Good news, DH is getting a new job and his pay will double. There will be some additional expenses due to this because we will be using our RV as a second home so we are paying a seasonal and monthly fee at an RV park but the cost is 1/2 - 1/3 the cost of a studio or one bedroom apt in or near the town the new job is in.
It's a long and complicated story but we will keep this house because the school the kids go to is fabulous and the town pays the tuition. DH will live 90% of the time in the RV and we will split our time 50/50 between the house and the RV. DH's commute will go from 8 hours to 1 1/2 hours. Ours will be 30 minutes from the RV park.

Our plan is to pretty much live off his current salary and use the rest to pay for the RV park and pay the credit cards.
That is fantastic to have paid that much towards your debt in just five months!!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: