Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #751
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakaiii View Post
Phew! New Visa has arrived and all of the fraudulent charges have been credited! I will start paying it of once we get our savings up to $1000. Not much further.

I just put an extra $200 into savings, with more headed that way in a few days. We're trying to keep some extra cash aside for our trip to Las Vegas in 2 weeks! Neither of us gamble so we won't be coming home with a landfall... or a huge debt.
OOOOOOO, Vegas! I'll be there about the same time you will be!! Fun! We don't gamble much, so we won't be spending that much at the tables/slots; most of the fun money we'll be bringing will go towards food. We plan on doing A LOT of walking on the Strip, hope the weather permits it.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #752
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip91 View Post
Any advice would be great, any criticism keep to yourself, I know it's bad.
I sure hope you don't receive any negative comments; we all find ourselves in similar circumstances or we wouldn't be on this thread!

for you!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #753
gjl
Mouseketeer

Removed

Last edited by gjl; 01-21-2014 at 10:06 PM.
gjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #754
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Making bi-weekly mortgage payments when you have that much unsecured debt is not a great idea.

Pay the minimum amount due each month on your mortgage. Put that extra towards the credit cards, and pay them off one at a time.

Also, unless your car loan's interest is higher than the credit cards, you should not be focusing on paying that off yet. Again, make the required payments on the car loan and put the rest towards credit cards.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #755
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
OOOOOOO, Vegas! I'll be there about the same time you will be!! Fun! We don't gamble much, so we won't be spending that much at the tables/slots; most of the fun money we'll be bringing will go towards food. We plan on doing A LOT of walking on the Strip, hope the weather permits it.
Oh yay! We'll be there April 13-16! Where are you staying? I was able to cash in a bunch of grocery store points for our flight & hotel package... saved us $500! We're staying at the Aria because we wanted to try something new and my husband likes high-techy stuff. In the past I've stayed at the Luxor (okay) and the Imperial Palace (awful!). We also got free tickets to see Beatles Love! I'm excited we've managed to do this trip on a budget so far. Hopefully we won't go crazy on food.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #756
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh yay! We'll be there April 13-16! Where are you staying? I was able to cash in a bunch of grocery store points for our flight & hotel package... saved us $500! We're staying at the Aria because we wanted to try something new and my husband likes high-techy stuff. In the past I've stayed at the Luxor (okay) and the Imperial Palace (awful!). We also got free tickets to see Beatles Love! I'm excited we've managed to do this trip on a budget so far. Hopefully we won't go crazy on food.
OMG! We're going the EXACT SAME DATES!! We're staying at Vdara, so really close to you. Splurged on a City Corner Suite since we're celebrating our 16th anniversary. We used to live in Southern California and drive into Vegas a few times a year, but its been 8 years since I've been last, so I know quite a bit has changed. Typically we stayed at the Frontier which has since been demolished and is where the Trump property is now. Would our DH's think we're terribly odd if we arrange to meet up?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #757
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Quote:
OMG! We're going the EXACT SAME DATES!! We're staying at Vdara, so really close to you. Splurged on a City Corner Suite since we're celebrating our 16th anniversary. We used to live in Southern California and drive into Vegas a few times a year, but its been 8 years since I've been last, so I know quite a bit has changed. Typically we stayed at the Frontier which has since been demolished and is where the Trump property is now. Would our DH's think we're terribly odd if we arrange to meet up?
Same dates! What a coincidence! I also looked at Vdara... looks so nice! Let me know what you think.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've scheduled the stuffing out of this trip, so I don't think we have time for a meet up! Since our day-to-day always involves the needs of a toddler, I went a little hog wild in planning back to back fun activities for DH and I! We just had our 10th anniversary in October, and I turn 30 next week, so we have lots to celebrate... mostly with food since I'm 5 months pregnant.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #758
pianokey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
for all of you budget gurus how do you do it with the price of gas increasing all the time and groceries seem to rise every time I go into the grocery store.. I coupon if can and price match at Wal Mart when can but I don't live in a big city so I have wal Mart and one grocery to choose from. The internet is our only "luxury" don't have cable TV, just your basic local channels.
I don't know that I am budget guru, but here is something that has helped me. I use a meal planning service, which sets up a weekly menu and a shopping list. That way I can stick to the list at the grocery store and not just buy on impulse things we don't need. I don't coupon, as I found the hassle to not be worth it. But having a list really helps me, although it may not be for everyone. There are several online sites that provide this service for a small fee. Seems counter-intuitive to pay for something when you are trying to get out of debt, but it helps me stay on track and on budget to have someone else go through the hassle of meal planning. As for gas, I don't have any tips on that.
DCL - 3rd Anniversary 09/13 - Fantasy
DCL - 4th Anniversary 09/14 - Magic in the Med
pianokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #759
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
? for all of you budget gurus how do you do it with the price of gas increasing all the time and groceries seem to rise every time I go into the grocery store.. I coupon if can and price match at Wal Mart when can but I don't live in a big city so I have wal Mart and one grocery to choose from. The internet is our only "luxury" don't have cable TV, just your basic local channels.
I also make a menu out when DH gets paid and I shop for 2 weeks at a time. (DH gets pd every other week)
I make the menu, then write down ingredients I need on my list and stick to it. I shop at Walmart as well, and scan Kroger and Food Lion's ads and have Wmart price match the other stores prices if they are better. I definately coupon. I just cut them out on Sunday afternoon and use as many as match what is on my list.
I shop CVS for my toiletries and get stuff for much of nothing, if not free, with their Extra Care Bucks.
As far as gas, I try and do all my running on one day and stay home as much as possible the rest of the week. I carpool my dd to school, so I have to go out each afternoon to pick her up. If I find I need something, I do it on the way to get dd.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #760
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

Quote:

? for all of you budget gurus how do you do it with the price of gas increasing all the time and groceries seem to rise every time I go into the grocery store.. I coupon if can and price match at Wal Mart when can but I don't live in a big city so I have wal Mart and one grocery to choose from. The internet is our only "luxury" don't have cable TV, just your basic local channels.
believe it or not the best couponing i get is at target these days. they have some pretty good prices on basics in my area so i hit them up for toilettries and groceries by stacking coupons. i combine errands and since i use public transportation to get to work i sometimes use my car one a week which cuts down on gas so i truthfully only feel the pinch when im on vacation and travelling around state. i make it a point to go shopping in my pantry often to use up what i have and match it with items on sale so nothing goes to waste.

a belt in my car is making some noise so i have to take it in this week. that will put a dent in my budget this month (maybe i do have some $$ set aside for minor car repairs). i also now owe a christmas gift now, yes believe it or not i just saw a close relative for the first time since then and they actually brought my xmas gift. i thought we weren't exchanging this year so i didn't bring anything. i hope im able to stay on track with my student loan dumping. my goal of paying off a subloan might get pushed back until june if things keep up.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #761
vegasnative
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Been reading through the entire thread all morning, longing to go back to my happy place, Disney..knowing I can't afford it at all! But it's my goal, so I have to start somewhere right! I know I can't pay off debts in 3 years, so my goal is 5...

The little things crept up on my family, and unfortunately, putting medical bills is how it started, then when times were tough things like groceries and gas we have 5 credit cards, with all of them being between 1500-3000 away from being maxed out..total debt I just added is 56500, makes me sick! All crdit card except 2k on my vehicle yet... I've resolved to stop using the cards, on paper it does not work, but I'm hoping that through the grace of God, I can keep a budget stick to it and no more credit card usage, if it's absolutely necessary then the new charge, gets paid off right away!!!

I have little to no savings, 500.00 in savings, so will work on that first, 50.00 a week is all I can afford.. After I get to 1000.00 will then work on attacking the car payment, get that gone and then the cards, 1 at a time.. Read throu Dave Ramsey, will try hard to follow his debt snowball... DH & I both work full time, and both have a 2nd jobs for a few months out of the year. Hoping when my youngest enters school full time, that daycare money will go towards debt (another year and half before full time school) when I did my taxes and I got the daycare total for tax write off 4850 in Day Care!!! Ugh

Right now we can pay all of our bills (mortgage, cc's, gas, groceries,) but at the end of the checks it's all gone, I feel like I can't kick in any "extra" towards the debt, and I don't want to be in debt for the next 30 years. I want to kick the CC debt and then kick the mortgage to the curb!!! *25 years left on morgtage, making bi-weekly payments, to add 1/2 payment per year) Any advice would be great, any criticism keep to yourself, I know it's bad.
Try not to get discouraged before you start attacking. You mentioned that all you can afford is $50 a week to put into your savings. That is pretty good. For now just pay the minimum on those cards. Stick that $50 a week into your savings. With you putting in weekly you will see it start to climb faster than you think. Then once the savings is at $1000 keep putting that $50 a week (plus the minimum monthly payment) towards whatever credit card you want to attack first.
Personally I think an $50 a week is more than a lot of people have. You would be doing yourself a big favor to not use the cards anymore, at all though. Otherwise you are just spinning your wheels.

I'm very conscious of where our money goes. I always have been. Even more so now with the price of gas and groceries like you said. I cut coupons for products we use. I make a weekly menu, then I write a grocery list, and try hard to stick to that list. I have found planning our menu for the week saves me money. I know what we will be eating and when, so there is no going out to eat. The price of gas is ridiculous and it is hurting everyone.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #762
piperdown
Mouseketeer

Smile

Just wanted to provide some moral support to all of you guys. Six years ago, we had 25k+ in credit card debt, a mortgage we could barely make and two car payments.

We made some bad choices in our 20s and 30s, and have spent the last 5+ years learning to live within our means. We cut up the credit cards and didn’t use them for 4 years. It took 3 years to pay them off, and we went another year using cash/debit only to make sure we’d learned to budget. We finished paying for both cars and have until just recently, resisted the new car urge. Just last week, we traded in our 9-year old Subaru for something with much better gas mileage.

Today, we do use credit cards, but only for rewards. I’ve not paid a penny in interest in over 2 years, but have received several hundreds in rewards. I pay the credit cards off on a weekly basis, and I keep a detailed budget spreadsheet. Our savings, retirement, and DD’s college fund are all growing, and we can afford nice vacations every couple of years. I can’t explain the peace of mind we have, knowing we finally have financial security.

Keep going….you will get there!!

piperdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #763
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Same dates! What a coincidence! I also looked at Vdara... looks so nice! Let me know what you think.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've scheduled the stuffing out of this trip, so I don't think we have time for a meet up! Since our day-to-day always involves the needs of a toddler, I went a little hog wild in planning back to back fun activities for DH and I! We just had our 10th anniversary in October, and I turn 30 next week, so we have lots to celebrate... mostly with food since I'm 5 months pregnant.
Here's wishing you happy buffet grazing!!

Sorry to hijack, folks. Back to budget related stuff...

We went last weekend to test drive cars. Our 11 year old Taurus is on its last legs, unfortunately. I really don't want a car payment, but its important to me to have a reliable vehicle, especially since I'm toting around a 3 year old.

So we went to the local Hyundai dealer because their cars are getting good reviews, they have great gas mileage, good warranties and I have friends, acquaintances and family members who love their Hyundais. We drove a Sonata, which was pretty nice, and starts at a decent price. But my DH was insistent we get the back-up camera. Wellllllll, the back-up camera is ONLY available on the highest model and ONLY if you purchase the luxury package on top of the car, so this nice, simple, modest purchase ran up to around $30000!!

Needless to say, we didn't buy. I now have to rethink our budget. Again.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #764
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagginit View Post
believe it or not the best couponing i get is at target these days. they have some pretty good prices on basics in my area so i hit them up for toilettries and groceries by stacking coupons. i combine errands and since i use public transportation to get to work i sometimes use my car one a week which cuts down on gas so i truthfully only feel the pinch when im on vacation and travelling around state. i make it a point to go shopping in my pantry often to use up what i have and match it with items on sale so nothing goes to waste.
Also with Target coupons you can stack Target coupons with manufacturers coupons.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #765
Disneefun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here's wishing you happy buffet grazing!!

Sorry to hijack, folks. Back to budget related stuff...

We went last weekend to test drive cars. Our 11 year old Taurus is on its last legs, unfortunately. I really don't want a car payment, but its important to me to have a reliable vehicle, especially since I'm toting around a 3 year old.

So we went to the local Hyundai dealer because their cars are getting good reviews, they have great gas mileage, good warranties and I have friends, acquaintances and family members who love their Hyundais. We drove a Sonata, which was pretty nice, and starts at a decent price. But my DH was insistent we get the back-up camera. Wellllllll, the back-up camera is ONLY available on the highest model and ONLY if you purchase the luxury package on top of the car, so this nice, simple, modest purchase ran up to around $30000!!

Needless to say, we didn't buy. I now have to rethink our budget. Again.
If you have to have the camera, get it installed after-market. There are plenty of choices out there and most are simple enough you can install them yourself. Even if you have to pay someone, it's going to be a lot cheaper than buying the luxury package, etc. on the car. Get the base car and get the camera after.
Disneefun is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: