Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #46
lucyanna girl
My hair looks like Tigger spit out a hairball!
I have alot of AFV moments in my life.
he was no match for a scared mama with a water ski
I'm a Cheerios Girl Myself

We live close to the University of Louisiana at Monroe. I attended school there, my daughter is presently attending, and my husband and older daughter graduated from there. (Also had children graduate from La Tech, LSU, and University of Arkansas at Monticello).

ULM was once known as Northeast Louisiana University NLU. For 75 years we were know as the NLU Indians. A couple of years ago The Indian mascot was retired because of NCAA restrictions against Indian themed mascots which were considered "hostile and abusive" by Native Americans. Who knew? All those years we thought we were honoring our Indians. In 2006 our new mascot became the Warhawk honoring Maj. Gen. Claire Lee Chennault's United States Army Air Corps World War II unit's Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. General Chennault was born in Texas but raised in Louisiana.

Thoses of us who attended during the Indian mascot years will always fondly remember him and our doing the Tomahwak chop while the band played!

By the way, The University of Louisiana at Monroe Water Ski Team won their 24th national championship title this fall. We also have a beautiful bayou running through our campus.

So, while my youngest daughter may graduate as a Warhawk and we have numerous tee shirts sporting pictures of "Ace the Warhawk" some of us will forever be Indians in our hearts and proud of the fact.

Penny
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #47
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

It seems like people look for things to be offended about. I will always refer to it as sitting "Indian style". I do not see the term "mentally retarded" as being an insult, but I don't use it just because I know some people are offended. I do understand that it is because some people use it as an insult. But, that in of itself doesn't make it an insult for everyone to use it IMO. Like I said, though...I don't use it because I don't want to hurt anyone intentionally. My DH is a cop, but I've heard some people are offended if they are called cops and want to be called officers. . Why does it matter? I never thought of Oriental as being offensive. We have restaurants that describe themselves as "Oriental cuisine" or "Oriental buffet". It just seems that the ones who usually complain how offensive something is isn't even the people who are supposedly offended.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #48
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyanna girl View Post
We live close to the University of Louisiana at Monroe. I attended school there, my daughter is presently attending, and my husband and older daughter graduated from there. (Also had children graduate from La Tech, LSU, and University of Arkansas at Monticello).

ULM was once known as Northeast Louisiana University NLU. For 75 years we were know as the NLU Indians. A couple of years ago The Indian mascot was retired because of NCAA restrictions against Indian themed mascots which were considered "hostile and abusive" by Native Americans. Who knew? All those years we thought we were honoring our Indians. In 2006 our new mascot became the Warhawk honoring Maj. Gen. Claire Lee Chennault's United States Army Air Corps World War II unit's Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. General Chennault was born in Texas but raised in Louisiana.

Thoses of us who attended during the Indian mascot years will always fondly remember him and our doing the Tomahwak chop while the band played!

By the way, The University of Louisiana at Monroe Water Ski Team won their 24th national championship title this fall. We also have a beautiful bayou running through our campus.

So, while my youngest daughter may graduate as a Warhawk and we have numerous tee shirts sporting pictures of "Ace the Warhawk" some of us will forever be Indians in our hearts and proud of the fact.

Penny
Same here--When I graduated, it was Arkansas State University Indians. Running Joe was our mascot. It is now Arkansas State University Redwolves (Godaddy.com bowl champs ). Strangely enough, I don't know one Indian who was offended, including myself (just 1/4). It was never used as an insult and just seemed sad that NCAA had to step in.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #49
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP958 View Post
I had no idea this was not correct either. Wonder what else I say that is insulting to some people?
I still call it Indian style on occassion and then have to think what the whole rhyme is with the criss cross applesauce (which I'm waiting for it to be called something else later on because somehow this is going to get twisted). If I recall sitting with your legs straight out is called pretzel rod in preschool but maybe I'm imagining that. I thought I recall my youngest saying that (or I was in on a class) -- I just remembered it both was related to food.

I can pretty much guarantee I insult someone, not intentionally but it happens. I'm just waiting for the day when I say "hey guys" = "you all" around here that some female is going to go "I'm no guy"...but I doubt I will change it since it is just typical speak around here (doesn't matter if there are no guys in the group you are addressing).

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #50
cheerful chickadee
I heart Disney World

My son (now 16) introduced me to criss cross applesauce way back in 2001 when he was in kindergarten. Now my youngest is in kindergarten and the saying is:

Criss cross applesauce..... Spoons in your bowl

It means they sit cross legged and put their hands down in their laps. I guess it's to learn to keep their hands to themselves.
April 2012 CSR
Sept 2013 CSR
cheerful chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #51
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post
I still call it Indian style on occassion and then have to think what the whole rhyme is with the criss cross applesauce (which I'm waiting for it to be called something else later on because somehow this is going to get twisted). If I recall sitting with your legs straight out is called pretzel rod in preschool but maybe I'm imagining that. I thought I recall my youngest saying that (or I was in on a class) -- I just remembered it both was related to food.

I can pretty much guarantee I insult someone, not intentionally but it happens. I'm just waiting for the day when I say "hey guys" = "you all" around here that some female is going to go "I'm no guy"...but I doubt I will change it since it is just typical speak around here (doesn't matter if there are no guys in the group you are addressing).
"You guys" is a regional thing. I'd wager that most Southern women do not like the term. It is jarring. I'll take y'all, ma'am, honey, sweetie pie or sugar ahead of "you guys" any day of the week, provided it is said politely, which it is 99.99% of the time. It's cultural. I don't think any offense is intended by someone using "you guys," so I take no offense. I don't get mad or upset. I just have a "fingernails on the chalkboard" aversion to the use of "guys" when women are being spoken to. We so rarely hear the phrase that when we do, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Being called "sugar" by some older lady, "honey" by a waitress or "ma'am" by a checker is a regular happening and intended in a warm, friendly way so it is typically taken as such. I grew up with it, as have generations before me. It is familiar to me. I can understand that to someone not used to such terms, they could be unsettling. It's just whatever you are used to.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #52
EMom
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

On being called "Asian"..........

DD was born in the Asian part of Russia. But visit her birthplace and 90% of the kids will be blonde or red haired, as is DD. Anyway, I mentioned to DD when she was younger that she was born in Asia and she looked completely confused and asked, "I'm ASIAN??????" I had to explain the finer points of that one.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #53
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post

See, that's why the proper term is "y'all".
Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #54
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *pixie*dust* View Post
In my experience, people prefer to be refered to by their country of origin. To use the blanket "Middle Eastern" label discounts their unique countries and heritage and lumps a wide variety of people in one generic group.
So does that make residents of the United States, United Statesians? Some people from Central America-not sure about South America or Canada- get riled when people from the US refer to themselves as Americans because they're American too.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #55
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underneath The Sky View Post
I don't think you should speak for the whole of the UK. I'm from Northern Ireland and over here it's considered not good taste to refer to Asian people as Oriental.
Also, over here, Asian pretty much equals Chinese/from Hong Kong. Anywhere else gets referred to by name, or a person from India is referred to as Indian and so on.

Also, Americans are just Americans over here. We only use Yank very occasionally (and then it's moreover we were making a joke about an American person).

It may just be the areas we're in, though.
OK, I'll rephrase to say, in general, the term Oriental is not offensive in the UK, but there may well be pockets where it is. I'm struggling to find a source that states it is offensive here, maybe you can find one? I'm just finding site after site after site stating that whilst it's offensive in the US, it's not offensive in the UK. It's certainly not offensive where I live.

I'll strongly stick by my statement about the term "Yank", though. From personal experience, I'd say I lost track of the number of times I was called "Yank" in oooooooh, maybe a week here (and really I'm a Brit who just speaks with an American accent!). It's pretty much constant, I don't take offense if it's not said in a derogatory manner, and yes, it happens all over the UK, including NI.

Oh, and welcome to the DIS! There's lots of us here, and I'm sure you'll quickly find that we don't always agree as to what is representative of our country.

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.

Last edited by Bonnie151; 01-08-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Bonnie151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #56
EMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
So does that make residents of the United States, United Statesians? Some people from Central America-not sure about South America or Canada- get riled when people from the US refer to themselves as Americans because they're American too.
I have little patience for people who get their knickers in a twist over that one. Let them stew if it makes them feel better, but I think they are LOOKING for a reason to be offended.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #57
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
'Mentally retarded' is the one I don't get at all. I don't use it because I know people find it objectionable, I just don't understand why.
I agree. My mother was a social worker for 30 years and she specialized in finding care for children who were mentally disabled or the parents were mentally disabled. Everyone used the term "Mentally Retarded" for years and now it's not PC. I don't understand why either.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #58
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR View Post
'Mentally retarded' is the one I don't get at all. I don't use it because I know people find it objectionable, I just don't understand why.

I'm the mom of a DD that is "mentally retarded". I don't find it offensive to use it in the correct context but it makes my skin crawl when I hear the word "retard" or "retarded" throw around as an insult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajetter View Post
One I didn't realize was not politically correct is sitting "indian-style". Now they just say "criss-cross applesauce". Is it really derogatory to refer to that seating position as indian-style? I guess I just never had any racist thoughts when I used the term myself, it just referred to that particular sitting position so I didn't see what was that wrong with it. I'm sure someone will enlighten me though... (Please no flaming, it's just one of those things I grew up getting used to and haven't given it much thought since then; my intention would never be to offend anyone.)

I also grew up calling it Indian Style but it changed to "ring sitting" when my children were in school

One that I hear often on House Hunters International is the term "Ex-Pat". They seem to use it regarding anyone that moves to another country from Europe, the US or Canada.

Last edited by daughtersrus; 01-08-2013 at 08:56 AM.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #59
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggger1 View Post
at my son's school , the teachers are not allowed to say sit on your bottom, they have to say "sit on your pockets.."
Why not? Is 'bottom' a bad word now?

What if you don't have back pockets?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #60
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife View Post
Same here--When I graduated, it was Arkansas State University Indians. Running Joe was our mascot. It is now Arkansas State University Redwolves (Godaddy.com bowl champs ). Strangely enough, I don't know one Indian who was offended, including myself (just 1/4). It was never used as an insult and just seemed sad that NCAA had to step in.
But it's ok if you are the Florida State Seminoles. Funny how sending lots of $$$$ to a tribe will make all the difference.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: