Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #31
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRuns 26 View Post
Agreed.

Guest Services could have assisted with an officer to show the OP how to book a flight home, but GS did the right thing by not booking a flight. Doing so would make DCL legally accountable for the OP from the time the OP steps off the ship to when the OP steps off the plane back home. That is what trip insurance is for, not DCL. OP I hope everything worked out once you got home.
Yet ironically, a cruiser can actually book their flights to and from port through DCL, so I'm at a loss to see how this beyond their capabilities. Regardless, that wasn't the service the OP was expecting of them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #32
dominiondad
Mouseketeer

I suspect I'll get attacked over this, but here goes - Disney probably doesn't consider the situation described by the OP an emergency. An emergency is when action is needed to prevent harm or provide needed assistance. In this case, the family member was already in the hospital receiving medical care. Unless the OP was donating an organ, nothing the OP was going to do, or anything Disney didn't do, was going to impact the outcome. Unless you live near your family, this situation isn't much different than if you were home. If my brother were rushed to the hospital, in order for me to respond, I would need to get to the internet, an airport, and/or a rental car company to get to him. If I happen to be at a grocery store, a school, work, mall, or vacation destination, it would still be my issue to deal with, not the management of the company I happen to be physically located within at the time.
These ships have thousands of guest, who in turn have tens of thousands of loved ones back home. I would bet that virtually every trip involves a guest who has a crisis off the ship they feel they must attend to. I think it's unreasonable for the DCL to assume we won't use our family support system, travel agents, travel insurance companies, or others in thee support network to handle these matters.
I truly hope that things have worked out for the OP and her family. It's unfortunate that anybody would have to go through such an ordeal. I can't say I've been there, because I haven't. I was overseas when my son was taken hostage by a gunman however, so I know the frustration of desprately wanting to be at the side of a loved one when you can't get there (he's fine). That said, I'm not convinced that Disney was in the wrong here.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #33
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC View Post
Well, welcome to the Disney CRUISE Line forum...

LOL That was funny and my thought exactly.

I was the one that suggest a lifeboat or helicopter. The OP said they needed help: "how I go about leaving the ship due to an emergency"

I just re-read the OP and it says, "while we were in Grand Cayman". I guess I was thinking you were 'at sea' and needed off the ship. Of course 'leaving the ship' in Grand Caymen is simply a matter of packing your bags and leaving the ship. Or am I missing something. Sorry you deemed that as rude.

I think the real 'issue' was DCL did not help the OP make her travel arrangements to get her home from Grand Caymen. I think if someone asked me that, I tood would have suggested the internet so they could find a flight at the right price and time and with the least amount of layovers, etc.

I don't think guest services is tasked with making travel arrangement for someone. Should they have the name and number of airlines available in a ports-of-call? Maybe. Or one could just go to Expedia or Travelocity and find out whatever they need to know.

Maybe it's just me but I'd much rather make my own travel arrangements. Give me computer and internet access and I'm good. I don't would not want to go thru a 3rd party....but again, that's just me.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
Melissa&Shawn
Mouseketeer

At every port, Disney should have members or tourism that they should have swiftly brought to OP's attention. I think the OP was looking for guidance - someone to help figure out how to get home quickly. I don't think they were looking for Disney to plan a return trip home, but someone to explain what the procedures were. Do I pack my bags and just leave the ship? Customs? Etc. I am very surprised to hear they offered nothing. Regardless if 10 people asked the same thing, I would expect they would have done that to all 10 people.
OP, I am so sorry to hear about your brother and would have done the same thing. I hope he is feeling better and your family is in my prayers
Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #35
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope your brother is ok.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #36
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominiondad View Post
I suspect I'll get attacked over this, but here goes - Disney probably doesn't consider the situation described by the OP an emergency. An emergency is when action is needed to prevent harm or provide needed assistance. In this case, the family member was already in the hospital receiving medical care. Unless the OP was donating an organ, nothing the OP was going to do, or anything Disney didn't do, was going to impact the outcome. Unless you live near your family, this situation isn't much different than if you were home. If my brother were rushed to the hospital, in order for me to respond, I would need to get to the internet, an airport, and/or a rental car company to get to him. If I happen to be at a grocery store, a school, work, mall, or vacation destination, it would still be my issue to deal with, not the management of the company I happen to be physically located within at the time.
These ships have thousands of guest, who in turn have tens of thousands of loved ones back home. I would bet that virtually every trip involves a guest who has a crisis off the ship they feel they must attend to. I think it's unreasonable for the DCL to assume we won't use our family support system, travel agents, travel insurance companies, or others in thee support network to handle these matters.
I truly hope that things have worked out for the OP and her family. It's unfortunate that anybody would have to go through such an ordeal. I can't say I've been there, because I haven't. I was overseas when my son was taken hostage by a gunman however, so I know the frustration of desprately wanting to be at the side of a loved one when you can't get there (he's fine). That said, I'm not convinced that Disney was in the wrong here.

Well if you get flammed, I'll feel your pain because I totaly agree with what you wrote.

This might sound strange but I hate to give out the emergency number of the ship to anyone. If something tragic happened to one of our 3 horses, 3 dogs or 2 cats, or if my house burned to the ground, I really don't need to know till I get back. The only emergency I'd want to know about is if a loved one died unexpectedy or was in a terrible accident and in ICU. So I'm assuming that is what happened to the OP. That is tragic and I'm sorry for her but I don't think DCL was at fault.

Again, if I was in port, I'd simply go ashore and take a taxi to the airport and take the next flight available home.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #37
Donna M
DIS Veteran

I'm wondering---Did you ask them about how to make a flight home, or "how to leave the ship?"

From what you say it sounds like they didn't understand you. Am I interpreting you correctly?

How come you never flew home? Was it because no one at all was able to help get the flights for you? Did you just give up or was that port at the end of the trip?

I do hope he is ok and I wish we could know what was going through their heads when you were talking to them.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #38
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

For those of you who book your cruises through a travel agent, that's one of the first phone calls I would make. That - plus a call to my trip insurance company.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #39
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

OP, your original post was not confusing at all. I am sorry you received many harsh responses especially the person who suggested that you expect DCL to pay your airfare (not sure where they got that one!). I agree with you 100%.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #40
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't have known what to do, either. I believe OP was just looking for direction as she probably wasn't thinking straight and has no experience with this type of situation. I wouldn't have known you can just get off the ship with your bags in a foreign country. I never have had to think about it. Sure, it makes sense, but in a crisis situation it wouldn't have occurred to me. I would also probably not think just go book a flight online and find out the nearest airport. Sure, on land this makes total sense. But when you are on a cruise ship? I think you tend to forget it kind of works the same way on land. I think what OP was hoping for from a cm was "The nearest airport is x. You need to go online and book a flight or go directly to the airport to book a flight. You can take a taxi from the port. Make sure you have your passport. We hope everything works out ok. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance." Not that hard.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #41
jjones144
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMomInNC

Well, welcome to the Disney CRUISE Line forum...
I know right? I am so sorry about what happened, and would definitely write a letter. I hope your brother is ok.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #42
ladyandthetramp2
Mouseketeer

Update

Thank you to most for your kind words. DCL just called me and apologized, I did complain on the comment card when leaving the ship. They were extremely nice and truly sorry for my experience. I told them my recomendations and he said they were going to implement a better "passenger in distress" protocol. He also said that I should have gotten a different response then I did and he was very very sorry.
For the cynics out there may you never experience a love one at home in ICU fighting for their life while you are on a ship because it's the worst feeling in the world.
My brother is still hanging on fighting for his life
Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #43
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Well if you get flammed, I'll feel your pain because I totaly agree with what you wrote.

This might sound strange but I hate to give out the emergency number of the ship to anyone. If something tragic happened to one of our 3 horses, 3 dogs or 2 cats, or if my house burned to the ground, I really don't need to know till I get back. The only emergency I'd want to know about is if a loved one died unexpectedy or was in a terrible accident and in ICU. So I'm assuming that is what happened to the OP. That is tragic and I'm sorry for her but I don't think DCL was at fault.

Again, if I was in port, I'd simply go ashore and take a taxi to the airport and take the next flight available home.
I agree. I never give out emergency number. If something bad happens, I do not want to know until I get home. The only time is if I was traveling solo, I would want to know about my husband and kids.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #44
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyandthetramp2 View Post
Thank you to most for your kind words. DCL just called me and apologized, I did complain on the comment card when leaving the ship. They were extremely nice and truly sorry for my experience. I told them my recomendations and he said they were going to implement a better "passenger in distress" protocol. He also said that I should have gotten a different response then I did and he was very very sorry.
For the cynics out there may you never experience a love one at home in ICU fighting for their life while you are on a ship because it's the worst feeling in the world.
My brother is still hanging on fighting for his life
Thanks
Glad to hear you got a response, and hopefully they follow through with their promise to improve their responses to situations like this. I hope your brother pulls through and makes a full recovery.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #45
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
I think what OP was hoping for from a cm was "The nearest airport is x. You need to go online and book a flight or go directly to the airport to book a flight. You can take a taxi from the port. Make sure you have your passport. We hope everything works out ok. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance."
Sounds easy, but if you were from Indonesia and had never stepped foot on Cozumel and didn't want to give an already upset guest incorrect information, it might not be.

Personally, I am not surprised by Guest Services' response. I find any cruise that involves having to go to GS for an issue turns into a bigger issue. But you also have to remember that you are dealing with people who live on a cruise ship and are from various parts of the world. They are trained (barely in my opinion) about what happens on the ship -- i.e. how to print tickets to events and shore excursions, how to charge gratuities to your account, how to apply payments to your account, looking at the Navigator and telling you what time a movie is showing, etc. They get off in these ports occassionally, not once a week. (And remember the Wonder hasn't been in the Caribbean so this particular cast member may have been more clueless about the ports than the guest.) These are not trained travel agents (the DCL employees that book flights are in Celebration, not onboard the ships). But the cast member may have thought they were being helpful in getting the OP to the first step they needed to make -- go on the internet and find a flight home.

Now, could it have been handled differently -- of course. Should the OP let DCL know that there was a disconnect somewhere in helping guests with emergencies at home, yes. Send them an e-mail, I believe the address is: dcl.guest.communications@disneycruise.com or you can go on their website. But I would be specific in what you thought was mishandled and any suggestions on how they might better train their cast members to handle similar situations. I agree with other posters that I don't know exactly what you expected them to do for you from your posts. That's why I suggest being more specific if you really want to let DCL know about your issue.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: