Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #61
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

I hate criss cross applesauce. Hate it. I can see why we abandoned "Indian style," but what is wrong with saying cross legged? And if a teacher had told me as a child to sit on my pockets, I am sure I would have argued with a straight face that my outfit HAD no pockets. Then she would have said, "Sit where you would sit if you had pockets," and I would have told her pockets could be anywhere on an outfit, so it would have gotten ugly fast. I wouldn't have been being a smart mouth. I would have been completely serious. No, better to tell me to sit on my rear end. Come to think of it...........where else DO you sit???????
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #62
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyanna girl View Post
We live close to the University of Louisiana at Monroe. I attended school there, my daughter is presently attending, and my husband and older daughter graduated from there. (Also had children graduate from La Tech, LSU, and University of Arkansas at Monticello).

ULM was once known as Northeast Louisiana University NLU. For 75 years we were know as the NLU Indians. A couple of years ago The Indian mascot was retired because of NCAA restrictions against Indian themed mascots which were considered "hostile and abusive" by Native Americans. Who knew? All those years we thought we were honoring our Indians. In 2006 our new mascot became the Warhawk honoring Maj. Gen. Claire Lee Chennault's United States Army Air Corps World War II unit's Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. General Chennault was born in Texas but raised in Louisiana.

Thoses of us who attended during the Indian mascot years will always fondly remember him and our doing the Tomahwak chop while the band played!

By the way, The University of Louisiana at Monroe Water Ski Team won their 24th national championship title this fall. We also have a beautiful bayou running through our campus.

So, while my youngest daughter may graduate as a Warhawk and we have numerous tee shirts sporting pictures of "Ace the Warhawk" some of us will forever be Indians in our hearts and proud of the fact.

Penny
And it isn't just the "Indian" mascots. Ole Miss had to retire Colonel Reb. They got to keep the mascot of Rebels, but now they have some bear jumping up and down on the sidelines. I don't understand the outcry of Colonel Reb. They also are not longer allowed to play From Dixie With Love and let me tell you, that was a fantastic thing to hear during their games.

I love that the Seminoles fought to let Florida State keep them as their mascot. I can't imagine a FSU game without the planting of the spear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife View Post
See, that's why the proper term is "y'all".

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #63
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Why not? Is 'bottom' a bad word now?
Maybe the school is full of British expats.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #64
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
One that I hear often on House Hunters International is the term "Ex-Pat". They seem to use it regarding anyone that moves to another country from Europe, the US or Canada.
What do you mean for that one? It's expat, short for expatriate which just means someone who is living in a country other than the one they were brought up in. I'm an expat and I don't think I've heard it used in a derogatory manner or am I misunderstanding your post?

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #65
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
So does that make residents of the United States, United Statesians? Some people from Central America-not sure about South America or Canada- get riled when people from the US refer to themselves as Americans because they're American too.
This was told to me way back in the dark ages when I went to school. It is one of those nuggets that just stuck with you. I don't remember what teacher said it but said basically Canada & Mexico are also part of America (she didn't get into Central & South) --so they are also American's.

I think the story was about someone visiting Canada and telling the shopkeepers that they were American. Being in Canada & part of North America, so were the shopkeepers. Of course, the teacher didn't give us any other term to USE but basically the gist was United States weren't the only American's. This was either grade school or jr. high so I'm a bit fuzzy on how the whole thing played out.

I know that isn't how it is referred to here -- you are either Canadian, American or Mexican. So...in reality, following that protocol we should be "United States of American" when referring to nationality but no one is going to say that -- we like one word descriptions too much.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #66
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
where else DO you sit???????
With my kids and even DH -- that would be on your legs/knees! My DH is always sitting with one foot under him. I guess technically it would be kneeling but you are have your knees under your rear....so that is sitting.

Who know such simple things would be so complicated. I also have kids that would argue with a completely serious concept of the I have no pockets. Also...I laugh thinking about all the food connections yet we are complaining about the unhealthy food in the schools & taking everything out -- yet how you sit is now being defined as a food & apparently hands are spoons. Makes me feel like baking or something.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #67
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151 View Post
What do you mean for that one? It's expat, short for expatriate which just means someone who is living in a country other than the one they were brought up in. I'm an expat and I don't think I've heard it used in a derogatory manner or am I misunderstanding your post?
I've heard it in a negative term (not on HHI). As if the person was kicked out of their home country.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #68
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
I've heard it in a negative term (not on HHI). As if the person was kicked out of their home country.
weird, I have never heard that.

Where I live, I am in one way an "ex pat" but t s also used to differentiate between those on short term contracts who do not pay German taxes ("ex pat contracts") and those of us on long term full German contracts. Either way, I have never heard is as an insulting term (here, in Spain or in Mexico--all places I have experience with being a part of the ex pat community).

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #69
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
The only Middle Eastern that I knew was from Iran but preferred to be called Persian. I'm not sure if that was the PC term or her own personal preference.
DH had a friend in college whose family originated in Iran, but also described himself as Persian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyanna girl View Post
We live close to the University of Louisiana at Monroe. I attended school there, my daughter is presently attending, and my husband and older daughter graduated from there. (Also had children graduate from La Tech, LSU, and University of Arkansas at Monticello).

ULM was once known as Northeast Louisiana University NLU. For 75 years we were know as the NLU Indians. A couple of years ago The Indian mascot was retired because of NCAA restrictions against Indian themed mascots which were considered "hostile and abusive" by Native Americans. Who knew? All those years we thought we were honoring our Indians. In 2006 our new mascot became the Warhawk honoring Maj. Gen. Claire Lee Chennault's United States Army Air Corps World War II unit's Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. General Chennault was born in Texas but raised in Louisiana.

Thoses of us who attended during the Indian mascot years will always fondly remember him and our doing the Tomahwak chop while the band played!

By the way, The University of Louisiana at Monroe Water Ski Team won their 24th national championship title this fall. We also have a beautiful bayou running through our campus.

So, while my youngest daughter may graduate as a Warhawk and we have numerous tee shirts sporting pictures of "Ace the Warhawk" some of us will forever be Indians in our hearts and proud of the fact.

Penny
I was in school at ULM when the mascot change happened. So I ended up with a few t-shirts with the original Indians mascot on them, and some with the new Warhawks mascot on them.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #70
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post
This was told to me way back in the dark ages when I went to school. It is one of those nuggets that just stuck with you. I don't remember what teacher said it but said basically Canada & Mexico are also part of America (she didn't get into Central & South) --so they are also American's.

I think the story was about someone visiting Canada and telling the shopkeepers that they were American. Being in Canada & part of North America, so were the shopkeepers. Of course, the teacher didn't give us any other term to USE but basically the gist was United States weren't the only American's. This was either grade school or jr. high so I'm a bit fuzzy on how the whole thing played out.

I know that isn't how it is referred to here -- you are either Canadian, American or Mexican. So...in reality, following that protocol we should be "United States of American" when referring to nationality but no one is going to say that -- we like one word descriptions too much.
When I lived n Spain, my host family always referred to a relative who lives n Argentina as "The American"--"American" meant anything in North or South American to them.

Since then, I generally just say "I am from the US" rather than "I'm American"

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #71
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is funny.

While was I working in China, there were a lot of expats in my company. All the expats glady called themselves expats. As a matter of factor, there was one or two snobbish ones who always liked to point out how them expats were different from our local hires.
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #72
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is weird- maybe they didn't understand how the term is used? I suppose you can use any word in a negative way, but it's definitely not considered a non PC term within the expat community.

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #73
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
So does that make residents of the United States, United Statesians? Some people from Central America-not sure about South America or Canada- get riled when people from the US refer to themselves as Americans because they're American too.
The Italian language actually has a term for someone who is from the USA: "statunitense".

"americano" would be anyone from the Americas, including, but not exclusively, someone from the USA.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #74
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

Add me to the list of those who have never heard the term, "ex-pat" used in a negative or derogatory manner.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #75
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

I had no idea that the term "jipped" was offensive. I didn't realize that the correct spelling was "gypped" and had NO idea that it was in negative relation to gypsies. I felt awful when I found that out, because it's a term that was common in our area so we all grew up using it. I just thought it meant "Short changed."

I went to high school where we were the Redskins. They just changed to a Spartan this past year. That led me to wonder, what if the Spartans were still around? Would they find that offensive? A neighboring high school still is the Warriors.

As a teacher, I use a variety of words in my classroom to remind kids what body part to sit on: fanny, tush, hindquarters, derričre. My students are ladies and gents, guys and girls, gentlepeople, folks, people, 7th graders, etc.

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: