Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #256
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLove View Post
What about helping family pay off credit cards? How did it end up for you and them? Good decision or bad ? Did they just rack them up again? I'd like to help because as of right now I'm having to send them money anyways for basic things like food. (This has all been job related/ downsizing)
I personally am having a hard enough time paying my own debt down so paying for someone elses is out of the question right now. If I had extra $ and could help out family that needed it, I would. The thing with my family is the people I would lend money to and not mind helping out would most likely never ask me for money, and the people who would ask me for money are not very responsible with money and I wouldn't feel comfortable paying their bills! If it was my brother, my grandmother or my cousin(who is more like a sister) then yes in a heartbeat.

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #257
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
We just sold 4 dvc contracts, keeping one. We did this to cut down on the maintenance fees due to the fact that I am not working anymore. While its not credit card debt, it is a monthly fee that was getting withdrawn every month. It feels like such a relief to see where cutting out things here and there add up! Changed our cell phone contracts to NO contract prepaid (saving A LOT of $$), sold some DVC, actually shopping the sales at the different grocery stores. Cut our our pest control service, and now have more time to cook so we only eat out once every couple of weeks. Oh also cut out the newspaper and Netflix. You just would not believe how all of this adds up!!!
Good job!!! I have cut back too!!! Changed hair salons....stopped getting my nails done. Cooking more....eating out less!!! Less shopping!!!

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #258
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
Well, I got out taxes done last week and filed them electronically, and even though the IRS isn't technically accepting them until Jan 30th, ours got pulled a part of a test and will be processed early. I am really excited, I have never done them this early. We are getting a nice refund from Federal and both states that we have to file for.

I also got a notice that our house payment/escrow is going to be less this year, about $15 a month, sounds good to me.
I have also never done my taxes this early. I just did them on Turbo Tax (federal and 2 states). I got discounts on the services for filing early so I think it was at least $30.00 less than what I paid them last year. My return is also way more than I thought so I will put a chunk of that towards my loans. I just checked online and it should take about 21 days to get my refund so lets hope they don't need to review anything and I have it by the end of Feb.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #259
gracie1
DIS Veteran

I need to call today to make an appointment to get mine done, and all of it is going to my debt!

Everyone is doing a great job staying on track
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #260
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran

Has anyone switched their AT&T iPhones to Straight Talk?
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #261
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Well we did it! Month one of paying down the mortgage we stuck to it and placed an extra $3000 towards principle. It was super hard though because my fingers wanted to book a Disney trip with that money! Ahhhhhhh the agony, but the money is gone and put where it is supposed to go. Now to battle thru February. Kudos to ALL on this thread everyone is really doing well!!,
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #262
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazi View Post
Well we did it! Month one of paying down the mortgage we stuck to it and placed an extra $3000 towards principle. It was super hard though because my fingers wanted to book a Disney trip with that money! Ahhhhhhh the agony, but the money is gone and put where it is supposed to go. Now to battle thru February. Kudos to ALL on this thread everyone is really doing well!!,

Congrats on putting that much extra towards your mortgage!!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #263
AuroraRora
Princess

Great job, disneycrazi! I'm going to be facing that dilemma in May, and I think you're braver than me - I don't think I can sacrifice my WDW trip. But I'm looking to cut it down from 10 days to 5 days, and the extra $ will go towards my student loans.

I did some playing around with my snowball plan last night and I'm really excited. If I put half my tax refund towards my $6000 student loan and the other half towards all my small debts and credit cards, and then snowball all those minimum payments that I won't have anymore, I'll be able to pay an extra $400 a month to that loan. With that, and putting some of my tax refund towards it in a lump sum, I could potentially have the $6k paid off by June or July! These student loans have been on my horizon for a few years since graduation with almost no change thanks to me just paying the minimums, and the thought of suddenly having my $6k one paid off by July just continuing the way I am now, is crazy! And that's without me picking up extra hours at work and plowing the extra income entirely into my loans, which I'm hoping to do!!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #264
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
Great job, disneycrazi! I'm going to be facing that dilemma in May, and I think you're braver than me - I don't think I can sacrifice my WDW trip. But I'm looking to cut it down from 10 days to 5 days, and the extra $ will go towards my student loans.

I did some playing around with my snowball plan last night and I'm really excited. If I put half my tax refund towards my $6000 student loan and the other half towards all my small debts and credit cards, and then snowball all those minimum payments that I won't have anymore, I'll be able to pay an extra $400 a month to that loan. With that, and putting some of my tax refund towards it in a lump sum, I could potentially have the $6k paid off by June or July! These student loans have been on my horizon for a few years since graduation with almost no change thanks to me just paying the minimums, and the thought of suddenly having my $6k one paid off by July just continuing the way I am now, is crazy! And that's without me picking up extra hours at work and plowing the extra income entirely into my loans, which I'm hoping to do!!

That is great!! Once I started playing around with numbers and picking up over time, I was excited to see that I will be able to have everything paid off in May, except my home equity and mortgage. But I plan on sinking the extra money into my home equity and getting that paid off faster next! I know that will take probably 5 years but that's okay!

I am going to take a weekend away though once I pay off my debt, probably not until the fall but it is going to be a celebration weekend!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #265
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagginit View Post
I have also never done my taxes this early. I just did them on Turbo Tax (federal and 2 states). I got discounts on the services for filing early so I think it was at least $30.00 less than what I paid them last year. My return is also way more than I thought so I will put a chunk of that towards my loans. I just checked online and it should take about 21 days to get my refund so lets hope they don't need to review anything and I have it by the end of Feb.
I have used TaxAct for the last several years and get ours back in 7 days, that's what I'm hoping for this time, but since I filed early and many will try to file tomorrow, there may be a hold up, but that's ok, too, it's never taken more than 14 days for me to get the Federal back. It always takes about 14 to 30 days to get our state refun, because they pay as the money becomes available.

My first priority is some maintenance on our van, but that shouldn't take much of the refund.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #266
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazi
That is awesome!!!!
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #267
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora

Awesome way to go.....and I'm not that brave, we just cut our spring trip out......still doing the fall trip which I am gonna enjoy to the fullest because if I stick to the plan, by then we will have paid $30000!!! extra toward our mortgage! That trip is my reward, IF I CAN SURVIVE TILL THEN...ahhhhhh
You are doing awesome, keep the focus, keep the faith and stay encouraged!
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #268
gracie1
DIS Veteran

It if official, I am able to pay an additional $300 this month

I made my appointment to get my taxes done on Thursday, so I will then be able to narrow every payment down that I have to reach my May goal with. I have my fingers crossed!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #269
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazi View Post
Awesome way to go.....and I'm not that brave, we just cut our spring trip out......still doing the fall trip which I am gonna enjoy to the fullest because if I stick to the plan, by then we will have paid $30000!!! extra toward our mortgage! That trip is my reward, IF I CAN SURVIVE TILL THEN...ahhhhhh
You are doing awesome, keep the focus, keep the faith and stay encouraged!

You surely need to celebrate being able to pay $30000 towards your mortgage as extra!! I sure wish I could do that!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #270
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
It if official, I am able to pay an additional $300 this month

I made my appointment to get my taxes done on Thursday, so I will then be able to narrow every payment down that I have to reach my May goal with. I have my fingers crossed!
You can do it!!!!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: