Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #406
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Welcome! You can do this $1 at a time. That is what we are all doing.
^ agreed!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #407
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemommy View Post
Tons of debt here

Hoping to be able to read all 27 pages of this thread, it looks pretty inspiring. My hubby had surgery last October so not only is there lots of med bills, but he was off work for 2 months. Wish we still got a huge tax refund but we changed our withholding because everyone told us it was bad to get that big check. Maybe so, but it would be nice now LOL

I can't even bring myself to tell you how much debt we have. It's a lot. We are trying, though. Baby steps!

Welcome to the board! You will find alot of inspiration when you read through all the threads. Just remember, every little bit extra towards a cc or medical bill will get you out of debt faster! Even if it's only an extra $1 like the other post said.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #408
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Well, I just paid $2700 towards my credit card Not as much as I wanted to, but am still on track. Hope to still be able to meet my March 16th payoff, and if not I will definately hit the March 27th payoff.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #409
beansmom
Your dream eludes you? Don't you know that a dream is a wish your heart makes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
Well, I just paid $2700 towards my credit card Not as much as I wanted to, but am still on track. Hope to still be able to meet my March 16th payoff, and if not I will definately hit the March 27th payoff.
"go, gracie..go, gracie"
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #410
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemommy
Tons of debt here

Hoping to be able to read all 27 pages of this thread, it looks pretty inspiring. My hubby had surgery last October so not only is there lots of med bills, but he was off work for 2 months. Wish we still got a huge tax refund but we changed our withholding because everyone told us it was bad to get that big check. Maybe so, but it would be nice now LOL

I can't even bring myself to tell you how much debt we have. It's a lot. We are trying, though. Baby steps!
Don't be embarrassed! We are all here to support, not judge! We have a lot if student loan debt that I haven't even factored in her, as I want to pay off CCs and medical bills and need the motivation of not counting them yet. My DH was laid off in 2009 and when he found a job, it was 50-60% less than what he was making. You are definitely not alone! Keep up the good work of even just making it point to take control over finances rather than them controlling you!
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #411
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1
Yay!!!!!
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #412
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Fingers crossed for you!

Today was payday and I knocked one of my CC balances under $1000. Getting there!
Woohoo!! I hate seeing under $1000 in balances because it taunts me. I have one CC, the first I want to pay off and it's down to $499 and I want to pay is off so bad, but I opted to pay off tuition first.

Quote:
Tons of debt here

You don't have to tell us. But use some of the worksheets in the beginning of this thread to lay it all out there in black and white for you and your hubby.
Seeing it all on paper really helps.

Last edited by BernardandMissBianca; 02-18-2013 at 11:47 AM.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #413
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Paid off tuition this week for the little kids, glad that is over. My goal is to start putting this away now for next year, to pay it in full by September, $7500.

We also caught up on all the Amex cards. Unfortunately DH uses these for work so we pay it off and refill them again. But now that work has an app for expenses, he's been able to submit expenses weekly, which is really helping.

Next up is to work on getting taxes filed.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #414
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tons of debt here

As long as you and your hubby are working together to get rid of it, it will happen.

I found that the biggest challenge - getting dh to realize that just because everyone has debt and charges everything, doesn't mean we need to! Now that he's on board and we've been putting extra $$ towards debt, I wonder, what they heck did we blow our money on??? LOL

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #415
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Paid off tuition this week for the little kids, glad that is over. My goal is to start putting this away now for next year, to pay it in full by September, $7500.

We also caught up on all the Amex cards. Unfortunately DH uses these for work so we pay it off and refill them again. But now that work has an app for expenses, he's been able to submit expenses weekly, which is really helping.

Next up is to work on getting taxes filed.

Congrats on getting the tuition paid off
Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #416
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
As long as you and your hubby are working together to get rid of it, it will happen.

I found that the biggest challenge - getting dh to realize that just because everyone has debt and charges everything, doesn't mean we need to! Now that he's on board and we've been putting extra $$ towards debt, I wonder, what they heck did we blow our money on??? LOL

I wonder the same thing about my debt, what in the heck did I buy?? Although a bit of it was surgery on the dog! But still!!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #417
clintswifeymomof4
I <3 Muscles

Hey dumpers... just a bump to update today...

Worked on my March budget spreadsheet today. Set up some automatic transfers into savings (worked these into the budget for the first time in my life!).

We get our income tax refund in 2 weeks and I'm using it to buy our April tickets (around $2k and $1k for food) and the entire balance of another cc (about $3500). I opted to use the $1k to pay cash for our food/gas for our trip instead of paying off another low balance cc and then running it up on our trip. I think this way I will be more mindful of how much we spend on the trip (we are staying deluxe dvc and are cooking in our room for breakfast and dinner and taking food into the parks for snacks/light lunch and will buy some snacks and possibly lunch and a couple of dinners out- which I will tell you about in a second). Any money we come home with in our pocket will be sent to that low balance cc and by low balance I mean $1500- low compared to my others!!!

To save money on the trip I'm going to be making some "themed" dinners in our room and bringing some inexpensive Disney plates (thanks Dollar Tree) etc to give it that little magic touch. I want to take the kids to TRex and possibly Rainforest Cafe... our trip coincides with a birthday month so for $25 I'll have $50 credit for TRex (I paid $25 to join Landry's select club but was given the $25 back as a welcome credit plus will get $25 more in April for the birthday). I'll be on the lookout for free kids meal coupons for Rainforest Cafe.

Grandparents gave kids $25 Disney gift cards for Christmas and the Easter Bunny is bringing another $25 card (thanks Sam's Club for a little discount). That's $50 each kid to spend on souvenirs that won't have to come out of our budget. Yay.

I'm about to go drag out some old textbooks from the garage and see if I can find a buyer via Amazon or Ebay... any $ is a $ towards debt payoff and I'm ready to sell anything not tied down!
Nikki ~ Wife to 1, Mom to 5 (DD10, DSD10, DD7, DS4, DD2)! FW Cabins: Feb 17-24, 2012 (Free Dining!), BWV Studio Feb 9-12, 2013 (Mom & Dad only!) AKL Value 2 Bedroom: Apr 21-26, 2013 (Kids allowed this time!)With a SURPRISE trip to Legoland, Fl
clintswifeymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #418
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

I've been 'lurking' on this page, following, trying to get motivated instead of just depressed over my situation. I work part-time for the school district, and haven't seen any kind of a raise in countless years, even though cost of living has gone way up. My DH has been out of work for a whopping 23 months, and we don't qualify for any type of unemployment benefits. He does have a small retirement check that comes every month, but not nearly enough to even cover the mortgage. When his contract job ended, I had close to 50k saved up between the checking and savings account, with no debt. That has all been wiped out, along with cashing out 2 insurance accounts, and our debt has never been higher. We live very frugally, always have, but cost of living in SoCal doesn't come cheap. Every week I think, and pray, this is the week a job will come through. We still have our daughter in a private school, the last thing I want to give up on. I've been reading your stories of paying off debt, even if it's just a small amount at a time, but honestly, we're more in the red every month. Well, thanks for listening to my venting, and thanks for the motivation.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #419
clintswifeymomof4
I <3 Muscles

I know you were only venting and not looking for "answers" so welcome to the board... we're here to listen and offer encouragement.

We can't do anything about the past but we can start making better choices for the future. I know you have no control over the job situation and I really relate to you on that. I was unemployed (I'm a teacher) for 2 years and thankfully this is my 2nd year back teaching. I have no tenure so we are year to year on my position hoping I get rehired until I reach tenure. Our debt is from "living" during those unemployed years.

I managed to sell 6 old textbooks tonight for a whopping $25.80. It's better than collecting dust in the garage. Sending it to my lowest balance cc when the check comes in (we are doing Dave Ramsey's plan).

I clipped coupons today and updated my coupon binder. Decided to send my coupon "savings" to the ccs too. I wonder if they will think its crazy to be getting $2 and $3 payments a few times a week?! Lol
Nikki ~ Wife to 1, Mom to 5 (DD10, DSD10, DD7, DS4, DD2)! FW Cabins: Feb 17-24, 2012 (Free Dining!), BWV Studio Feb 9-12, 2013 (Mom & Dad only!) AKL Value 2 Bedroom: Apr 21-26, 2013 (Kids allowed this time!)With a SURPRISE trip to Legoland, Fl
clintswifeymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #420
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
I've been 'lurking' on this page, following, trying to get motivated instead of just depressed over my situation. I work part-time for the school district, and haven't seen any kind of a raise in countless years, even though cost of living has gone way up. My DH has been out of work for a whopping 23 months, and we don't qualify for any type of unemployment benefits. He does have a small retirement check that comes every month, but not nearly enough to even cover the mortgage. When his contract job ended, I had close to 50k saved up between the checking and savings account, with no debt. That has all been wiped out, along with cashing out 2 insurance accounts, and our debt has never been higher. We live very frugally, always have, but cost of living in SoCal doesn't come cheap. Every week I think, and pray, this is the week a job will come through. We still have our daughter in a private school, the last thing I want to give up on. I've been reading your stories of paying off debt, even if it's just a small amount at a time, but honestly, we're more in the red every month. Well, thanks for listening to my venting, and thanks for the motivation.
We are all here to support and encourage getting on track with our debt. You are definitely going through a hard time with your husband being out of work, and I am so thankful that I have not had to experience that financial strain. If I were in your situation, my main goal would just to make sure that my mortgage was covered each month, and then if you have a little extra either try to put it towards a cc or put away for just in case emergencies.
Sending good vibes that your husband finds a job

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: