Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #286
Deffenm
DIS Veteran
 
Deffenm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,385

Paid off small credit card - less then $100 (won't use it again)
Saved $478 in our Emergency Fund.

Feb. going to attack remaining credit card and hope to have paid off by Oct.

Going to have DH call cable company to threaten to leave if do not reduce bill since they raised our price. It is getting out of control. Going to look at insurance policy and see if can reduce that expense as well. We also have started our garage sale pile for our annual community garage sale in May in hopes of earning extra money to put towards debt. I figured every little bit helps.
__________________
Proud Mother to 3 Adopted Blessings
DS (14)
DS (13)
DD (10)

May 2005 - AsMov
Sept. 2006 - POP
Sept. 2007 - POR
Aug. 2008 - AKL
June. 2010 - CBR (Grand Gathering)
April 2012 - POP
Oct. 2014 - POP
Deffenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #287
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffenm View Post
Paid off small credit card - less then $100 (won't use it again)
Saved $478 in our Emergency Fund.

Feb. going to attack remaining credit card and hope to have paid off by Oct.

Going to have DH call cable company to threaten to leave if do not reduce bill since they raised our price. It is getting out of control. Going to look at insurance policy and see if can reduce that expense as well. We also have started our garage sale pile for our annual community garage sale in May in hopes of earning extra money to put towards debt. I figured every little bit helps.

Way to go on paying off your first credit card

I went today and had my taxes done, and am getting more than I thought!! I have to sit down tonight and look at my budget, but it is possible that I will have it paid off by March 31st!! Which is 2 months earlier than I was pushing for

Once that is paid off then I only have my home equity loan and mortgage! And I plan on putting extra each month towards the home equity... although it will still be years before it is paid off, but that is my next goal!!

Way to go everyone for sticking with their budgets and pushing forward to get out of debt
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #288
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,456

Just filed our taxes. Wow, what a difference getting married makes!

For now that money is going to renewing OnStar for 3 years (DH insists I have it because I'll be the primary baby chauffeur) and the rest is going in to the emergency fund in case we have unexpected medical expenses from the birth.

We will probably use some of it for debt eventually, but for now I want to build up our savings so we don't have to go in to MORE debt if something happens. And we still have our excess income every month to pay down debt.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #289
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,035

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Just filed our taxes. Wow, what a difference getting married makes!

For now that money is going to renewing OnStar for 3 years (DH insists I have it because I'll be the primary baby chauffeur) and the rest is going in to the emergency fund in case we have unexpected medical expenses from the birth.

We will probably use some of it for debt eventually, but for now I want to build up our savings so we don't have to go in to MORE debt if something happens. And we still have our excess income every month to pay down debt.
That's a good idea to put it in your emergency fund for 'just in case'. I have a savings and if I really wanted to, I could pay off my credit card right now, but I have 0% interest and will have it paid before that runs out, and I hate taking out of that account 'just in case'. Like today, I found out there were problems with my septic system and the plumbers had to come take care of it asap, so I know I will have to dip in there.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #290
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!
 
danielle79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eden, NY
Posts: 269

End of January

Yay for everyone! Heres to a great first month!
__________________
ME DH DD16 DD9 DD8

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #291
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark
 
disneycrazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79
Yay for everyone! Heres to a great first month!
I agree, yeah to us all for making it thru month one, lets keep it rolling!
__________________
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #292
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,456

1 month down, 11 to go! So what are your plans for dumping debt in February?

We have a plan to have 2 cc's paid by the end of the month. I am also starting my new part time job - as a Disney Travel Specialist for a Travel Agency! However it is a commission based job so I won't be getting paid for a while. Wish me luck in drumming up business, because I have to get my own leads.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
StitchesGr8Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #293
budafam
DIS Veteran
 
budafam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
1 month down, 11 to go! So what are your plans for dumping debt in February?

We have a plan to have 2 cc's paid by the end of the month. I am also starting my new part time job - as a Disney Travel Specialist for a Travel Agency! However it is a commission based job so I won't be getting paid for a while. Wish me luck in drumming up business, because I have to get my own leads.
Good LUCK! Seriously! lol... I just became a travel agent in July and it is HARD! I thought it would be so easy to get clients but nope... I've had 2 so far and should be booking my third tomorrow... I'm offering HUGE incentives as well and people just won't bite.

I'll be paying off one credit card this month but using another one so that we can all get free flights on our next trip (will be able to pay that off completely immediately).
__________________
Trip Reports:1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
5th 6th *IN PROGRESS*
Dining Reports: DxDP 10/30/11-11/4/11, TIW Food Report, DxDP 10/2/12-10/10/12
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 9/21-9/29 POR & 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM



budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #294
Sagginit
DIS Veteran
 
Sagginit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: north NJ
Posts: 1,161

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
Yay for everyone! Heres to a great first month!
currently counting down the days for my tax refund and deciding how much to put towards the debt. i will put some away for savings for any ERs that come up. i had two car repairs in the fall back to back and it took a hit on my budget. yes i have savings but i was trying not to dip in. i did realized last night while putting away my tax docs that i paid 400 less in interest on my student loans in 2012 than 2011. that is a great sign.
__________________
*1997 Wilderness Lodge * 1998 Cornado Springs * 2009 Port Orleans * 2010 Caribbean Beach *2013 Caribbean Beach *
Sagginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #295
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!
 
danielle79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eden, NY
Posts: 269

My plans for february are to keep plugging away at the dreaded debt monster! I have a big payment that is ending this month, $309 ( not a credit card but a monthly payment plan for my daughter's upcoming trip) I hope to pay off the dentist bills in cash, about $270. I also have a small balance on my Amazon credit card from Christmas, $115. So those are my plans for the month of February! Also please send me some good vibes for any new job opportunities that may come up!
__________________
ME DH DD16 DD9 DD8

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #296
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran
 
mrssmith06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ALABAMA
Posts: 1,030

Where I am today (how far I've come in 1 month!)
Credit card #1 - PAID!
DD's Furniture - PAID!
Put $200 in savings/emergency fund.



Still need to pay off:
4 more credit cards.
1 business loan.
Dentist bill for DH.



After all of that is done, I will focus on paying our cars off, which is a lot!

We should be getting our tax refund next week and I will be able to pay off the business loan, DH's dentist bill & 1 of the credit cards that are left. Will also put some $ into savings.

I recently got into Dave Ramsey and his books... Lots of great tips though I have to tweak some of his methods. But I am really excited about getting rid of our debt!!!
__________________
mrssmith06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #297
arwood82
DIS Veteran
 
arwood82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 541

I got behind in January. Not only on dumping debt but in just paying all my regular bills. Gotta love it when you get those unexpected curve balls life throws at you. Anyway as of now I have gotten everything caught back up and was able to pay $450 extra to a CC. If I keep up at this rate it should be paid off by May 24 at the latest.
__________________
Me DH DS (4) DS (5)
arwood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #298
jenny105
DIS Veteran
 
jenny105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffenm View Post
Going to have DH call cable company to threaten to leave if do not reduce bill since they raised our price.
I need to do this too. We have DirecTV and when we first signed up we had a ton of discounts for 12 months so the bill was reasonable. Now that the discounts have run out the price doubled! And they're raising prices this month. I never wanted them in the first place but DBf wanted it for the NFL package...which he doesn't even watch because he goes to his friends house to watch the games. We had it free for the first year and then I cancelled it so why do we still have DirecTV? Because we're locked into a contract. Hate them!
__________________

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #299
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,035

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwood82 View Post
I got behind in January. Not only on dumping debt but in just paying all my regular bills. Gotta love it when you get those unexpected curve balls life throws at you. Anyway as of now I have gotten everything caught back up and was able to pay $450 extra to a CC. If I keep up at this rate it should be paid off by May 24 at the latest.
Congrats on getting back on track! Normally everytime I think I get one step ahead I get thrown two steps back by those unexpected curve balls! That is great that you will be able to have a cc paid off by May 24th
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #300
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,035

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I need to do this too. We have DirecTV and when we first signed up we had a ton of discounts for 12 months so the bill was reasonable. Now that the discounts have run out the price doubled! And they're raising prices this month. I never wanted them in the first place but DBf wanted it for the NFL package...which he doesn't even watch because he goes to his friends house to watch the games. We had it free for the first year and then I cancelled it so why do we still have DirecTV? Because we're locked into a contract. Hate them!
Have you looked at what it would cost to cancel the contract? Sometimes even when there is a fee to cancel the contract, if you look at what you would be saving with another company it comes out that you would still be saving money in the long run.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: