Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #106
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkkinsmom View Post
Here Here!

My husband is Native American. On the forms for my kids' school the choice is Native American. He is Apache, and yes, they were named that by another tribe, it means enemy. My oldest DD's first day of kinder they told her to sit "criss cross applesauce". She had no idea what they were talking about. When the other kids did it automatically, she said "OOOOOHH! Indian Style!" Her Kinder teacher told her that they didn't say that, they said criss cross applesauce. She came home and told hubby about it, you should've seen his face. Keep in mind that DD isn't quite as dark as hubby, but she definitely looks "Native American" with the dark hair and eyes (or most see Spanish). So he coached her in what to say, and when she returned to Kinder she promptly went to her teacher and said, "My daddy says that I'm Apache and I can sit Indian Style if I want to."

That's great!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #107
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

Talk about relevant to the conversation.....

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/09/washin...t-name-change/
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
bunkkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #108
mjantz
DIS Veteran

To add to the 'people' mascots, we have the Dallas Cowboys. Also, the mascot for the University of Oklahoma is the 'Sooner'. A Sooner was the derogatory nickname given to those who, the night before the Oklahoma Land Run, snuck into the territory & claimed the best pieces of land for themselves. So basically, thieves.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #109
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Hmmm. Another question, then. Why is it, then, that people in the US and Canada can be called westerners?
Touché!!!

CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #110
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
The Asian community in the U.S. has clearly stated that they do not like the term "Oriental".
According to who? Are you their spokesperson?
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #111
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate60120 View Post
Hearing Impaired is considered highly offensive to the deaf community. "The term hearing-impaired is viewed as negative. The term focuses on what people cant do. It establishes the standard as hearing and anything different as impaired, or substandard, hindered, or damaged. It implies that something is not as it should be and ought to be fixed if possible." (Taken from the nad orgainzation).

My daughter is profoundly deaf, but wears a cochlear implant and a bone conduction hearing aid. She self identifies as hard of hearing, but never deaf.
I'm hearing impaired. This is the first I have heard that it is offensive.

I have a moderate/severe loss and I have worn hearing aids since I was 23. I have a rare type of loss and they only do me a little bit of good. I lip read mostly. Thing is I am not near being deaf and I don't know sign language. I have been confronted with people who see I wear hearing aids and they either start screaming at me or they assume I know sign language .

I would much prefer "hearing impaired" to "hard of hearing". As a PP mentioned that "hard of hearing" gives me the picture of a 90 year old lady holding a horn to her ear.

From your posts it seems to me there must be two totally different groups in the "broken ear" population, the deaf community and the hearing impaired community. Never in my almost 20 years of wearing hearing aids have I heard "hearing impaired" was offensive. I certainly don't take offense to it, just PO'd to be a member!

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #112
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelsGoingToDisney View Post
I'm hearing impaired. This is the first I have heard that it is offensive.

I have a moderate/severe loss and I have worn hearing aids since I was 23. I have a rare type of loss and they only do me a little bit of good. I lip read mostly. Thing is I am not near being deaf and I don't know sign language. I have been confronted with people who see I wear hearing aids and they either start screaming at me or they assume I know sign language .

I would much prefer "hearing impaired" to "hard of hearing". As a PP mentioned that "hard of hearing" gives me the picture of a 90 year old lady holding a horn to her ear.

From your posts it seems to me there must be two totally different groups in the "broken ear" population, the deaf community and the hearing impaired community. Never in my almost 20 years of wearing hearing aids have I heard "hearing impaired" was offensive. I certainly don't take offense to it, just PO'd to be a member!
That would be Deaf community with a capital D. It's a political issue. There are many profoundly deaf individuals in the US who are happy to be deaf, and who would not want to hear even if that option was offered to them. These are the folks who oppose the use of cochlear implants, and who are sometimes quoted as being disappointed if their children are born Hearing.
They feel that their culture is unique and do not view themselves as being disabled in any way -- and they don't like the idea that deafness should be "cured".
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: