Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
ladyandthetramp2
Mouseketeer

NO emergency prcoedure! Just off Wonder...

Hi
I just got off the the Wonder on 1/5/13. While on the cruise I had a MAJOR medical emergency at home. When I went to guest services while we were in Grand Cayman and asked how I go about leaving the ship due to an emergency (crying the whole time) the response I got was: Buy some internet mintues and go to the computer area.
WHAT???
I could not believe they didn't have a sheet to hand me titled something like When at this port here's what to do in case of emergency-with air port phone numbers etc.
I then asked to speak to someone else and got the same answer-go use the computers
This was my 5th Disney cruise I have been to the world at least 25 times and I always had nothing but good experiences and loved the customer service MAgic that Disney provides which made this experience so puzzling and upsetting to me.
I need to write a formal complaint to Disney-does anyone know who/how I can do this?
Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

I hope everything turnout alright, DCL really has no business booking your airfare for you. That is something that you really have to do on your own. However, after you have your airline ticket, I believe that DCL will assist you significantly in getting you to the airport with you baggage ecetera. the First thing you must do is book a plane ticket. Unfortunately with emergencies, Magic is not accomplished by the wave of a wand. You are the most responsible party in booking airfare for yourself, then DCL will help you get you where you need to be.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
ladyandthetramp2
Mouseketeer

Are you serious? I didn't want DCL to book my airfare However I would have liked them to guide me in letting me know what ports had what airports etc. I would have expected them to let me use a computer. I hope and pray you never have an emergency on a cruise ship....
Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyandthetramp2 View Post
Are you serious? I didn't want DCL to book my airfare However I would have liked them to guide me in letting me know what ports had what airports etc. I would have expected them to let me use a computer. I hope and pray you never have an emergency on a cruise ship....
First, I hope everyone is OK.

Did you specifically ask "can you tell me does X port have an airport?" Or was it more of a blanket question along the lines of "there's an emergency at home and I need to leave the ship, what do I do?" In my experience, very specific questions are more likely to get responses than broader questions. Since it was not an emergency onboard or for any current passenger, I can see why DCL did not get involved.

I'm not sure but wouldn't be surprised if their computers are not necessarily online at all times - due to the expense of Internet service at sea and the slow connections; that presumably applies to the ships computers as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they have an internal network connecting the various computers onboard, and only make remote (offship) connection periodically.

I'm sure it was extremely stressful for you, and adding to that stress was disappointment at not get much help or the help you were hoping to receive. But I'm not sure it's DCL's place to accommodate that. Again, I hope everyone is OK at home now.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
JimGA
Mouseketeer

I guess there really is no procedure for leaving the ship, people miss the ship a lot at various ports.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

be polite!

I would go ahead and send a letter about your experience. Politely let Disney know how you feel. Perhaps a letter or 2 from people that had "Off" or "Bad" experiences of this type will have DCL looking at their procedures. They can then look to see what needs adjusting so that their people will have a better respone for the next person who has this happen while on board.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Did you go to the computers as they suggested? Perhaps there was information listed there on what you needed to do to get off the ship. I hope everything is okay.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Not sure I understand the dilema. Did you want to leave the ship before the ship got to the next port as in 'deploy a lifeboat and put you on it to take you to shore' or maybe have a helicopter airlift you off the ship?

Otherwise, you simply pack your bags and walk off the ship at the next port....take a taxi to the airport and fly home. Obviously Castaway Cay does not have an airport but I'm pretty sure all other ports have an airport accessible by taxi and/or shuttle.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Did you go to the computers as they suggested? Perhaps there was information listed there on what you needed to do to get off the ship. I hope everything is okay.

I think the OP's point is that in an emotional state, she had hoped for more support than to be told to make a purchase and Google it.

Not to mention, that DCL should be more familiar with the various ports and surrounding area, it's not unreasonable to think they would know where the closest airport is and how to get there.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

I agree with the OP that they should have some info to just give you. They should also provide free internet or phone to help you book your flight. It would not take to much effort to do this and would go a long way with a distraught and worried passenger.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

OP

I am sorry that there was a crisis in your personal life, especially that it happened so far from home. I hope that everything turned out okay.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

I think that GS did not understand what you wanted. It sounds like you were wanted to leave the ship in Grand Cayman and were trying to notify them? Did you get off the ship there and fly home?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I guess this is the reason that many travel insurance companies have emergency phone numbers for assistance in medical and other emergencies! Yes, I know those are primarily for the traveler, but I suspect they could assist in an emergency need to get home.

DCL gets rave reviews when something happens to a guest during a cruise--that they seem quite prepared to handle. I'm not sure why they didn't at least have a phone number to direct you to for assistance--airport, airline, travel agent, or whatever.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaOC-Mom View Post
I think the OP's point is that in an emotional state, she had hoped for more support than to be told to make a purchase and Google it.

Not to mention, that DCL should be more familiar with the various ports and surrounding area, it's not unreasonable to think they would know where the closest airport is and how to get there.

Agreed! The OP was in an emotional and unfamiliar situation. While I totally accept that DCL can not make alternate travel plans for someone, all this person asked for was some guidance. I am often accused of being a Disney apologist and in most cases I think they do the best job a business concern can do. But I think its odd that they don't even have even an information sheet regarding what steps to take should you need to leave the ship and return home. Its not like they are in unfamiliar ports.

I concur that a politely worded letter regarding your concerns is in order and hopefully it will spur them to get such information together.

I also hope things worked out okay at home. Few things are worse than being aware of an emergency and feeling helpless to do anything about it.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyandthetramp2 View Post
Hi
I just got off the the Wonder on 1/5/13. While on the cruise I had a MAJOR medical emergency at home. When I went to guest services while we were in Grand Cayman and asked how I go about leaving the ship due to an emergency (crying the whole time) the response I got was: Buy some internet mintues and go to the computer area.
WHAT???
I could not believe they didn't have a sheet to hand me titled something like When at this port here's what to do in case of emergency-with air port phone numbers etc.
I then asked to speak to someone else and got the same answer-go use the computers
This was my 5th Disney cruise I have been to the world at least 25 times and I always had nothing but good experiences and loved the customer service MAgic that Disney provides which made this experience so puzzling and upsetting to me.
I need to write a formal complaint to Disney-does anyone know who/how I can do this?
Thanks
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience and I hope your emergency was resolved satisfactorly. I agree with you amd I'm surprised Guest Services didn't handle it better.

All the best!

Mike
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: