Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #46
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

One of my roommates had a call at 2 in the morning that her mother had died. I went to guest services knowing what I needed. The young person didn't have very many tools to help me - they do not have internet access at the front desk, without an upper level supervisor to access it.

I tried a few things on the internet to no avail and THEN remembered my lovely and talented travel agent. Back to the desk I went, the young man got through to stateside, who were able to connect me to her. One hour later, we had a flight.

Disney made sure the bereaved got to the Airport, and later shipped her a box full of her stuff we discovered had been left behind. I thought he did a good job with the resources he had available.

The differences were - I was not the bereaved, so not emotionally involved. And I knew what was needed and how to get it. His input was limited to suggestions, and rallying the resources he had available to meet my expressed need.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #47
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

In other medical emergencies -- directly involving passengers -- DCL has sent a crew member to the hospital to act as a family liaison and make sure they're getting all the assistance they require. I'm really surprised guest services didn't have a similar protocol already set up to help guide a distressed family member on how to make arrangements to get home. If the guest services CM didn't know what to do, surely he/she could have found a supervisor who could help. If DCL can't book the flight reservations for you, they could have at least had a sympathetic, Internet-savvy CM walk you through the procedures.

OP, sorry for your experience, but hope your brother makes a full recovery, and that DCL will be more helpful now that you have called their lack of helpfulness to their attention.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #48
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I'm another one who doesn't let family know where I'll be or how to reach me when I'm traveling. This frustrates my mother no end, but it has done so since I was in grad school. She asked, "What am I supposed to do if your father dies?" and was not happy when I suggested that she bury his body.

Bottom line, I'll only be gone a few days and there is NOTHING I can do if I am there. I choose to avoid the drama that my family is so good at generating. And I'm traveling with the only people I'd rush home to!

However, OP seems to have a different sort of family interaction and felt the need to fly back to the US...at least at that moment. In that case, I would have been communicating with my TA's emergency system. In the past, DCL has made a phone line available to guests in such a situation at no charge to the guest.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #49
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
i'm another one who doesn't let family know where i'll be or how to reach me when i'm traveling.
+1
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #50
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Again, if I was in port, I'd simply go ashore and take a taxi to the airport and take the next flight available home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
I wouldn't have known what to do, either. I believe OP was just looking for direction as she probably wasn't thinking straight and has no experience with this type of situation. I wouldn't have known you can just get off the ship with your bags in a foreign country. I never have had to think about it. Sure, it makes sense, but in a crisis situation it wouldn't have occurred to me. I would also probably not think just go book a flight online and find out the nearest airport. Sure, on land this makes total sense. But when you are on a cruise ship? I think you tend to forget it kind of works the same way on land. I think what OP was hoping for from a cm was "The nearest airport is x. You need to go online and book a flight or go directly to the airport to book a flight. You can take a taxi from the port. Make sure you have your passport. We hope everything works out ok. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance." Not that hard.
I'm not sure where people get the idea that you can just walk off the ship (or decide to not get back on the ship) and go to the airport. Did the OP even have a passport with her? (Many people on closed loop cruises do not). If she did not, she's going to have to talk to someone about getting an emergency passport, because you cannot fly from Grand Cayman or Cozumel to the US without one. Cruise ship passengers are in the countries they are under special circumstances, and it's not the same as if you flew (or drove) into the country over the border. Things do not work the same on a cruise ship as they do on land. It certainly can be done, but I'm pretty sure there are procedures that need to be followed. And I totally understand the OP wanting to know what those procedures are.

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 01-07-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #51
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyandthetramp2 View Post
Thank you to most for your kind words. DCL just called me and apologized, I did complain on the comment card when leaving the ship. They were extremely nice and truly sorry for my experience. I told them my recomendations and he said they were going to implement a better "passenger in distress" protocol. He also said that I should have gotten a different response then I did and he was very very sorry.
For the cynics out there may you never experience a love one at home in ICU fighting for their life while you are on a ship because it's the worst feeling in the world.
My brother is still hanging on fighting for his life
Thanks
I'm glad DCL followed up with you and I agree with them that you should have received a different response from GS on the ship.

Concerning your earlier comment about the rude responses. I am sorry that some people made rude comments. I think that is uncalled for, especially as you experienced a tragedy. Unfortunately, some people are just like that. Just yesterday, someone called me a troll. I think sometimes people are trying to be funny, and it comes across the wrong way. In your case, there was nothing funny about what happened to you. I hope things work out for your brother. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

Mike
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #52
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Again, I don't think anyone was rude. Just because someone doesn't see it your way does not mean they were rude. I still wonder why the OP didn't try harder to get home. And why is it so important to complain to DCL now? It appears that she has bigger issues to focus on.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #53
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
Again, I don't think anyone was rude. Just because someone doesn't see it your way does not mean they were rude. I still wonder why the OP didn't try harder to get home. And why is it so important to complain to DCL now? It appears that she has bigger issues to focus on.
The guy who suggested that perhaps she wanted to be airlifted from the boat was over the top with his comment. Perhaps it was an attempt at humor, but I felt it was rude concerning the tragedy that the OP was suffering. Obviously, the OP felt that way, because she commented about it.

Mike
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #54
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
The guy who suggested that perhaps she wanted to be airlifted from the boat was over the top with his comment. Perhaps it was an attempt at humor, but I felt it was rude concerning the tragedy that the OP was suffering. Obviously, the OP felt that way, because she commented about it.

Mike

Read the entire thread before throwing stones.

People posted their opinions and no one was intentionally rude. It was rude to call people's opinion rude IMO.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #55
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I'm not sure where people get the idea that you can just walk off the ship (or decide to not get back on the ship) and go to the airport. Did the OP even have a passport with her? (Many people on closed loop cruises do not). If she did not, she's going to have to talk to someone about getting an emergency passport, because you cannot fly from Grand Cayman or Cozumel to the US without one. Cruise ship passengers are in the countries they are under special circumstances, and it's not the same as if you flew (or drove) into the country over the border. Things do not work the same on a cruise ship as they do on land. It certainly can be done, but I'm pretty sure there are procedures that need to be followed. And I totally understand the OP wanting to know what those procedures are.

Sayhello

No passport to the Bahamas is risky. No passport to Mexico is stupid if it's even still permitted. Just got off a 4 day cruise and was watching people go thru immigration after disembarkation and did not see anyone without passports. I asked the immigration officer if a passport was required and he said "ask us and we say yes...but Disney will tell you no."
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #56
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Read the entire thread before throwing stones.

People posted their opinions and no one was intentionally rude. It was rude to call people's opinion rude IMO.
Yesterday, this guy stepped into another thread and berated the OP for not acting the way he would act, dismissed her concerns as minor and told her her problem was a superiority complex.

This seems to be a pattern with this poster, so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape by his rudeness.

Sayhello
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #57
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
No passport to the Bahamas is risky. No passport to Mexico is stupid if it's even still permitted. Just got off a 4 day cruise and was watching people go thru immigration after disembarkation and did not see anyone without passports. I asked the immigration officer if a passport was required and he said "ask us and we say yes...but Disney will tell you no."
But most people (who don't post on the DISBoards) would not call immigration and go by what Disney tells them.

Sayhello
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #58
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
It's not what Disney tells you, IT'S THE LAW. Disney tells you the truth, but the also SUGGESTS that you travel with a passport. What do you want Disney to say?
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #59
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
It's not what Disney tells you, IT'S THE LAW. Disney tells you the truth, but the also SUGGESTS that you travel with a passport. What do you want Disney to say?
I'm just quoting what the immigration officer said. If you are in Mexico and miss the boat, you can't board a plane in Mexico. DCL is doing a disservice to their customers to travel to foreign countries without a passport.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #60
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Quote:
I'm just quoting what the immigration officer said. If you are in Mexico and miss the boat, you can't board a plane in Mexico. DCL is doing a disservice to their customers to travel to foreign countries without a passport.
DCL is not the only cruise line that allows birth certificates in place of passports. It's not a disservice when Homeland Security explicitly states that they are not required for "closed loop" cruises: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-take-a-cruise

Is it still risky? Yes.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: