Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Chavaleh
Mouseketeer

Shula's vs. The Yachtsman

At the risk of retreading old ground, I'd like to get opinions on the differences between these two steak joints. I've gone back and done a search but there don't seem to be a lot of actual reviews for Shula's beyond people voting for it on various steakhouse threads. My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary this August and I'm looking for the perfect place for the actual anniversary dinner. While I'd love to do V&As my husband wouldn't enjoy the experience quite as much as I would since he's not one for fussy food and the idea of a nice steakhouse really appeals to us both.

Which is more romantic? How do they compare and contrast?

Thanks!
Chavaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

Shula's is the way to go. Excellent service, very few kids, quiet, classy & fabulous food. A dining experience.

The food at YSH is good, don't get me wrong but the dining room gets loud & chaotic. The servers are very robotic in our opinion. Efficient but not happy.

To us there is really no comparison.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

All-in-all, Shula's seems to be more 'adult', and the fact that none of the Swan & Dolphin establishments takes Disney dining has a great deal to do with the marginally upscale ambiance.

The food can be more a matter of personal choice.

YSH has more complete entrees with protein, starch, and vegetable that we are most accustomed to be eating. The steaks are well regarded, but DisBoard does seem to preference the 'Meatness' of Shula's to YSH. Either way, the food at YSH is very good.

Shula's meals are a la carte and protein most often comes absent any sides. Of course, you can select those sides for an additional charge. Unless folks want to learn about steak options, I find the table-side presentation of uncooked meat to be unnecessary. The football memorabilia adorning the wood paneled rooms is certainly no less manly with a printed menu being presented on a professional size football to each table. Coach Don Shula led the only football team to be undefeated in the regular season and through the Superbowl.

Will your husband be more grumpy about price or man-cave ambiance?

If you really want fish, be careful, because Shula's does not carry an abundance of lobster (waiter told us there are only a few each night; we bought last one twice at 6:30pm dinners). I have been repeatedly disappointed in Florida Crab Claw menu item not being available while visiting during harvest season. On the other hand, the steaks and other meat were outstanding; sides were steakhouse portions. My wife prefers enjoying her favorite Disney Dessert - chocolate souffle - at the bar with a late evening glass of port; dessert can be a struggle after a 2 lb. steak.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Chavaleh
Mouseketeer

For this meal he's not going to care too much about price or man-caviness. Non steak options aren't really an issue either since we're choosing a steakhouse for dead cow (or at least I am, should he order anything but I will make fun of him). Most of the nicer steak places here do side dishes separately too so that wasn't a shock. Neither of us are sports people and I had no idea it had anything to do with football at all until I saw the pics on allears.

Which the souffle sounds delicious I'd rather fill up on steak. :D
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 View Post
Shula's is the way to go. Excellent service, very few kids, quiet, classy & fabulous food. A dining experience.

The food at YSH is good, don't get me wrong but the dining room gets loud & chaotic. The servers are very robotic in our opinion. Efficient but not happy.

To us there is really no comparison.
DITTO!

The OP asked about romantic too. Well, that's tough. While I wouldn't call a sports themed restaurant pointedly romantic, it's very upscale You have candles and actual tablecloths, but paper or whatever as a "sorts" themed place is more likely to have. Don't think about stereotypes when you think sports and Shulas. You are treated with superb staff that are every much as upscale as you'd like them to be. Dh and I aren't into spots at all, but found Shula's very romantic for our 20th anniversary dinner. YS was nice enough but with the overwhelming better food at Shula's any ambiance perks YS had quickly paled. You WILL be stuffed, as in THANKSGIVING stuffed, but DO order the chocolate souffle!

Dang it, now I'm hungry for MEAT.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

I'll join the crowd.

Shulas has better cuts of meat. It is more quiet in that there are few--if any--children there. Tho there are football pics around the restaurant, it is hardly sports themed--in fact, often they will have Sinatra songs as background music. The service in the dining room is excellent--altho we always eat at the bar and get a full meal there.

Not that YSH is bad--it isn't. It's pretty good. But not as nice as Shulas.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
mhnewcomb
Mouseketeer

We loved our date night at Shula's! It really is a nice place to eat and escape the Disney mania for a little while.

If you happen to be staying in a villa with a microwave, go ahead and plan to eat twice (maybe more?) from whatever you order there. I had a delicious prime rib and potatoes breakfast the morning after our dinner.

mhnewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Chavaleh
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a consensus for Shula's. The husband was a little worried when I mentioned the football connection to him (we're realllllllllly not sports people) but sounds like it isn't overdone or too sports bar like.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

I didn't care for Shula's when I went. The service was excellent though I must say. At dessert time Shula's was sold out of the first two desserts we wanted. He ended up giving us the only dessert they had left for free. We were there pretty early too so I don't get why they were sold out. I won't go back because I prefer YSH myself. To each their own. I also found it WAYYYYYY too dark in Shula's.

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Boma's Banana Bread recipe & review!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
bszoo
Mouseketeer

Have eaten at both and enjoyed both, but Shula's wins hands down! Best service I've ever had very attentive but not hovering. Steak was phenomenal and the sides will feed two. I was able to take leftovers back to the villa for two more meals -admittedly we ordered too many sides. Also ordered the chocolate souffle - best chocolate dessert ever!! This was our date night for our last trip and it did not disappoint!!!
bszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavaleh View Post
Sounds like a consensus for Shula's. The husband was a little worried when I mentioned the football connection to him (we're realllllllllly not sports people) but sounds like it isn't overdone or too sports bar like.
Like I mentioned, we aren't even close to sports people, but the owner, Don Shula, is of football fame and there's no shame in honoring that. It's very tasteful (other than that silly ball you get for a few minutes in the beginning ). It IS Shula themed and that's that. It's tasteful and non-distracting. AWESOME meat!!!

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Did Shula's a few weeks ago and it was great. 6 of us did 12 oz fillets, porters, scallops and 4 sides.

Noticed back home they took Tables in Wonderland which we had. Didn't even think of it. It was a great night.

We are fillet folks but that porter was amazing.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Chavaleh
Mouseketeer

Sounds great. We're actually going to pick up a TiW card while we're there in May so I'm glad they take it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: