Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #436
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeface

I totally understand. DH lost his job here in mid September and we were not at all prepared. We were making it month to month, and had a plan in place to pay down debt, now everything had changed. He had several interviews over 4 months, even multiples for the same company, but no offers came. Meanwhile, I had to pick up insurance, cutting my take home pay by 35% and the leftover was to live on. We did not do birthdays or Christmas (except my son and 2 nieces because I shop ahead) and relied a lot on the generosity of friends. DH finally got a job a month ago, less that 50% of previous pay, but it is enough to pay everything.

We are still trying to get caught up on some things that got behind, but we will make it work. Of course, it helps that my car is paid for next month and his will be paid in August.

I pray every night for guidance and sometimes feel scared and alone, but know that in just 4 weeks from today when my last car payment clears, the road ahead will look brighter.
I know you are definitely looking forward to making that last car payment!!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #437
clintswifeymomof4
I <3 Muscles

Everyone is making good progress!!! I'm so sorry to hear about the job positions. Praying for you guys.

I probably did something today that will slow down my getting out of debt plan... but I asked (begged) my sister and niece to come over once a month to babysit and clean and then my mom is going to come over once a week or so to spot clean. I know this is petty but with 5 kids, both of us working full time jobs, and spring sports gearing up... the messy house is causing me so much anxiety it just isn't even worth it to me anymore. I'd rather ask for help then to keep letting it stress me out. I'm not opposed to cleaning but am treading water just keeping up with the surface stuff that I never get to the deep cleaning. Also, when my niece comes over me and the hubs will be able to go on a much needed date once a month... I bought some Groupons, a fandango gift card (with bonus ticket), got a free appetizer from the TGIFridays ipod app...

So I'm sure this will slow down my debt dumping as this was money I could have funneled to debts... but sometimes you just gotta do what it takes to keep your sanity.
Nikki ~ Wife to 1, Mom to 5 (DD10, DSD10, DD7, DS4, DD2)! FW Cabins: Feb 17-24, 2012 (Free Dining!), BWV Studio Feb 9-12, 2013 (Mom & Dad only!) AKL Value 2 Bedroom: Apr 21-26, 2013 (Kids allowed this time!)With a SURPRISE trip to Legoland, Fl
clintswifeymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #438
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark
DH has had 2 interviews in the past 2 weeks, for the same company, which looked hopeful. He was notified this morning that he didn't get the position. God is surely putting us through a test.
Could be God has a great job lined up but these interviews are helping him get prepped for the interview for the "great" job!!! keep smiling!!!
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #439
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintswifeymomof4 View Post

So I'm sure this will slow down my debt dumping as this was money I could have funneled to debts... but sometimes you just gotta do what it takes to keep your sanity.
absolutely. Everyone defines a 'need' differently. Once we get ourselves on a right track, i, too, will be acquiring a housekeeper for once a week. I make much more than it would cost and the messy house causes me much stress as well.

if you work, make it so you can enjoy what precious little time you have at home with your family. THAT is a need in my book.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #440
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

You guys are great motivators!

Susiesark, good vibes headed your way for a new job for your dh. We went through that in 2008. Dh ended up going back to school and starting in a new field. Part of the reason we have some debt piled up ... Somedays it seems like you'll never get ahead, but things will work out.

So I paid off another credit card today! Although it only had a $7 balance.

But, looking at my statement online I noticed they had increased my credit limit to $18000 on that card. I guess they do that to intice you to use it. Anyways, for fun, I looked up my other limits (I have 3 cards - 2 we don't really use - just if there's a promo for points. ). So between our LOC and 3 credit cards, I can charge up $78,000. Another disney trip, here I come. 2 bdr. club level? No problem!!

LOL but seriously what are they thinking giving us, who could never possibly pay that if we charged it up, that amount of credit???

I know we have a good credit rating. Does it help our credit rating to leave these with the available amounts and no debt on it? Or cancel?

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #441
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
You guys are great motivators!

Susiesark, good vibes headed your way for a new job for your dh. We went through that in 2008. Dh ended up going back to school and starting in a new field. Part of the reason we have some debt piled up ... Somedays it seems like you'll never get ahead, but things will work out.

So I paid off another credit card today! Although it only had a $7 balance.

But, looking at my statement online I noticed they had increased my credit limit to $18000 on that card. I guess they do that to intice you to use it. Anyways, for fun, I looked up my other limits (I have 3 cards - 2 we don't really use - just if there's a promo for points. ). So between our LOC and 3 credit cards, I can charge up $78,000. Another disney trip, here I come. 2 bdr. club level? No problem!!

LOL but seriously what are they thinking giving us, who could never possibly pay that if we charged it up, that amount of credit???

I know we have a good credit rating. Does it help our credit rating to leave these with the available amounts and no debt on it? Or cancel?

Congrats on paying off your cc, even if it only was a $7 balance!! I noticed too once I get a card paid off I end up with a credit increase. I do believe though, that you could take everyone on this thread with you to Disney..... since you have $78,000 I would be willing to stay at Pop.... I don't even need club level
I look at my credit limits and think why in the world do they give me so much credit (even though I have a great score) because like you, if I charged to the max on all of them I could never afford to make the minimum payments!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #442
vegasnative
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It does "hurt" your rating when you close/cancel a card, but not for long. A few months maybe, and it is just a few points that are easily earned back with good payment history. I think I read somewhere in DR's book that he actually suggests closing one (if you have multiple), then wait a few months and close another. I also believe it helps your credit rating the more credit you have available. For example if you have a cc with a $10,000 limit and you have all $10,000 available that is better (both rating wise and debt wise) than if you had that same limit but owed $8,000.

Sorry, not good at explaining myself, I hope that makes sense.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #443
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
Congrats on paying off your cc, even if it only was a $7 balance!! I noticed too once I get a card paid off I end up with a credit increase. I do believe though, that you could take everyone on this thread with you to Disney..... since you have $78,000 I would be willing to stay at Pop.... I don't even need club level
I look at my credit limits and think why in the world do they give me so much credit (even though I have a great score) because like you, if I charged to the max on all of them I could never afford to make the minimum payments!
I wonder how many DVC contracts I can get with $78,000 .....

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #444
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
i wonder how many dvc contracts i can get with $78,000 .....

lol!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #445
latmck
Mouseketeer

Our tax refund was less than what we accept. I paid off a small personal loan. I wanted to pay down a couple of credit cars but both cars need major repairs. One is not working at all, both are paid off. I'm so frustrated that I can't find a job not even a part time job that work with the kids' school schedule and dh work schedules (working 2 jobs now).
latmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #446
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

We got ourselves into a crazy amount of debt last year because I had both kids in daycare. I racked up a credit card debt of $10000 by this time last year, trying to cover everything. Sad to think that if I hadn't taken a full-time job, I would be even MORE in debt.

Well, I just got got my book deal # in and paid off the last of it! Woo hoo!

And best of all, my kids are older now so daycare is much less expensive. Now-- to concentrate on pre-paying for summer camp and next year's tuition.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #447
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by latmck View Post
Our tax refund was less than what we accept. I paid off a small personal loan. I wanted to pay down a couple of credit cars but both cars need major repairs. One is not working at all, both are paid off. I'm so frustrated that I can't find a job not even a part time job that work with the kids' school schedule and dh work schedules (working 2 jobs now).
Congrats on paying off your loan
Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #448
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
We got ourselves into a crazy amount of debt last year because I had both kids in daycare. I racked up a credit card debt of $10000 by this time last year, trying to cover everything. Sad to think that if I hadn't taken a full-time job, I would be even MORE in debt.

Well, I just got got my book deal # in and paid off the last of it! Woo hoo!

And best of all, my kids are older now so daycare is much less expensive. Now-- to concentrate on pre-paying for summer camp and next year's tuition.
Did you write a book? What kind?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #449
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
Did you write a book? What kind?
Yes it is YA, it's my 6th and 7th books, actually.

The problem with being a writer is . . . no steady paycheck. So it's always either feast or famine! This year I am lucky to be on a feast year, but next year is already making me nervous.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #450
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers View Post
Yes it is YA, it's my 6th and 7th books, actually.

The problem with being a writer is . . . no steady paycheck. So it's always either feast or famine! This year I am lucky to be on a feast year, but next year is already making me nervous.
Not to sound stupid, but what is YA?? And congrats on the books

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: