Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #181
DVCisME
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssmith06 View Post
Just filed our taxes and will be using a good chunk of our refund towards our debt when it comes in!!! Can't wait, LOL.
Congrats!!!!
DVCisME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #182
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssmith06 View Post
Just filed our taxes and will be using a good chunk of our refund towards our debt when it comes in!!! Can't wait, LOL.

This is what I plan on doing too! I wish I had all my tax papers so I could file mine. Actually, the whole amount is going towards my debt. Maybe next year it can be fun money
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #183
Deffenm
DIS Veteran
 
Deffenm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,433

I hope to break even with our taxes. We try to not owe or get back anything each year. Last year we got back about $400 so if we get anything back this year it will go towards paying off credit card. I think we are only waiting on one more form and we are ready to go.
__________________
Proud Mother to 3 Adopted Blessings
DS (14)
DS (13)
DD (10)

May 2005 - AsMov
Sept. 2006 - POP
Sept. 2007 - POR
Aug. 2008 - AKL
June. 2010 - CBR (Grand Gathering)
April 2012 - POP
Oct. 2014 - POP
Deffenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #184
aclov
DIS Veteran
 
aclov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderelly5507 View Post
Thank you! I need to still shop around for Internet, but I don't think much is offered in the area other than Comcast. I also know that I can watch my handful of shows online, so I don't think we should keep cable for an extra $70/mo. I really hope I can find high-speed Internet/wifi for cheaper. Even if I can't, I'd be saving!
I finally called AT&T Uverse today and will be switching from Directv. They will be coming out tomorrow! I was paying Directv $140 for all the channels and AT&T internet $38...now I will be paying $95 for all channels (HBO and Cinemax will go away in 3 months or I can keep them for add'l $30) and internet (faster and with wifi) I will be charged a $50 installation fee but getting a $100 visa gc. This is a one year contract and any promotions they have going now are ending 1/27
__________________
aclov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #185
PrincessKymm
Mouseketeer
 
PrincessKymm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 114

I'm going to jump in and join. I've got about $1200 in credit cards $6k in medical bills and $7500 car loan plus $17k in student loans. I desperately need to dump some debt! This thread has been so inspiring!
PrincessKymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #186
shelwoj
Mouseketeer
 
shelwoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocqueoc, MI
Posts: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffenm View Post
I hope to break even with our taxes. We try to not owe or get back anything each year. Last year we got back about $400 so if we get anything back this year it will go towards paying off credit card. I think we are only waiting on one more form and we are ready to go.
Every year I try talking DH into doing this but he just won't budge. So the government gets a free loan every year.
__________________
Shelly
shelwoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #187
AuroraRora
Princess
 
AuroraRora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,501

I'm really excited about my tax refund - I work as an independent contractor and since this is my first year in this job, I've no idea what % to put away for taxes so I've been putting away a hefty chunk each time I get paid. I got to talking about taxes with another girl at my work, everything about our circumstances are very similar aside from her having a child. Even factoring in her kid, she worked out that I've been putting away double what I should have been. I was hoping that once I'd paid my tax bill and claimed my deductions, I'd have some money left over in my "tax account" which would effectively be my refund - now it seems closer to HALF of it maybe be left over. That would be so great!! Whatever I have, I'm putting it towards all of my smaller debts. That way I'll have a variety of minimum payments to add together and snowball into paying off a bigger debt each month.

Since I got rid of my car this month, I cancelled my insurance premium and got a pro-rated refund check in the mail today. I only had a couple of months left of it, but I put it straight towards the credit cards. It feels so good to make extra payments, no matter how small or large!
__________________
Oct '00, '02, '04 - Off-property 3 weeks each
March 06 - Spring Break
July '07 - AK Lodge 3 weeks
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #188
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclov

I finally called AT&T Uverse today and will be switching from Directv. They will be coming out tomorrow! I was paying Directv $140 for all the channels and AT&T internet $38...now I will be paying $95 for all channels (HBO and Cinemax will go away in 3 months or I can keep them for add'l $30) and internet (faster and with wifi) I will be charged a $50 installation fee but getting a $100 visa gc. This is a one year contract and any promotions they have going now are ending 1/27
That awesome!! I finally got ahold of them today and thy don't offer any Internet for my area. I would have to have a hotspot, and it wouldn't be enough for watching Netflix on TV. So, I think we are just going to dump comcast cable. We'll have to keep Internet and Netflix. I'll still be paying $60-70 a month less-- and that's with a promotion. In August my rates would jump to go knows what!
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #189
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark
 
disneycrazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderelly5507

That awesome!! I finally got ahold of them today and thy don't offer any Internet for my area. I would have to have a hotspot, and it wouldn't be enough for watching Netflix on TV. So, I think we are just going to dump comcast cable. We'll have to keep Internet and Netflix. I'll still be paying $60-70 a month less-- and that's with a promotion. In August my rates would jump to go knows what!
We also dumped Comcast a few years ago, best thing ever! We now have no cable, no home phone, no Hulu or Netflix and no standard Internet. We only have cells and they have a hot spot with them. It saves so much money and we just watch movies. We live somewhat near to a larger city so we do get about 40 channels just on our little butterfly antenna that sits flat atop our tv. We watch ABC's Once Upon A Time every Sunday and that's about it. I know our way is not for everyone but it definitely works for us.
__________________
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #190
*3*Mouseketeers
Mouseketeer
 
*3*Mouseketeers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 109

I need to join desperately!

My DH has always been very cautious with money. He believes in saving just about every penny. He has fussed at me through the years about us not saving enough and I just let it roll off my back. We both have decent jobs and have enough to pay all the bills along with a little extra. My husband's nerves in his back and legs are bad and he has trouble walking. The store where he works is not doing very well at all in this economy and he's afraid it won't be open much longer and he's afraid at his age and with his problem walking that he won't be able to find another job. The place where I work deals with government contracts of military uniforms and defense spending was cut so much that we have really been slow. That has scared me. My sweet saving DH made sure that our mortgage was paid off wayyyyyy early. And we paid off the car last year. He sold his truck (he has a company vehicle) and a classic car that he barely drives. I have a credit card that I want to get paid off ASAP (0% interest) Here are our balances:

Discover: $1500 (0% until October)
Son's Saxophone: $800
HP new computer: $930 (0% interest for 1 year)

Other than utilities, cell phone etc. these are the only bills we have. I have also started putting $100 a week into our savings account, $50 a week into a Christmas club (that I will use part of the money to pay land taxes next year) and $50 a week to pay for our house/car insurance. My company has a profit sharing plan but it's not 401K and we are not able to put anything into it, so besides savings that's the only "retirement" we have. Oy. Hopefully I will stay on the right track and pay off the above bills this year and can throw more money into savings.

Whew, glad to get that off my chest!
__________________
Me (44) ~ DS (17) ~ DD (10) We can't get DH to go...he doesn't know what he's missing, does he?


1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1991, 2001 - Offsite
2007 - Pop Century
2011 - Pop Century
2012 - ASMo
2014 - ASMu
*3*Mouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #191
gracie1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by *3*Mouseketeers View Post
I need to join desperately!

My DH has always been very cautious with money. He believes in saving just about every penny. He has fussed at me through the years about us not saving enough and I just let it roll off my back. We both have decent jobs and have enough to pay all the bills along with a little extra. My husband's nerves in his back and legs are bad and he has trouble walking. The store where he works is not doing very well at all in this economy and he's afraid it won't be open much longer and he's afraid at his age and with his problem walking that he won't be able to find another job. The place where I work deals with government contracts of military uniforms and defense spending was cut so much that we have really been slow. That has scared me. My sweet saving DH made sure that our mortgage was paid off wayyyyyy early. And we paid off the car last year. He sold his truck (he has a company vehicle) and a classic car that he barely drives. I have a credit card that I want to get paid off ASAP (0% interest) Here are our balances:

Discover: $1500 (0% until October)
Son's Saxophone: $800
HP new computer: $930 (0% interest for 1 year)

Other than utilities, cell phone etc. these are the only bills we have. I have also started putting $100 a week into our savings account, $50 a week into a Christmas club (that I will use part of the money to pay land taxes next year) and $50 a week to pay for our house/car insurance. My company has a profit sharing plan but it's not 401K and we are not able to put anything into it, so besides savings that's the only "retirement" we have. Oy. Hopefully I will stay on the right track and pay off the above bills this year and can throw more money into savings.

Whew, glad to get that off my chest!
That's good that you have 0% on these bills. That is saving you money right there. If you were looking to have the whole year to pay them off, then your looking at putting out $270 a month. That would pay everything off!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #192
Cinderelly5507
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 749

Had to share some GOOD news (for once) hopefully. My insurance raised the copay on my two meds. I since have had my new dr. write new Rx (that not technically generic are generics lol). My total before increase was $80/ month then $140/month after increase. Now, both should be $20-40/month depending on how the insurance actually processes them. I'm not exactly sure yet. Either way, a good savings per month to put into my snowball.

My husband is also calling to cancel Comcast cable and phone. We've been unhappy with their shadiness anyways. We will keep them for Internet though. So, at least another $55/mo savings (even when I add in Netflix).

Our total savings should be at least $95-$115. And as per DR, DH dropped his 12% 401k contribution. It hurt him to do so because his company matches up to 12%. I reminded him that it was only temporary. I know Dave says to do it, but was it the right thing to drop it completely???

Goo luck everyone! I'm enjoying feeling in control of the finances and seeing a light at the end of (a long) tunnel. I hope to get my coupons and shopping list ready today to shop the Kroger Mega sale tomorrow!

ETA: Most of our cc and medical debts are 0% interest. They also have the smallest balances. Should I still follow DR's baby steps and pay them off even though they are interest free?

Last edited by Cinderelly5507; 01-24-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Cinderelly5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #193
latmck
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 281

As of today, DH bank loan is paid off. The extra money will be going towards a credit card bill. DH had two interviews on Tuesday. He received a call back from a local college to work part time security. We will have a little extra coming in each month to pay down debt and build our savings back up.
latmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #194
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark
 
disneycrazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by *3*Mouseketeers
I need to join desperately!

My DH has always been very cautious with money. He believes in saving just about every penny. He has fussed at me through the years about us not saving enough and I just let it roll off my back. We both have decent jobs and have enough to pay all the bills along with a little extra. My husband's nerves in his back and legs are bad and he has trouble walking. The store where he works is not doing very well at all in this economy and he's afraid it won't be open much longer and he's afraid at his age and with his problem walking that he won't be able to find another job. The place where I work deals with government contracts of military uniforms and defense spending was cut so much that we have really been slow. That has scared me. My sweet saving DH made sure that our mortgage was paid off wayyyyyy early. And we paid off the car last year. He sold his truck (he has a company vehicle) and a classic car that he barely drives. I have a credit card that I want to get paid off ASAP (0% interest) Here are our balances:

Discover: $1500 (0% until October)
Son's Saxophone: $800
HP new computer: $930 (0% interest for 1 year)

Other than utilities, cell phone etc. these are the only bills we have. I have also started putting $100 a week into our savings account, $50 a week into a Christmas club (that I will use part of the money to pay land taxes next year) and $50 a week to pay for our house/car insurance. My company has a profit sharing plan but it's not 401K and we are not able to put anything into it, so besides savings that's the only "retirement" we have. Oy. Hopefully I will stay on the right track and pay off the above bills this year and can throw more money into savings.

Whew, glad to get that off my chest!
Great job on having that mortgage gone! & you are def doin the right things, also will send up some words for healing for your DH!
__________________
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #195
minnie1928
WDW addict
 
minnie1928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderelly5507 View Post
Our total savings should be at least $95-$115. And as per DR, DH dropped his 12% 401k contribution. It hurt him to do so because his company matches up to 12%. I reminded him that it was only temporary. I know Dave says to do it, but was it the right thing to drop it completely???
When I did our modified DR plan several years ago, we only adjusted our 401k contributions down to the company match. In your husband's case...wow, 12% match is huge! I know you're trying to pay down your debt, but you're leaving a 100% return just sit on the table. I would reinstate at least part of his 401k contribution to help minimize lost contributions from his employer.
__________________
Kelly


LMT Loser and proud of it!

U u
minnie1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: