Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #241
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraRora View Post
Good job! I love those times when you make more than usual and you can envision the money going towards something! I do consulting, and my boss called me at 7pm tonight saying she had a casefile I could work on over the weekend and get paid on Monday, and I SO didn't want to get up off the couch and go pick it up and take on more work over the weekend. But I made myself do it, and now I'm so glad because its 3am, but I'm halfway done and when I drop it off on Monday, it'll almost pay my rent. I'm so glad we have each other to keep the motivation going!!
Thanks AuroraRose, I was so excited to post as soon as I got home from work (I am a server) I have had a terrible schedule this month and made a lot of $$$ last night and also had a conversation with my scheduling manager about what I need to do to get more shifts. I also submitted two resumes this past week and will be submitting another this week!

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #242
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
Thanks AuroraRose, I was so excited to post as soon as I got home from work (I am a server) I have had a terrible schedule this month and made a lot of $$$ last night and also had a conversation with my scheduling manager about what I need to do to get more shifts. I also submitted two resumes this past week and will be submitting another this week!

Good luck with picking up some extra shifts
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #243
danielle79
Dreaming of the Castle!

Thanks Gracie1! I was pretty happy, hoping this week is better. Also trying to get Sunday switched so I can go to my church's souper bowl sunday! I hate working Sundays but if I can't switch it I need the money so I will work. It's a big soupfest!

danielle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #244
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle79 View Post
Thanks Gracie1! I was pretty happy, hoping this week is better. Also trying to get Sunday switched so I can go to my church's souper bowl sunday! I hate working Sundays but if I can't switch it I need the money so I will work. It's a big soupfest!
That's pretty crafty, soupfest for souper bowl!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #245
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Ugh, losing $150 a month out of my paycheck because of the expiration of the payroll holiday, increase in health insurance premium, and adding life insurance. Could be worse though, and we still have enough to pay our bills and pay down debt. I just really hope I see that SS money again in 35 years.... ;-)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #246
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
What is that app? I was telling my brother about snowballing (he and his GF have been in debt FOR FOREVERRRRRRR) and told him about Dave Ramsey. He has a debt snowball trial on his website, but then you either buy a year or buy a month at 10 bucks each month. I told him I would ask you guys about FREE snowballing websites that you can actually log into and stay on track with. He would really like one he doesn't have to pay for. He mentioned a couple that you actually input your bank info and cc info...like LOG IN information for whatever cc/banks you use.. He is leary about using that. Any suggestions I can pass along. TIA
It is called "debt tracker". I am new to this windows 8 with app thing, i am guessing it may work like apple apps and be available on all window with app devices. it reminds me of the DR snowball available on their website except its only 1.99 and its just the debt tracker.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #247
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Ugh, losing $150 a month out of my paycheck because of the expiration of the payroll holiday, increase in health insurance premium, and adding life insurance. Could be worse though, and we still have enough to pay our bills and pay down debt. I just really hope I see that SS money again in 35 years.... ;-)

Ouch! That is a hit, $150 a month less. But good for you for looking on the positive side that you will still be able to pay extra to get out of debt

And I hope I get to see that SS money in about 35 years too!!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #248
BeachLove
Mouseketeer

debt related

What about helping family pay off credit cards? How did it end up for you and them? Good decision or bad ? Did they just rack them up again? I'd like to help because as of right now I'm having to send them money anyways for basic things like food. (This has all been job related/ downsizing)
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #249
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLove View Post
What about helping family pay off credit cards? How did it end up for you and them? Good decision or bad ? Did they just rack them up again? I'd like to help because as of right now I'm having to send them money anyways for basic things like food. (This has all been job related/ downsizing)

I don't want to speak for everyone on this thread, but considering that were all on here in hopes of getting out of our own debt, I am doubting that we are paying off someone elses.
I have helped family out before, and I will not do it again, but I had a bad experience with it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #250
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

We just sold 4 dvc contracts, keeping one. We did this to cut down on the maintenance fees due to the fact that I am not working anymore. While its not credit card debt, it is a monthly fee that was getting withdrawn every month. It feels like such a relief to see where cutting out things here and there add up! Changed our cell phone contracts to NO contract prepaid (saving A LOT of $$), sold some DVC, actually shopping the sales at the different grocery stores. Cut our our pest control service, and now have more time to cook so we only eat out once every couple of weeks. Oh also cut out the newspaper and Netflix. You just would not believe how all of this adds up!!!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #251
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
We just sold 4 dvc contracts, keeping one. We did this to cut down on the maintenance fees due to the fact that I am not working anymore. While its not credit card debt, it is a monthly fee that was getting withdrawn every month. It feels like such a relief to see where cutting out things here and there add up! Changed our cell phone contracts to NO contract prepaid (saving A LOT of $$), sold some DVC, actually shopping the sales at the different grocery stores. Cut our our pest control service, and now have more time to cook so we only eat out once every couple of weeks. Oh also cut out the newspaper and Netflix. You just would not believe how all of this adds up!!!
Wow! You really did cut down!

How do the DVC contracts work? Is it like a timeshare? Or your actually buying?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #252
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran

Just paid of personal property taxes for last year. Somehow it ended up being almost $38 more than I had figured. :-/ Oh well, at least it's paid. DH has been getting a good bit of OT, and it looks like we will be getting a FED tax refund but owing a little to state. Everything is going towards debt! I've been bugging DH to call Comcast to cancel cable (it's in his name). He's been putting it off, so I don't think he's 100% onboard with it.
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #253
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderelly5507 View Post
Just paid of personal property taxes for last year. Somehow it ended up being almost $38 more than I had figured. :-/ Oh well, at least it's paid. DH has been getting a good bit of OT, and it looks like we will be getting a FED tax refund but owing a little to state. Everything is going towards debt! I've been bugging DH to call Comcast to cancel cable (it's in his name). He's been putting it off, so I don't think he's 100% onboard with it.
Yay! That's one thing that is paid off! I am still waiting on my tax documents so I can get mine done.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #254
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1

Wow! You really did cut down!

How do the DVC contracts work? Is it like a timeshare? Or your actually buying?
Yes Disney Vacation Club (DVC) is a timeshare. They were already paid off so the annual maintenance fees were adding up. So yes we owned them but no more( well we kept one).

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #255
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Well, I got out taxes done last week and filed them electronically, and even though the IRS isn't technically accepting them until Jan 30th, ours got pulled a part of a test and will be processed early. I am really excited, I have never done them this early. We are getting a nice refund from Federal and both states that we have to file for.

I also got a notice that our house payment/escrow is going to be less this year, about $15 a month, sounds good to me.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: