Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #466
gjl
Mouseketeer

Removed

Last edited by gjl; 01-21-2014 at 11:54 PM.
gjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #467
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol97 View Post
We acquired alot of debt a few years ago because we had infertility issues and we're unable to have a baby. So, we sought adoption and it wasn't cheap! We knew what we were doing and very willing to incure the debt to adopt a child and have worked hard to pay this debt down/off! Our adoption cost $32,000 and that was in the states and we are down to about $13,000 and our daughter is now almost 6 years old now! We are very proud of how far we've come and been able to be a happy family!

One thing that I have done over the years was keep a spreadsheet detailing each credit card and loan we have with a monthly line of all totaled together!! Every month, I write down on it the balance owed on each card/loan and month by month and even year by year I can see exactly how far we've come. And if there were months that we struggled like to due Christmas, I could also see that we needed to try and work harder to cut our expenses or work more hours at our jobs, if possible. I highly recommend doing this to track your debts. It's wonderful to look last month's versus this month and say we got out of $1400 in debt or so forth. And to look at 4-5-6 months ago and see the balance due now is much less helps you keep staying focused on the task even though it's very tempting somethings to want to blow money on other things like home improvements, extra clothes, etc.

With our method, we did take our daughter to Disney 3 years ago and we are heading there again in less than 2 weeks. We made ALOT of other sacrifices though to be able to do these trips!

That debt was well worth it
gracie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #468
treeface
Mouseketeer

Paid off a very small credit card this week, $86, that now makes 2 less bills we have each month, and $50/month to add to others.

I see the start of the tunnel finally and will knock this out quickly..."Just keep swimming"

1972 Offsite 1978 Offsite, 1985 Buena Vista Palace 1992 Offsite, 1994 Travelodge (Disney Village)
1996 POFQ 1997 CBR 2002 WL 2003 AKL 2006 POFQ/AKL 2006 WL Concierge MVMCP
2007 SSR 2007 OKW, 2008 ASM & OKW, 2009 Pop & SSR, 2009 BCV
treeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #469
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeface View Post
Paid off a very small credit card this week, $86, that now makes 2 less bills we have each month, and $50/month to add to others.

I see the start of the tunnel finally and will knock this out quickly..."Just keep swimming"
Way to go on getting 2 cc's paid off
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #470
clintswifeymomof4
I <3 Muscles

I closed a cc account with a zero balance and cut up the card! I had no intention of using it again so I just closed it out altogether! I have 2 more in my name with 0 balances but need them open for a credit history and to maintain my score. It was liberating to cut up that sucker!

I transferred some extra $ my husband earned to our emergency fund (now up to $1300) and got some rebates (with more on the way) that I put into my Christmas fund ($285 so far)! For me personally- I know if I use the Christmas fund cash to send to debts- I will just end up charging so I am going to avoid that this year!

I ordered some rebate forms off of EBay that should earn me another $80. Woot!
Nikki ~ Wife to 1, Mom to 5 (DD10, DSD10, DD7, DS4, DD2)! FW Cabins: Feb 17-24, 2012 (Free Dining!), BWV Studio Feb 9-12, 2013 (Mom & Dad only!) AKL Value 2 Bedroom: Apr 21-26, 2013 (Kids allowed this time!)With a SURPRISE trip to Legoland, Fl
clintswifeymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #471
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

i have paid off 4 cards in the last 2 weeks and paid half of my Kohl's off (only another $1500 on that one to go). we still have three cards to pay off...a total of about $12k. I hope to get them churned out by april 1.

then we will have to gazelle up some $$$$ to pay taxes for the year.

after that, we will work on paying down the principle on our house.

it will take a while but i think we can do it. I just want to get it done!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #472
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintswifeymomof4 View Post
I closed a cc account with a zero balance and cut up the card! I had no intention of using it again so I just closed it out altogether! I have 2 more in my name with 0 balances but need them open for a credit history and to maintain my score. It was liberating to cut up that sucker!

I transferred some extra $ my husband earned to our emergency fund (now up to $1300) and got some rebates (with more on the way) that I put into my Christmas fund ($285 so far)! For me personally- I know if I use the Christmas fund cash to send to debts- I will just end up charging so I am going to avoid that this year!

I ordered some rebate forms off of EBay that should earn me another $80. Woot!

Way to go!! And your doing great with your christmas fund as well I already have a list of what I am buying this year, and have started saving as well! I have actually started shopping for a few things so I can cross them off my list. I always go out on black friday, but that shopping is for me
Old 02-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #473
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmom View Post
i have paid off 4 cards in the last 2 weeks and paid half of my Kohl's off (only another $1500 on that one to go). we still have three cards to pay off...a total of about $12k. I hope to get them churned out by april 1.

then we will have to gazelle up some $$$$ to pay taxes for the year.

after that, we will work on paying down the principle on our house.

it will take a while but i think we can do it. I just want to get it done!
Your going to have $12k of your debt paid off by April 1st? That is great!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #474
aclov
DIS Veteran

For those paying off credit cards, are you closing them? Or leaving them open unless it's a big temptation? I can put mine away and not see them so I won't use them!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #475
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

gracie, i hope so. it will depend upon how much income we have in march (dh is a doctor and our bank balance depends on how fast medicaid writes checks)...if not by April 1, then by the 10th for sure.

aclov, i haven't closed any accounts and don't know if i will. I KNOW what DR says but i take what he says with a grain of salt (today...maybe after i backslide a few times I won't). he also says no travel during your bill pay off period but i am still going to my Grandmother's birthday party in April, DR be darmned!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #476
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmom View Post
gracie, i hope so. it will depend upon how much income we have in march (dh is a doctor and our bank balance depends on how fast medicaid writes checks)...if not by April 1, then by the 10th for sure.

aclov, i haven't closed any accounts and don't know if i will. I KNOW what DR says but i take what he says with a grain of salt (today...maybe after i backslide a few times I won't). he also says no travel during your bill pay off period but i am still going to my Grandmother's birthday party in April, DR be darmned!

I have yet to be on a vacation where I have not been in debt! And I have also charged vacations, so I know DR sure wouldn't be proud of me!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #477
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclov View Post
For those paying off credit cards, are you closing them? Or leaving them open unless it's a big temptation? I can put mine away and not see them so I won't use them!

If you know you won't be tempted to use them, then I would keep them for an absolute emergency. I know you will see multiple opinions on other threads where they say your credit score will drop if you close the cards. I at one time (years ago) had 27 credit cards. Yes, 27!!! I had gotten into a lot of trouble with them and took out a personal loan, and closed all accounts. Now I didn't owe on all 27, probably about 7. But I closed them all, and I never had my credit score affected. I have had cards where I sign up for the promotion, and then a year later close them out, and still have not had trouble with my score. I do have a few cards still open just in case of an emergency, and the one card I do use and pay the balance off each month so I can build up rewards on it.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #478
clintswifeymomof4
I <3 Muscles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclov
I only cut the one up because I know for a fact I would use it again. It only had a $200 limit and it was a secured card. I filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy in 2006 after my first marriage ended and he left me with no $ in the bank and all the marital debt. I had never made a late payment and having a Finance degree, this was a hard pill to swallow but I had 2 babies to support on my own then. I remarried in 2007.

My husband has an excellent credit rating and came into the marriage with zero debt and a hefty savings. I ended up going back to school and got my Masters in education and started teaching in 2007. I taught for 2 years then could not find a position for 2 years (this is my 2nd school term back) so that is how the savings went and the debt came on.

I've since added 2 unsecured cards (both with 0 balances) that I am leaving open. The limit is higher than the secured card $1500 and $700). Because of the high limit- I honestly am not tempted to use them. I would use the $200 card in a heartbeat because I know I have the $ to pay it off every month BUT that is $200 I need to be sending to other debts instead of buying crap. If it is a need- I'll just pay cash for it up front.

The rest of our debt is in my husband's name but it is most assuredly both of our burden and that's what we are getting rid of now!

Mailing off $34 in rebate forms tomorrow and putting it in my Christmas fund when it comes.

We both only get paid once a month so our first snowball payment from paying off our personal loan ($111) will go to the next credit card.
Nikki ~ Wife to 1, Mom to 5 (DD10, DSD10, DD7, DS4, DD2)! FW Cabins: Feb 17-24, 2012 (Free Dining!), BWV Studio Feb 9-12, 2013 (Mom & Dad only!) AKL Value 2 Bedroom: Apr 21-26, 2013 (Kids allowed this time!)With a SURPRISE trip to Legoland, Fl
clintswifeymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #479
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclov View Post
I won't be closing mine. I use my Disney visa to pay my monthly bills. The charges are paid as soon as they hit. I used to have them linked directly to my checking account but switched everything over to get the rewards. The problem I have is that I need to stop using credit cards for spur of the moment charges but I'm getting better

Add me to the list of people who vacation while in debt. I know you're not supposed to but ya gotta get away every now and then!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #480
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

DH paid off another credit card yesterday. 2 left and one will be done the end of march! We think we can be CC debt free by the time baby gets here!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: