Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #421
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintswifeymomof4 View Post
Hey dumpers... just a bump to update today...

Worked on my March budget spreadsheet today. Set up some automatic transfers into savings (worked these into the budget for the first time in my life!).

We get our income tax refund in 2 weeks and I'm using it to buy our April tickets (around $2k and $1k for food) and the entire balance of another cc (about $3500). I opted to use the $1k to pay cash for our food/gas for our trip instead of paying off another low balance cc and then running it up on our trip. I think this way I will be more mindful of how much we spend on the trip (we are staying deluxe dvc and are cooking in our room for breakfast and dinner and taking food into the parks for snacks/light lunch and will buy some snacks and possibly lunch and a couple of dinners out- which I will tell you about in a second). Any money we come home with in our pocket will be sent to that low balance cc and by low balance I mean $1500- low compared to my others!!!

To save money on the trip I'm going to be making some "themed" dinners in our room and bringing some inexpensive Disney plates (thanks Dollar Tree) etc to give it that little magic touch. I want to take the kids to TRex and possibly Rainforest Cafe... our trip coincides with a birthday month so for $25 I'll have $50 credit for TRex (I paid $25 to join Landry's select club but was given the $25 back as a welcome credit plus will get $25 more in April for the birthday). I'll be on the lookout for free kids meal coupons for Rainforest Cafe.

Grandparents gave kids $25 Disney gift cards for Christmas and the Easter Bunny is bringing another $25 card (thanks Sam's Club for a little discount). That's $50 each kid to spend on souvenirs that won't have to come out of our budget. Yay.

I'm about to go drag out some old textbooks from the garage and see if I can find a buyer via Amazon or Ebay... any $ is a $ towards debt payoff and I'm ready to sell anything not tied down!

Save your money and don't bother with Rainforest Cafe, it has been terrible the last few times we have been. T-Rex is much much better as is the experience.

I wrote some checks to pay off some small balances on a few medical bills, I think they are all paid off now, but I may have a couple with small copays from my surgery in December and I'm due a refund from my Podiatrist as soon as this last visit is processed.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #422
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
Save your money and don't bother with Rainforest Cafe, it has been terrible the last few times we have been. T-Rex is much much better as is the experience.

I wrote some checks to pay off some small balances on a few medical bills, I think they are all paid off now, but I may have a couple with small copays from my surgery in December and I'm due a refund from my Podiatrist as soon as this last visit is processed.
Congrats on getting some of the small bills paid off
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #423
fun4me
Mouseketeer

Everyone is doing to good!

It has been a few weeks since we've been able to send extra to our debt. DH 's pay fluctuates since he works on commission. We are holding even...able to pay current bills but that is all right now. Next week we have an appointment to get our taxes done and hopefully will get a refund big enough to pay off 1 Cc.. I'm ready to kick this debt to the curb! :-)
fun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #424
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4me View Post
Everyone is doing to good!

It has been a few weeks since we've been able to send extra to our debt. DH 's pay fluctuates since he works on commission. We are holding even...able to pay current bills but that is all right now. Next week we have an appointment to get our taxes done and hopefully will get a refund big enough to pay off 1 Cc.. I'm ready to kick this debt to the curb! :-)

Good luck on your taxes! Hoping you receive enough to pay off that cc
Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #425
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
My DH has been out of work for a whopping 23 months, and we don't qualify for any type of unemployment benefits.
DH has had 2 interviews in the past 2 weeks, for the same company, which looked hopeful. He was notified this morning that he didn't get the position. God is surely putting us through a test.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #426
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DH has had 2 interviews in the past 2 weeks, for the same company, which looked hopeful. He was notified this morning that he didn't get the position. God is surely putting us through a test.
Sorry to hear that your husband did not get the position. Sending good vibes your way Hope your husband finds a job soon!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #427
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
Congrats on getting some of the small bills paid off
Thank you. DH got the work done on the van today, one more thing out of the way.

Quote:
I'm sorry. My husband's company officially closed on Jan 12th, but he has remained working there and will until they completely clear out the warehouse. He has put in many applications and resumes and nothing. He did go to an interview this morning and the boss called out sick just before he got there, he is supposed to call back in the morning to schedule a test drive, I hope it works out and he gets this job.

At least they had the courtesy to let your DH know he didn't get the job. My DH got e-mails from 2 positions he applied for that he didn't get the job and he was never even called for an interview.

As hard as it is accept, God never gives you more than you can handle, but he sure loves to test us and many times we feel that it is more than we can handle. I have been there and done that and got the t-shirt.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #428
twinmommyks
DIS Veteran

Just curious what would you do. We have ER fund of 8 months and both have 401ks, kids have mutual funds/savings. We received a tax refund of 4,000 (have alot withheld since we don't know year to year what dh's 1099 will be). My question is: would you pay off some 0 percent cards from the refund or would you keep making monthly payments and put the whole refund in savings. Both cards will be paid off before the date interest starts. We have no problem making the payments each month as it is about $200/month. The amount on the cards are $450 and also about $1,000.

The saver in me says to put it in savings but I hate wiring those checks each month to the cc companies. Just wondering your thoughts.
2006 - DL - CCI
2008 - DCL Wonder
2012 - WDW
twinmommyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #429
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommyks
Just curious what would you do. We have ER fund of 8 months and both have 401ks, kids have mutual funds/savings. We received a tax refund of 4,000 (have alot withheld since we don't know year to year what dh's 1099 will be). My question is: would you pay off some 0 percent cards from the refund or would you keep making monthly payments and put the whole refund in savings. Both cards will be paid off before the date interest starts. We have no problem making the payments each month as it is about $200/month. The amount on the cards are $450 and also about $1,000.

The saver in me says to put it in savings but I hate wiring those checks each month to the cc companies. Just wondering your thoughts.
I would pay them. You won't get much interest leaving that money in savings. If want it out of my hair. And you'll still have over half for savings. But I know some will disagree with me.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #430
NorCalGal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazi View Post
We also dumped Comcast a few years ago, best thing ever! We now have no cable, no home phone, no Hulu or Netflix and no standard Internet. We only have cells and they have a hot spot with them. It saves so much money and we just watch movies. We live somewhat near to a larger city so we do get about 40 channels just on our little butterfly antenna that sits flat atop our tv. We watch ABC's Once Upon A Time every Sunday and that's about it. I know our way is not for everyone but it definitely works for us.
I agree. I "temporarily" got rid of cable several years ago because I changed jobs and needed to cut expenses drastically in order to not go into debt each month. I always assumed that when I could afford it, I would get cable again. I never have. After the first couple months, I didn't even miss it.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #431
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

i have paid off 3 cc in the last week and made substantial progress on 3 others. Iplan to pay off 3 more on Wednesday.

this is fun!!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #432
treeface
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne

Thank you. DH got the work done on the van today, one more thing out of the way.

I'm sorry. My husband's company officially closed on Jan 12th, but he has remained working there and will until they completely clear out the warehouse. He has put in many applications and resumes and nothing. He did go to an interview this morning and the boss called out sick just before he got there, he is supposed to call back in the morning to schedule a test drive, I hope it works out and he gets this job.

At least they had the courtesy to let your DH know he didn't get the job. My DH got e-mails from 2 positions he applied for that he didn't get the job and he was never even called for an interview.

As hard as it is accept, God never gives you more than you can handle, but he sure loves to test us and many times we feel that it is more than we can handle. I have been there and done that and got the t-shirt.
I totally understand. DH lost his job here in mid September and we were not at all prepared. We were making it month to month, and had a plan in place to pay down debt, now everything had changed. He had several interviews over 4 months, even multiples for the same company, but no offers came. Meanwhile, I had to pick up insurance, cutting my take home pay by 35% and the leftover was to live on. We did not do birthdays or Christmas (except my son and 2 nieces because I shop ahead) and relied a lot on the generosity of friends. DH finally got a job a month ago, less that 50% of previous pay, but it is enough to pay everything.

We are still trying to get caught up on some things that got behind, but we will make it work. Of course, it helps that my car is paid for next month and his will be paid in August.

I pray every night for guidance and sometimes feel scared and alone, but know that in just 4 weeks from today when my last car payment clears, the road ahead will look brighter.

1972 Offsite 1978 Offsite, 1985 Buena Vista Palace 1992 Offsite, 1994 Travelodge (Disney Village)
1996 POFQ 1997 CBR 2002 WL 2003 AKL 2006 POFQ/AKL 2006 WL Concierge MVMCP
2007 SSR 2007 OKW, 2008 ASM & OKW, 2009 Pop & SSR, 2009 BCV
treeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #433
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

I know that things are hard right now- we're trying to think positively about our job situation.
DH and I both work for the same company, and we've been hearing talk that we might be having a RIF next month. We're hoping not (kind of got comfortable with our current incomes), but I've already warned him that we'd have to greatly reduce spending if/when that happens.

And I still have medical bills rolling in from my surgery last April- I try to get them paid as soon as I get notified that they've posted to the website. I'm so thankful that we have medical insurance to cover most of the bills- but some of it is still ours to pay.

We can all do this- and encouragement is the best way to help each other along!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #434
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommyks

I would pay off the cards and put the leftover money in savings. I also have zero percent interest on my card but I want it paid off!! Then the money you don't have to put towards your credit card you can dump in your savings.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #435
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmom
i have paid off 3 cc in the last week and made substantial progress on 3 others. Iplan to pay off 3 more on Wednesday.

this is fun!!
You are doing an awesome job!! Congrats on getting them paid off!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: