Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #901
aclov
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazi View Post

What IS going on with the dang air fair prices....we are booked for October and may bite the bullet and drive because the flights are not dropping at ALL. I live in Indy and usually use Air Tran. Every other time we have snagged cheap flights but now NOTHING.....really irritated!
Gas is so high right now! So that affects the cost of flights as well. It's ridiculous, I imagine people rethinking their vacation plans.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #902
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclov View Post
Gas is so high right now! So that affects the cost of flights as well. It's ridiculous, I imagine people rethinking their vacation plans.
My mother-in-law just flew to Florida about a month ago and told me the price of her ticket ( I don't recall how much $) and I was floored at how expensive it was and not even a direct flight! Then she told me that about half of the plane was empty, she took the first flight out in the morning around 6a.m. I just don't understand, wouldn't the airplane companies want to fill their planes and offer a little discount and make it more affordable.

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #903
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
My mother-in-law just flew to Florida about a month ago and told me the price of her ticket ( I don't recall how much $) and I was floored at how expensive it was and not even a direct flight! Then she told me that about half of the plane was empty, she took the first flight out in the morning around 6a.m. I just don't understand, wouldn't the airplane companies want to fill their planes and offer a little discount and make it more affordable.

Exactly!! I am hoping that there are enough people rethinking vaca plans that they end up dropping the $ of airfare. So far the week I have chosen is not going to happen with the price. I will go somewhere else to see Christmas decorations

How is everyone doing this week?? So far everyone seems to be doing such a great job!!
Danielle, when do you start your new job?
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #904
milwaukeemommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclov View Post
What I decided to do and did a few years back is get a 401k loan to pay off my cc's about 4k. Some may consider this not a smart move but at 4.25% and paying myself back thru payroll deduction is better for me. The key is not charging back up or paying it off right away!
I totally wanted to do this - we couldn't pay off ALL our debt doing this but a good sum - but dh said NO & since it's his 401k, I couldn't argue

There are so many arguments about whether it's right or wrong to do this -- but I'm with you - CC interest rates are so high. I do understand dh's side though - he is a welder & there is always the chance he could get laid off - then we'd have to pay it back in 60 days.

Our one & only trip -- July 2012, Shades of Green
milwaukeemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #905
PrincessKymm
Mouseketeer

So I'm back on track after being derailed for a bit. I've got my $1k emergency fund, I've started a "doctor fund" for my new health insurance plan, and I've just paid off 25% of my smallest credit card. I'm also working on paying off 2 particular doctor bills since we need to see these doctors soon so it's not quite as easy to snowball these bills. I should have both credit cards and both doctors paid off by the end of August. I've never had a plan that would work before. I believe the emergency fund is what is making the difference. It doesn't help me sleep at night but it sure does motivate me!
PrincessKymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #906
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKymm View Post
So I'm back on track after being derailed for a bit. I've got my $1k emergency fund, I've started a "doctor fund" for my new health insurance plan, and I've just paid off 25% of my smallest credit card. I'm also working on paying off 2 particular doctor bills since we need to see these doctors soon so it's not quite as easy to snowball these bills. I should have both credit cards and both doctors paid off by the end of August. I've never had a plan that would work before. I believe the emergency fund is what is making the difference. It doesn't help me sleep at night but it sure does motivate me!
You are off to a great start. The emergency fund is working really well for me too. I have found that when "unexpected" things come up I have to make do without using it and that they were not as unexpected as I thought just poor planning on my part. So I am writing them down as it happens (which is less often now) so that in the next year I will be ready.

I like how you stated that you paid of 25% of your smallest card. It doesnt matter how much or little that amount is in reality but to see 25% means you are 1/4 of the way done and that sounds good in any language.

Have a great day!
Doodlebug939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #907
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
Exactly!! I am hoping that there are enough people rethinking vaca plans that they end up dropping the $ of airfare. So far the week I have chosen is not going to happen with the price. I will go somewhere else to see Christmas decorations

How is everyone doing this week?? So far everyone seems to be doing such a great job!!
Danielle, when do you start your new job?
June 3rd is the official first day of training, I need to go out of town for a week of training, which is a bit nerve wracking! I have never been away from my kids for that long. I hope that airfare prices go down, it seems no one wants to fly because of the prices!

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #908
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
Thank you so much Jenny105 and Gracie1! I am so excited to start something new that could potentially make us some big Disney spending$$$$! And isn't that why we all work!!!! I feel like our debt could be done by middle of next year except for a car payment that is looming in the , I have no payment now but I have a 11 year old van with 155k miles on it and the body is rusting pretty bad due to all the salt in the winter around here. Still runs good but getting older and uglier everyday!
My car is 11 years old too but it's in pretty good condition (knock on wood). I'm lucky because my boyfriend is a mechanic But I'm dealing with rust issues too!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #909
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
I used Gail Vazoxlade's own up to your debt spreadsheet to figure out how to pay each card off.

http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resourc...worksheet.html
What a great link! Thank you!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #910
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

I dont work in the summer so I will save almost $500 in gas. Dh still works and dd and I stay home so we just stay close to home to save $$ plus we dont like the heat-lol! My bills will be paid off by mid June or the end of June. Luckily I had money taken out of my paychecks for the summer months .

I'm going to focus on decluttering the home and making $$ on craigs list. Not sure if the CL $$ will go to xmas fund or the saving plan that was posted on this form resulting in about $1300 at the end of the year.

In August my Flex account starts so that $$ will go toward emergency account.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #911
reginaastralis
DIS Veteran

I hope you don't mind if I join, but I currently don't have any debt. Well, in repayment. DF and I are both in school full time, so we're racking up some significant debt. I'm currently making a plan on what I'd like to save, and maybe make payments toward our loans that are gathering interest. Also, we're planning a wedding and planning on having a baby soon, so I'd like to make a savings plan for both of these. I figure if I start saving now, I won't have to "dump the debt" later.

Thanks for the inspiration! I'm currently on page 16 and it's making wish I had started 5 months ago.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #912
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaastralis View Post
I hope you don't mind if I join, but I currently don't have any debt. Well, in repayment. DF and I are both in school full time, so we're racking up some significant debt. I'm currently making a plan on what I'd like to save, and maybe make payments toward our loans that are gathering interest. Also, we're planning a wedding and planning on having a baby soon, so I'd like to make a savings plan for both of these. I figure if I start saving now, I won't have to "dump the debt" later.

Thanks for the inspiration! I'm currently on page 16 and it's making wish I had started 5 months ago.
Its good if you can be paying on the school loans now. My dd23 graduated from a 4 yr private University last May and her school loan payments are $310 a month for 10 years! They are just so thankful that her DH doesnt have any loans....Grandparents paid for his schooling If he had a school loan, that would be like having 2 car payments for 10 years Its bad enough having the one.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #913
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaastralis View Post

Sounds like you are very smart and being proactive with trying to pay your loans and prepare for the wedding and baby!! Welcome to the thread!!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #914
SnowWhite09
DIS Veteran

Bumping this up
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #915
kim532
DIS Veteran

I want to be apart of this conversation. I have been away from the boards for a while and now have found my way back (like I always do).

We have started dumping the debt back in March. We have paid off about $15k in the past 3 months. We had large tax returns because of adoption tax credit and my annual bonus. My goal going forward is to get rid of $2k per month. That is a lofty goal but we are living on bare bones to make this happen!

Kim
kim532 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: