Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
pghsteelerfan
Earning My Ears

AKL vs WL

I'm planning a trip for December 2013 and can't decide between the AKL villas and the WL villas. Maybe I can get some help here to help me decide! We're a family of 5. Myself, DH, DD (8), DS (7), and DS (4). My mom and brother will also be joining us. My son is a huge animal fan and the idea of the savannah room is super exciting for him. The Adults of the group prefer the WL, but would be fine staying at AKL. We will have a car. Prefer a room close to a restaurant to be able to refill our mugs. My mom has some difficulty walking so less walking to a room would be better. I would just go for WL, but I'm afraid we might not get another chance to do AKL savannah room because of budget. We can better afford it this time since my mom and brother are joining us. What should I do? Advice please!
pghsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
DEA
DIS Veteran

I like AKL (although I'm staying at WL this weekend). It's a newer resort, so the benefit of years of experience in building resorts to get more things right, IMO. Note that the refill locations for AKV (Kidani Village) for the beverage mugs will be at the store and at the pool bar, because there is no QS restaurants there.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

AKV would be my choice. I might choose Jambo house because of more dining options. I can't see much difference in distances -both (AKV or WLV) would require some walking to refill a mug for example.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 Hong Kong Disneyland *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

I see that you are a Steeler fan; I won't hold that against you.

I personally like the WL better than the AKL (even with the animals); I just like it's theme and location better. The WL is also more compact. But with that said, I do like the AKL. Since you have a car it does make it easier for you to get around since the AKL is out there a bit. It sounds like your heart is set on AKL and this is the way I would go then. However, if you do give into the others and settle on the WL I am convinced you will enjoy that resort as well.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Karabee
DIS Veteran

I would pick AKL in a heartbeat. WL was nice, but just doesn't do it for us. AKL is lovely and there are great restaurants, a wonderful pool, and the best part - animals all around! We could easily just spend a day there enjoying the grounds and learning so much by the people who work there. That being said, some people will say AKL is "so far" from everything but I never found that. AKL is farthest from MK and WL is farthest from AK. Getting to EPCOT and HS and everything else is about the same. As for bus service, it depends on the driver, the crowds and the day! For me AKL just seems more magical with the wonderful environment, but they are both nice. Enjoy!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
pghsteelerfan
Earning My Ears

I actually prefer WL. I, too, like the theme of a wilderness type experience as opposed to an African theme...esp. at Xmas. It's my 7 y/o DS who has his heart set on AKL. I just wonder if the animal view is worth it. Can you see the animals often outside the balcony or is it one of those things where there might be one stray wild animal every so often? I was going to set aside one day to spend at the resort to swim and do activities at the resort during this trip since we'll be staying at a deluxe resort. I want to take advantage of the stuff there this trip! I was also thinking about booking dinner at Boma and then taking advantage of the night vision goggles after dinner. Was thinking this would make up for the lack of the animal view if we stay at WL.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I don't even mind that some advice came from a Steeler hater
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghsteelerfan View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies. I don't even mind that some advice came from a Steeler hater
For what it's worth, I married into a family of Steeler fans. My wife and her family are from the New Kensington/Vandergrift area (N.E. of Pittsburgh) and are big Steeler fans.

Good luck with your decision. If you are all wanting to stay at the WL but your 7 year old is set on the animals at AKL, perhaps a split stay may be an answer. I personally don't like to up root in the middle of a vacation and change resorts but there are many on the DIS who love to do it.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
pghsteelerfan
Earning My Ears

I'm from the south hills of Pgh...I think if you're from that area there is absolutely no choice who you root for! I thought about the split stay, but like you, I don't like to be uprooted. I just can't decide between the two! UGH! Thanks for all of the help!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

Hello!

Just a question to start off - will you be staying in the villas in one of these resorts?(WLV or AKLV Kidani or Jambo). I'm also asking bc I'm wondering if your family and your mom and brother will all be staying together or in separate rooms.

If so here is my trip report from this past summer on AKLV Kidani:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

As for location I like WL better bc it is right near MK - and has a boat to it. They also have nice amenities. AKL was VERY nice. As you will see in my trip report my only concern with it is that there are really no good QS options. Jambo had a great QS. Kidani did have the better pool area and animal viewing spots then Jambo.

In the end its completely up to you and your family. Good Luck deciding!!!

-FantasiaMagic

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran

AKL has some long hallways, we've stayed at both but prefer WL. My DD loves animals too and she probably spent 20 minutes checking out the animals and then for the next 8 days all she wanted to do was swim.
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
pghsteelerfan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
AKL has some long hallways, we've stayed at both but prefer WL. My DD loves animals too and she probably spent 20 minutes checking out the animals and then for the next 8 days all she wanted to do was swim.
I kind of have the feeling the same thing would happen with my son! We'll end up planning the vacation around him and then he'll spend 20 minutes looking at the animals. Did u have a savannah view room?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
pghsteelerfan
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE="FantasiaMagic"]Hello!

Just a question to start off - will you be staying in the villas in one of these resorts?(WLV or AKLV Kidani or Jambo). I'm also asking bc I'm wondering if your family and your mom and brother will all be staying together or in separate rooms.

We'll be staying in a two bedroom villa. I'm renting points using David's Vacation Club. From my understanding the AKV rental location will depend on what's available. Kidani would probably be my choice out of the two for the nicer pool!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghsteelerfan View Post
I kind of have the feeling the same thing would happen with my son! We'll end up planning the vacation around him and then he'll spend 20 minutes looking at the animals. Did u have a savannah view room?
No we just had a pool view, the main reason I didn't get a savannah view is because we are usually only in the room to sleep and shower and it seemed like a waste of money for us. But perhaps that would have made it more interesting if she could have seen them from our balcony.
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: